P&G cancels annual kings island employee buyout day

chuck norris

Citing their commitment to employee safety and their belief that gathering at KI was not a workable solution in light of COVID the company has canceled the annual event which has been at Kings Island since 1972.

The event is typically a Saturday and Sunday buyout in mid September between the regular season and start of haunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Anyone who's been to this can attest this is the weekend of magic because everything (and I do mean everything) is a walk on.   You can probably go on a 1-1 marathon of every coaster its so lightly crowded. 

Not surprised its cancelled though.  Although, with how light the crowds are that weekend, it'd be easy to social distance and such.  

• Like 3

I wonder if the company did a survey to see if employees were interested in attending.  There was a recent national survey that found that about 70% of people don't feel comfortable going to an amusement park right now.  I could see the majority of employees not wanting to go, which would really defeat the purpose of the buy out.

• Like 3

P&G has been very committed to keeping their employees safe. They were one of the first companies in Cincinnati to encourage employees to with from home, have started mask making and hand sanitizer operations to distribute to employees, etc.

I’m sure the idea of all of that effort to ensure safety and not even come into the office unless critical, didn’t line up with the idea of bringing their entire Cincinnati based employee population to one location. The business risk if an outbreak occurred would just be too great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, silver2005 said:

Anyone who's been to this can attest this is the weekend of magic because everything (and I do mean everything) is a walk on.   You can probably go on a 1-1 marathon of every coaster its so lightly crowded. 

Not surprised its cancelled though.  Although, with how light the crowds are that weekend, it'd be easy to social distance and such.  

I recall getting a ticket and attending this with someone on one of the days in 2008. They even had Flashback: Totally 80s still playing. With some assistance in the before-everyone-had-a-smartphone days, I even managed to organize having someone screenshot the Diamondback construction cam while I was standing in a view of it from the Rivertown midway.

Gee, if only I could remember who that was... ;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, silver2005 said:

I've never been to the P&G version, but GE does (did?) a similar thing on a different weekend, and I went a few times when I worked for GE in the mid-late 00s.  We always went on the Saturday, which I'm sure didn't help, but the park always felt like it was packed.  There were no walk-ons, for sure.  You'd be lucky to get on The Racer or Adventure Express in under an hour.  I specifically remember waiting an hour and a half to ride Face-Off, probably around 2006-2008 timeframe, and thinking I would never go back, although of course we did.  I think GE must have been a bit more liberal about giving out tickets.  It's probably been close to 10 years since I've been to GE Days though.  I'm not even sure if they still do it anymore, and if they do, it may be totally different.

^I've been to both as I had a grandfather who worked on parts to work on machines that built aircraft parts at GE and my dad worked as an accountant at P&G (he was in Boston for the merger with Gillette).  The difference is GE doesn't limit their tickets like P&G does which results in GE Day being more packed than P&G Dividend Day. 

Like, there are times you can walk on to 1-1 on Banshee or DB.  I also notice the employees there on P&G Day top to bottom are more on the up and up compared to the rest of the season since the park is filled with potential season pass buyers with some actual money to throw around. 

Also, the season pass discounts (for new and renewals) on those days are quite nice.  I always renewed my pass that weekend, either in person or having my parents do it for me.  

• Like 2