Markers Placed by Old Columbia Rd.

IndyGuy4KI

I highly doubt that these items are for anything significant.  Given the current situation, I doubt that Cedar Fair is jumping on the capital expenditure projects.  Keep in mind that most of the Cedar Fair parks did not get to debut their 2020 additions for this season.  With the lack of income coming into Cedar Fair, they are not going to spend large amounts of capital for new projects in 2021.  The earliest would be 2022, and even then, that maybe some what limited depending on how things shape up in 2021.

• Like 3

I think at the very best these markers could be for a new entrance or a resurfaced parking lot which would honestly be amazing! I would be inclined to think these markers would be for work on electrical or water lines, but there are distinct colors for those utilities. Since most of the markers are temporary, I could also see them being used as early land surveying for a project way down the line. I know Kings Island is not going to add anything major for the next few years, but maybe the park is just getting measurements and soil samples for future years when they start planning a new attraction. The area in question, especially near Congo Falls and Invertigo has long been rumored to be the site of a future rollercoaster, so this makes sense. However, we likely won’t see anything major here for AT LEAST 3-4 years.

2 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

I highly doubt that these items are for anything significant.  Given the current situation, I doubt that Cedar Fair is jumping on the capital expenditure projects.  Keep in mind that most of the Cedar Fair parks did not get to debut their 2020 additions for this season.  With the lack of income coming into Cedar Fair, they are not going to spend large amounts of capital for new projects in 2021.  The earliest would be 2022, and even then, that maybe some what limited depending on how things shape up in 2021.

Canada’s Wonderland added back to back coasters after their attendance dipped due to the Coronavirus of 2002-04.

7 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

Canada’s Wonderland added back to back coasters after their attendance dipped due to the Coronavirus of 2002-04.

Wait.......what?

They got Silver Streak and Timewarp which were pretty cheap additions. Also that was when Paramount was in charge.

I hope we'd never get something like Timewarp to boost attendance..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

True, but Time Warp was not planned. It was added very late in the off season.

I'm sorry, I just don't see KI immediately doing anything like that. 

I used to have a thought that we could get something like a modified/ higher capacity Sky Rocket II model as filler until Vortex gets properly replaced. However, I think with where KI is now as a park, they're more interested in saving money for higher quality rides. If we were still under Paramount management, we'd have low budget clones galore. I'm quite happy waiting if it means something of a higher quality will come.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Then what do those markings in the video mean? If anyone here is in construction and knows what they mean, please feel free to let me know. 

Usually they are coded and numbered. For instance, if I was spraying up a road highlighting the sewer lines, I may make markings that say “sewer 1’ off”. The fact that we are getting markers for underground utilities and excavation is interesting.

• Like 1

I think you are pretty spot on. 

Keep in mind that the park recently put in fresh new concrete for the walkway to the front gate.  Not to say that they can`t rip it out, but generally they wouldn`t have done that if they knew they were going to be renovating the front gate area.  

I still maintain that this has NOTHING to do with anything that will be coming to KI, especially for next year.  Like I have previously stated, I would doubt that Cedar Fair adds anything to any of their parks for next season, other than attractions that have already been announced/were postponed from 2020.  Cedar Fair even stated in their conference call that they are looking to control cash burn, which includes capital expenditures.  I still think that this is much ado about nothing.  Likely utility markings/maintenance related for existing utilities.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SpectralBeacon said:

Little map update, this is where i saw the markers while out at work. Pretty sure its no big deal, a shuttle route of sorts would be the most major thing i would expect. 

Untitled-1.png

This is really making me feel like it is just going to be simple utility upgrades.

• Like 1

Just now, FUN&ONLY! said:

This is really making me feel like it is just going to be simple utility upgrades.

There was a large truck parked down one team near the right most circle that night too with what looked like some wire tubes or something so that sounds about right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Looks like to me they are burying the electric lines. That would make sense imo because that would give them more opportunities for the future if they build out in the front of the park, they wouldn't have issues with electric lines above ground.

That wouldn’t require the excavation of a portion of the preferred lot.

• Like 1