Markers Placed by Old Columbia Rd.

IndyGuy4KI

9 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

Same sort of markers we saw back in 2016.

E9C39BA2-E351-4493-8F1C-B41BC5AEE359.jpegF7A4119C-01B2-4DEA-9A7C-90D2519A11CA.jpeg

This does make me wonder. These survey marker ultimately aligned with the opening of Mystic Timbers the following year, right? If so, maybe we are seeing something more, but I still don’t think we are getting anything as big as a ride.

On 8/13/2020 at 6:52 PM, FUN&ONLY! said:

This does make me wonder. These survey marker ultimately aligned with the opening of Mystic Timbers the following year, right? If so, maybe we are seeing something more, but I still don’t think we are getting anything as big as a ride.

Those markers were for Mystic. Maybe it’s something in 2022. Rides can be built over the course of many years, as seen with TTD and other coasters.

It is also interesting there are reports of people surveying that area on Tuesday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

Maybe it’s something in 2022. Rides can be built over the course of two years, as seen with TTD and other coasters.

A new major rollercoaster in 2022 still seems unlikely considering Kings Island just got its largest investment ever and because Kings Island can easily market its 50th anniversary without a shiny new rollercoaster. However, these markings could be for a new entrance plaza, and I would be pretty excited for that. We already have a great entrance once you get past the main gate, and a reimagined main gate would elevate it that much more.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

A new major rollercoaster in 2022 still seems unlikely considering Kings Island just got its largest investment ever and because Kings Island can easily market its 50th anniversary without a shiny new rollercoaster. However, these markings could be for a new entrance plaza, and I would be pretty excited for that.

True, but in 2016 CP received Valravn at $22-$25 million, and they got Steel Vengeance in 2018 for $30 million. That was in very similar circumstances. 

1 minute ago, gforce1994 said:

True, but in 2016 CP received Valravn at $22-$25 million, and they got Steel Vengeance in 2018 for $30 million. That was in very similar circumstances. 

I just don’t see why Cedar Fair would be jumping on a new rollercoaster right now in the middle of a pandemic with an uncertain future. When Valravn opened, there was no pandemic.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I just don’t see why Cedar Fair would be jumping on a new rollercoaster right now in the middle of a pandemic with an uncertain future. When Valravn opened, there was no pandemic.

Here’s why. In 2003 Canada was hit by the SARS virus (a Coronavirus). After the initial outbreak died down, CW bought Time Warp. That move reportedly helped draw guests back into the park after the pandemic. 

5 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

Here’s why. In 2003 Canada was hit by the SARS virus (a Coronavirus). After the initial outbreak died down, CW bought Time Warp. That move reportedly helped draw guests back into the park after the pandemic. 

Orion can't do that more than one season for us?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, beastfan11 said:

Probably has something to do with that green Intamin track from a few years ago.

Supposedly the green Intamin track was damaged during the International Street renovation last year which is a huge bummer.

Please take this as a joke...

People are going to come back to parks regardless of what they add next season (given we get a normal season) as most people opted to not go this year and are probably going to do a lot of things they couldn't do this year in droves.  

1 minute ago, silver2005 said:

People are going to come back to parks regardless of what they add next season (given we get a normal season) as most people opted to not go this year and are probably going to do a lot of things they couldn't do this year in droves.  

That is if they find a vaccine and administer it during offseason.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

There has been a sighting of a marker inside the park by the old SOB queue.

Is the marker near Son of Beast’s queue orange or pink? If it is orange, I think it has to do with communication while pink would be a temporary marker as previously mentioned.

32 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

There has been a sighting of a marker inside the park by the old SOB queue.

I think I remember there being a few markers back in The Bat queue in 2017 and everyone starting getting excited and it ended up being just the tree being removed.]

Also, can you tell me where you got this information and if you have a pic can you share it? Thanks.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I think I remember there being a few markers back in The Bat queue in 2017 and everyone starting getting excited and it ended up being just the tree being removed.]

Also, can you tell me where you got this information and if you have a pic can you share it? Thanks.

The marker has gone up since park opening.

It looks like they're just tidying up some infrastructure. Those old posts on Columbia Road (both the waterpark side and the side first pictured in this thread) are quite old and honestly kind of ugly. Burying the various utility lines both over there and then on the employee parking lot and Soak City side would make things look nicer than a bunch of old pre-park above ground posts all the way down the front perimeter, and would complete what was started when they buried the ones in the Soak City expansion area and re-routed the road to accommodate said expansion.

For the Son of Beast queue area, there's probably still a bunch of old phone lines, electrical, etc back there that originally served Son of Beast itself. Maybe while they're at it they're also just taking out that old infrastructure and cleaning things up. The alleged line from Invertigo's queue area over to Congo could be old abandoned Queue TV lines being removed.

Heck, someone mentioned some time back that O'Rourke allegedly had a contract with the park to do something in addition to Vortex, just can't remember where that got posted. Maybe they're finally going to remove the eyesore that is the Son of Beast station? Wouldn't need any of the old power or communication lines leading back there if they're removing it, would they?

