Jump to content

Markers Placed by Old Columbia Rd.


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

I think they'd have to get permission from KI to drive down the stretch of road by the dorms since its their property which it where I feel the partnership would come in. 

If the campground were to run a shuttle service then they'd likely just use the drop off area, I believe that's what the Kings Island inn did.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Someone is awfully quiet all of a sudden...

I wish. I've been isolating as much as possible because I have people on my life I have to take care of and going out to places like KI, even with PPE, isn't worth it to me personally.

Posted Images

7 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Make sure its green too

Maybe the markers are for archeologists to dig up said Green Intamin track. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread has been cleaned up a bit. Lets not be disrespectful to each other.  It is not worth getting worked up over some flags and paint on the ground. Let's remember we are all here to talk and discuss Kings Island and the industry. 

 

Disclaimer:  KICentral.com does not endorse the markings being discussed in this thread as evidence of Kings Island receiving a coaster. There is no credibility to or evidence suggesting this being a roller coaster,  no matter what might be reported as fact by any other fan site.  Any discussions of this being a coaster are nothing but rumors by members on the KIC forum. If and when we hear what these markings are from the park, it will be reported as fact in the Kings Island Central Newsroom thread. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrSourNinja said:

Not sure if the railroad expansion was a joke or not but honestly I think that would be a very cool and unique addition. I’m game!

I agree with you.  I know it would be a huge expense to run it . . but I always wished the train went through or around the park somehow.  I mean I get the original format (was great) and why they changed it to what it is today.

It would be cool if it could go out closer to river and back around.  Maybe even a Frontier town with zip lines, etc..  Just a with list on my part.  :)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rlentless said:

I agree with you.  I know it would be a huge expense to run it . . but I always wished the train went through or around the park somehow.

Its funny that they didn't since KI was set up like a Disney Park with its layout yet our trains don't lap around the park. KI was relatively smaller compared to where it is today so maybe they didn't think having the train go around the whole park was worth it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The trains the park currently owns have a hard time with even a small grade.  I cannot remember which direction it occurs but there is enough of a raise in ground level that the trains have literally rolled backwards while under power, and have had to stop, back up, and try again.

Kings Island has very little flat ground, and making the train circle the park while not impossible would require several trestle bridges and likely would require new engines.  Doable, but not reasonable, although I would love to see it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kenban said:

The trains the park currently owns have a hard time with even a small grade.  I cannot remember which direction it occurs but there is enough of a raise in ground level that the trains have literally rolled backwards while under power, and have had to stop, back up, and try again.

The grade begins around where Mystic Timbers's tunnel/turn around is closer to the back of the engine house. If you ever ride it, you'll start to hear the engines begin to accelerate.

If you skip to 1:34 you can hear the engine start to accelerate as it approaches the curve 

In this video skip to 1:49 and you can see the engineer opening up the throttle and hearing the engine work up the hill

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

200.gif

Bacon man you are so funny and not like mean Sally because you make me laugh ekspecilay with old timey shows like this one I mean it's funny. Did you see the one when the kewl guy dressed up like the weirdo guy?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yogi bears jellystone campgrounds owned it first, then Kings Island bought it and it ran until 2004. Yes the campground did have a shuttle. I believe from both Jellystone and Kings Island both operated the shuttle, but you had to be staying at the campground.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Shawn Meyer said:

Yogi bears jellystone campgrounds owned it first, then Kings Island bought it and it ran until 2004. Yes the campground did have a shuttle. I believe from both Jellystone and Kings Island both operated the shuttle, but you had to be staying at the campground.

There wasn’t a shuttle, at least in later years. It was however a tram stop. You also didn’t need any proof that you were going to the camp ground. When I was just old enough to be dropped off at KI, my friends and I would ride the tram to the  campground, go through the woods, and end up on Kings Mills Drive. We’d hang out at the local restaurants and stuff. We thought we were rebels...

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I heard someone predict in a YouTube comment that we could get a shopping district like CityWalk or Downtown Disney. I highly doubt we'll see something like that, but just throwing it out there. 

That would be cool, but I think Cedar Fair would like to do that type of thing at a park like Cedar Point, Carowinds, Canada’s Wonderland, it California’s Great America before doing that at Kings Island.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2020 at 12:27 PM, Kenban said:
The trains the park currently owns have a hard time with even a small grade.  I cannot remember which direction it occurs but there is enough of a raise in ground level that the trains have literally rolled backwards while under power, and have had to stop, back up, and try again.
Kings Island has very little flat ground, and making the train circle the park while not impossible would require several trestle bridges and likely would require new engines.  Doable, but not reasonable, although I would love to see it.


I’ve heard about that with them not being insulated properly and having a tough time holding steam during Winterfest. Based off the amount of cars KI has for each train the grade is likely 1-1.5%. The current locomotives can navigate higher grades with pulling less cars. As per Crown in their catalog:     b251783e71763bd2a35e40deabd5b782.jpg


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tr0y said:


I’ve heard about that with them not being insulated properly and having a tough time holding steam during Winterfest. Based off the amount of cars KI has for each train the grade is likely 1-1.5%. The current locomotives can navigate higher grades with pulling less cars. As per Crown in their catalog:     b251783e71763bd2a35e40deabd5b782.jpg


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think we have a 1/2% grade. Also I believe they added covers to the pistons to try and hold as much steam as possible

44155.jpg

https://www.themeparkarchive.com/parks/kings-island/k.i.-&-miami-valley-railroad

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PKIDelirium said:

Oh, so NOW you’re down with this all just being infrastructure housekeeping and possible SoB station removal. Got it.

Well those wires have been cut. They’re not being replaced.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps the station has outlived its usefulness. Its possible this might've been planned for a while. Maybe Mr. Koontz is trying to phase out the recycled haunt buildings like SOB. The Killmart building was repainted to go along with the Antique Autos. Wolfpack is out of the way of the public eye for the most part, unless of course you ride The Bat, so if it got torn down not as many people would notice. The attraction's been around since what 2010? Its going on 10 years of service so maybe they're gonna demo the building or put a more modern haunt in it.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Perhaps the station has outlived its usefulness. Its possible this might've been planned for a while. Maybe Mr. Koontz is trying to phase out the recycled haunt buildings like SOB. The Killmart building was repainted to go along with the Antique Autos. Wolfpack is out of the way of the public eye for the most part, unless of course you ride The Bat, so if it got torn down not as many people would notice. The attraction's been around since what 2010? Its going on 10 years of service so maybe they're gonna demo the building or put a more modern haunt in it.

The thing is that people do notice. When I was taking pictures of the station, people kept on mentioning how that used to be the station for SOB.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Many who have been around for a while will confirm, the park doesn’t spend money unless they need to. The station does not need to be removed unless something is planned for that space. I will put down a $100 bill that if it coming down then something is planned for the space.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...