Markers Placed by Old Columbia Rd.

IndyGuy4KI

31 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I do think the Son of Beast station has served its last Halloween Haunt and is probably going to be demolished in the off season, but why? It doesn’t make sense to spend money on demolishing the station when they can just not spend the money and not lose anything. I don’t think they are putting a ride in there anytime soon, but this will an be interesting development to watch if the station ends up being demolished later this year.

General Improvements? Restaurant? Wouldn't it be cool to eat out on a deck structure while watching Banshee go flying by? Like I said before, the park doesn't spend money unless they need to for a project. Doesn't always mean a new ride. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Oldschool75 said:

General Improvements? Restaurant? Wouldn't it be cool to eat out on a deck structure while watching Banshee go flying by? Like I said before, the park doesn't spend money unless they need to for a project. Doesn't always mean a new ride. 

The only problem is that it would be kinda hard to access since that area is out of the way on a narrow pathway. 

16 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

He is referring to this. They flipped on the old Flight Commander lights before razing the station and announcing KMAA

20180427_205918-2.png

So are you saying that they are turning light on and off and they are gonna tear this down and build a new old car ride???  Why would they do another one?

• Haha 1

To be frank, the SOB station and that whole region of the park needs to open up for future expansion into the old Safari plains if they want to grow the park out. If you remove SOB's station, regrade the whole area to be more open, the various choke points that were once an issue turns into a walkway that easily takes you into a new area of the park. I don't personally see such an expansion for a long time, but it's just something to be mindful of for the future of the park. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, gforce1994 said:

Absolutely. There are numerous rides that could fit in the spot. Didn’t Carowinds get a Musik Express?

Yes, when they did their flats addition a few years back they got a Zephyr, a Top Scan, a Musik Express, and a Troika.  Either a Top Scan or Musik Express would fit nicely in that Killmart spot.  If money were no object, I'd probably put a Top Scan down by Shake, Rattle, and Roll and put the Musik Express where Killmart is.

6 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

While another flat in coney mall would be nice I really think Rivertown or Oktoberfest could use a new flat more.

I absolutely agree.90141AA5-8B46-43DB-948D-5EF1A5D49EB7.jpeg

Here’s another idea, the spot could be used for Shake Rattle and Roll- allowing for more open land on the old Vortex site.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

I absolutely agree.90141AA5-8B46-43DB-948D-5EF1A5D49EB7.jpeg

Here’s another idea, the spot could be used for Shake Rattle and Roll- allowing for more open land on the old Vortex site.

I am not holding my breath this means anything significant. Although, a flat for family members waiting on Orion and FOF riders would be a nice addition.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I am not holding my breath this means anything significant. Although, a flat for family members waiting on Orion and FOF riders would be a nice addition.

However, the presence of markers are rather interesting. It is interesting that markers are being placed around a  building people have considered out of place.

I could see the building possibly being torn down to make way for something new in 2022, Kings Island’s 50th anniversary season. Whether it is a new restaurant, museum, throwback ride, or nothing at all going there, I could see a lot of attention being directed towards Coney Mall in 2022. I would also love for the Coney Mall sign to return and for The Racer to be repainted.

• Like 1

Speaking of Kill Mart/the old Skeeball building.  Out of curiosity, does KI still have Skeeball in any of the arcades?  Its been at least 20 years since I've even been in one of the arcades at KI. It was a HUGE deal (once upon a time) at KI.  You used have to wait in line to play sometimes.

Side note - if they were ever to bring back a Fascintation Parlor, I'd never want to leave.  For old schoolers, such as me, that game was more fun than I can even describe.  There's VERY few left... but is, by far, my favorite "game" that I ever played at a park.  

Also, most parks have eliminated shooting galleries - which also used to draw a crowd.

I've never understood why those sorts of things disappeared from KI - technology I guess - but they were very "activity and amusement" driven games that always drew people...and their money.

• Like 3

I don't consider the building to be out of place, but I consider the usage to be out of place. As an arcade building, the placement is fine. As a Haunt building that's just a facade the rest of the time, a main midway building isn't exactly great. Dedicated buildings for Haunt attractions are fine, but I'd rather them be out of the way instead of taking perfectly good midway space.

I don't mind Urgent Scare's use of Action Theater, because Action Theater is otherwise defunct and back behind a closed gate out of sight. I would like to see the former TRTR/Crypt building either demolished or put to proper use and the SoB station removed, both for aesthetic reasons, even if it means bringing back temporary outdoor structures for some of the Haunts.

Edit: @Shaggy Even in the Skeeball Arcade, for at least the last two seasons it was actually an arcade, there was no Skeeball in there. There was a shooting gallery in the place of one of the former Skeeball rows, but a fairly generic looking one that didn't seem to get much attention.

• Like 5

The only arcade I tend to wander into is the main one in Coney Mall. Most recent being Winterfest last year. I mainly only venture in there when the lines are too insane to bear. To be honest, most of the games were well kept and there were some pretty modern games, and decent prizes, which honestly surprised me. Has the arcade in the building next to Beast been open this year, I haven't looked yet. Sorry if we're getting a little off topic, but the small stuff like this always intrigues me. You can have the greatest coasters and rides, but I always try to pay attention to the infrastructure and you can always tell a park cares and has self pride when everything is managed down to the smallest little thing.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CoasterJack said:

The only arcade I tend to wander into is the main one in Coney Mall. Most recent being Winterfest last year. I mainly only venture in there when the lines are too insane to bear. To be honest, most of the games were well kept and there were some pretty modern games, and decent prizes, which honestly surprised me. Has the arcade in the building next to Beast been open this year, I haven't looked yet. Sorry if we're getting a little off topic, but the small stuff like this always intrigues me. You can have the greatest coasters and rides, but I always try to pay attention to the infrastructure and you can always tell a park cares and has self pride when everything is managed down to the smallest little thing.

It has been open this year.

It’s also interesting to note a few more markers were observed heading away from the building. Similar markers were seen prior to Woodstock Gliders and the Coney BarBQue projects.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

It has been open this year.

It’s also interesting to note a few more markers were observed heading away from the building. Similar markers were seen prior to Woodstock Gliders and the Coney BarBQue projects.

In what direction were the markers heading, and do you have any pictures?

13 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Speaking of Kill Mart/the old Skeeball building.  Out of curiosity, does KI still have Skeeball in any of the arcades?  Its been at least 20 years since I've even been in one of the arcades at KI. It was a HUGE deal (once upon a time) at KI.  You used have to wait in line to play sometimes.

I went to the CM arcade in front of Racer a couple years ago during an afternoon thunderstorm, and I'm pretty sure they had a handful of skee ball lanes next to the pop a shots.  I was pretty unimpressed with the state of the arcade at the time.  It was like being at a Chuck E Cheese.  It was nothing at all like I remember from when I was a kid in the 80s, but arcades were a lot more popular back then.

• Like 1

What if they are going to what I have been ridiculed for some time about:  An indoor eatery similar to Brewhouse with patio dining views of The Racer?  Climate controlled spaces are rare on that side of the park and with continued Winterfest success are needed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

What if they are going to what I have been ridiculed for some time about:  An indoor eatery similar to Brewhouse with patio dining views of The Racer?  Climate controlled spaces are rare on that side of the park and with continued Winterfest success are needed.

That is a good point. However the only section that is lacking with any sort of indoor dining is Planet Snoopy.