Or maybe I'm just wrong and they're getting ready to build an Intamin launched single-rail wing-dive strata hybrid that runs the entire span of the front of the park, from Timberwolf to Soak City and back...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PKIDelirium said:

It looks like they're just tidying up some infrastructure. Those old posts on Columbia Road (both the waterpark side and the side first pictured in this thread) are quite old and honestly kind of ugly. Burying the various utility lines both over there and then on the employee parking lot and Soak City side would make things look nicer than a bunch of old pre-park above ground posts all the way down the front perimeter, and would complete what was started when they buried the ones in the Soak City expansion area and re-routed the road to accommodate said expansion.

For the Son of Beast queue area, there's probably still a bunch of old phone lines, electrical, etc back there that originally served Son of Beast itself. Maybe while they're at it they're also just taking out that old infrastructure and cleaning things up. The alleged line from Invertigo's queue area over to Congo could be old abandoned Queue TV lines being removed.

Heck, someone mentioned some time back that O'Rourke allegedly had a contract with the park to do something in addition to Vortex, just can't remember where that got posted. Maybe they're finally going to remove the eyesore that is the Son of Beast station? Wouldn't need any of the old power or communication lines leading back there if they're removing it, would they?

Or maybe I'm just wrong and they're getting ready to build an Intamin launched single-rail wing-dive strata hybrid that runs the entire span of the front of the park, from Timberwolf to Soak City and back...

I do agree that it could be simple infrastructure upgrades like burying telephone lines and demolishing the Son of Beast station, but that raises the question... why now? Kings Island has had years to demolish the old Son of Beast station and bury the ugly telephone lines, but it is now that they are finally jumping the gun. I still don’t think anything is coming for a couple years, but these infrastructure upgrades could be done as preparation for a project later down the line.

Why now? Maybe scheduling. There’s no Haunt to set up, no more weekday operations, no WinterFest, etc. It could simply be providing them time to do some housekeeping. There’s also now more than a full year to come up with a replacement for Wolf Pack, which is basically the only reason the old Son of Beast station is still there at all.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, PKIDelirium said:

Why now? Maybe scheduling. There’s no Haunt to set up, no more weekday operations, no WinterFest, etc. It could simply be providing them time to do some housekeeping. There’s also now more than a full year to come up with a replacement for Wolf Pack, which is basically the only reason the old Son of Beast station is still there at all.

I still think a relatively minor project like this could happen with or without Halloween Haunt or Winterfest, but nevertheless, I am all for the park making visual improvements in burying the power lines and demolishing the Son of Beast station. Also, while some people may be disappointed if the Son of Beast station is torn down for nostalgic reasons, it really is an eyesore and the haunt that is inside of it isn’t anything special either. I also hope they take out that old overflow queue line near The Bat’s exit path.

31 minutes ago, PKIDelirium said:

There’s also now more than a full year to come up with a replacement for Wolf Pack, which is basically the only reason the old Son of Beast station is still there at all.

I wonder if they'd leave it up. Its the only piece of SOB still standing and there are instances where parks leave certain pieces of a ride behind out of nostalgia

Also not to sound like the conspiracy theorist but there's still a little bit of track left standing so in theory the ride hasn't been completely demolished

25 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I wonder if they'd leave it up. Its the only piece of SOB still standing and there are instances where parks leave certain pieces of a ride behind out of nostalgia

Also not to sound like the conspiracy theorist but there's still a little bit of track left standing so in theory the ride hasn't been completely demolished

I don’t see why they would keep Son of Beast’s station around simply out of nostalgia. Kings Island already built a Son of Beast memorial in the queue line for Banshee, and they demolished Vortex’s station which had a much greater history to it. In all honesty, I think Kings Island only kept Son of Beast’s station because it was a cheap way to add another haunt maze. Unless they can find a way to repurpose the station, it will continue to stand as a seldom used eyesore that will confuse the general public. I think the tombstone in Banshee’s queue line is enough of a nostalgic remembrance.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Unless they can find a way to repurpose the station

That's what I'm saying. I wonder if they ever had plans to repurpose the station, even if a super small percentage. Maybe they're mentality is, once its gone, its gone which takes away from any future possibilities.

Like I said, I don't want to sound like the conspiracy theorist but as long as there's track still standing, there's a possibility of something coming, even if its a 1% chance. I like to think they removed Vortex's station to signify that they're starting off with a clean slate. Leaving SOB's station and switchbacks will always present that "what-if" element no matter what park officials say to combat that. As long as things things stay, there will always remain the possibility of it being repurposed, no matter how small that percentage is.

Then again its in a part of the park that receives very low foot traffic so maybe they aren't as worried of how it looks visually; heck you can even seen the Blackout building. Look how long it took to make the Killmart building blend in Coney Mall and that itself is in a part of the park that experiences a lot of high foot traffic.

• Like 3

I do agree that keeping the old Son of Beast station opens up possibilities, but considering how high it is off the ground and just how weird it looks with all of its ramps, I think the park would likely opt to demolish it and build a new station for a future rollercoaster like they did with Firehawk’s station and that is also likely why they demolished Vortex’s station. It is a lot easier to start from scratch then try to fit a new ride into an old station that would need to be re-engineered.

Speaking of Vortex, when I saw its former site a few weeks ago, I noticed that maybe the photo booth remained. Can anyone confirm this?