Markers Placed by Old Columbia Rd.

IndyGuy4KI

Based off the markers I’ve seen from riding the front seat of The Bat. (about 700ft away.) The only logical conclusion is that we are getting a railroad expansion. Why use bus shuttles when the park has 2 capable locomotives that can do the job. Here’s what it would look like: 

3364F668-26C0-425F-8FE9-5543C0D288C2.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Tr0y said:

Based off the markers I’ve seen from riding the front seat of The Bat. (about 700ft away.) The only logical conclusion is that we are getting a railroad expansion. Why use bus shuttles when the park has 2 capable locomotives that can do the job. Here’s what it would look like: 

3364F668-26C0-425F-8FE9-5543C0D288C2.jpeg

• Haha 5

Did the park open the dorms this year as planned?

Also, for the people who say "It's only about a half mile" try working 13 hours in a hot sticky day, then telling your International workers "Just hike about a half mile in the pitch black back to your dorm."

Also, who's to say it's a shuttle route?  Maybe they are just adding lights along the path so it's not a walk in the dark.  Maybe the excavation in the parking lot is making a connecting path so they can drive them over to the employee gate, which is just on the other side of the main gate.

• Like 1

The lathes with the pink flagging and paint on the pavement are survey control markers (traverse points, or turning points) to run control to, or occupy with GPS equipment to get an accurate location. In grass, they would be iron pins if somewhat permanent for a long-term use. If short-term, big carpenter nails.  In the pavement they use what are called PK Nails or survey spikes (magnetic so they can be recovered if covered in grime or tar)

The white paint marks potential excavation to marked by OUPS (utility one-call), or, areas that the utility markings are needed.  A call into the service usually is referenced by street name and/or cross road --- in some areas this is tough -  so the service requires white paint marks to show areas where markings are needed. The green line - painted by the County sewer department as a result of the OUPS call - shows the location of an existing sanitary sewer that will be located by the surveyor.

All these markings tell me there is an active property or topographic survey is going on.   

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Old_Bearcat said:

The lathes with the pink flagging and paint on the pavement are survey control markers (traverse points, or turning points) to run control to, or occupy with GPS equipment to get an accurate location. In grass, they would be iron pins if somewhat permanent for a long-term use. If short-term, big carpenter nails.  In the pavement they use what are called PK Nails or survey spikes (magnetic so they can be recovered if covered in grime or tar)

The white paint marks potential excavation to marked by OUPS (utility one-call), or, areas that the utility markings are needed.  A call into the service usually is referenced by street name and/or cross road --- in some areas this is tough -  so the service requires white paint marks to show areas where markings are needed. The green line - painted by the County sewer department as a result of the OUPS call - shows the location of an existing sanitary sewer that will be located by the surveyor.

All these markings tell me there is an active property or topographic survey is going on.   

That would be correct, i made the same deduction. The fact surveyors have been observed conducting a survey of the elevation of the land is rather interesting, IMO. 

• Like 1

Nothing can be gleaned from the survey markings as to what is being designed. It could be anything from new drainage to the aforementioned access road, it could even be an effort to set out a new boundary division to split the land out that contains the parking lots....who knows....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

2018: predicted Giga coaster from horizontal construction related to installation of expanded runoff system - got Orion

2018 CP: Predicted removal of Witches Wheel in 2019 - got BBQ.

You might think I have zero credibility, but I have shown you two cases where I made an accurate prediction well ahead of time.

Hate to break it to you, Chief. This site has been wishing a giga into existence since before Dinosaurs Alive was announced. You can’t take credit for that shared delusion. Every time the park does so much as move a trash can some folks here start raising money for first rider auctions so they can ride a make believe coaster before everyone else. A broken clock is right twice a day! 

Sheesh. I hate to sound like a Johnny Raincloud, but seriously. We can’t use the “B” word to (fairly) reference the size of a new addition, but this guy is allowed to spam this thread every time someone spray paints concrete?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Honestly, am I wrong in just hoping that this is the beginning of repaving the parking lot? I believe some sprucing up around the property would be perfectly aligned with the park’s 50th anniversary. 

I know something as simple as a parking lot sounds trivial, but for first time visitors, the parking lot leaves a less than desired first impression. :( I love our park and would love for new people to have the best experience possible from the moment they enter the parking lot. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, rhyano said:

I just want to point out that we're in a pandemic that's hurting everyone right now, some people are without jobs to pay for basic needs, Kings Island is NOT investing in any sort of ride or attraction.

How do you know something wasn’t already paid for? 
Currently we have over 40 markers, in a 5 acre plot of land. 

• Like 1

They wouldn't have planned another major coaster the year after the biggest investment in park history, even before COVID-19. Early 2000s Six Flags doesn't own the park.

It's always fun to look at work going on in the park and speculate about future additions. Let's stay focused on what's within the realm of possibility, though.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

How do you know something wasn’t already paid for? 

Um I asked my dad this and he said he don't know but he didn't think companies pay for big things like roller casters up front...like they pay for them in peices. And then he started talking about general contracters like when we built my house.  He said like with oroin King's island probably don't have 30 million dollar laying around just like we didn't. So just get over it dude I'm a just a kid and there ain't no roller caster coming this close to oroin and stop being like mean Sally

Mom showed my a funny YouTube video and called this guy a shrub. And she said kic is the best friend ride and this guy that thinks he knows it all is trying to hang on to the passenger side and holler at us lol

2 hours ago, Old_Bearcat said:

Just want to take a moment and say thank you for this post.  I appreciate you taking the time to explain things and walk through your thought process logically. This really allows us as readers to understand the conclusions without jumping through hoops.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, malem said:

They wouldn't have planned another major coaster the year after the biggest investment in park history, even before COVID-19. Early 2000s Six Flags doesn't own the park.

It's always fun to look at work going on in the park and speculate about future additions. Let's stay focused on what's within the realm of possibility, though.

The question is, with 5-year plans allowing wiggle room (flat ride becomes coaster that couldn’t be built at original park), could a coaster planned in the original 5 year plan still be built?

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

The question is, with 5-year plans allowing wiggle room (flat ride becomes coaster that couldn’t be built at original park), could a coaster planned in the original 5 year plan still be built?

What 5-year plan?  How about you throw the people a bone here and give us some context--it really helps for intelligent discussion.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Remember 5 year plans can change. I have a feeling the park and Cedar Fair is looking more short term right now than long term. I believe @IndyGuy4KI interviewed Chad a couple years ago and he said that plans can change in a day. I have a feeling a bunch of 5 year plans have changed as a result of the pandemic especially for the parks that were unable to open this year. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Haven't we discussed ad nauseam that 5 year plans are kind of a myth?  

I wouldn’t say so. They’re kind of like the rough draft of research reports. They can change at a moments notice depending on the data being returned from the experiment. This pandemic will have a greater impact on future years 2024 onwards, rather than 2022 because of the contracts that have been made and signed.

12 hours ago, Benjamin22 said:

^ I don’t think there’s much incentive for the park to do that. Having a shuttle for the campground would mean none of those guest are going to be paying for the parking lot toll.

They are gong to get gate sales and per caps spending. I think this could be a good partnership for both parties.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

They are gong to get gate sales and per caps spending I think this could be a good partnership for both parties.

Is the park running a shuttle service really going to make more people visit the park to justify buying and operating a shuttle service? A shuttle service seems like something that would benefit the camp ground more then the park . People drive to a campground so it’s very likely most of the guests staying at that campground would be able & willing to drive to the park without there being a shuttle service. I just don’t think there would be much revenue lost by not operating a shuttle service. If the campground wanted to operate a shuttle service no partnership would be necessary.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

If the campground wanted to operate a shuttle service no partnership would be necessary.

I think they'd have to get permission from KI to drive down the stretch of road by the dorms since its their property which it where I feel the partnership would come in. I think if guests at the campground wanted to spend the extra money to park in the lot and not wait on a shuttle that's completely fine. I think its all about convenience. If you're a guest at the campground you'd have the option to either shuttle or drive yourself. Maybe the campground could factor in an additional $10 to each nightly stay. For example, a site would have an actual nightly rate of say $60 but they actually charge $70 to cover the cost to operate the "complimentary"  shuttle. Maybe with that money they could pay KI to allow a shuttle on their stretch of Columbia Road.

• Like 1