Does adding a tunnel do anything?

SonofBaconator

Plenty of roller coasters feature tunnels or enclosed sections throughout the duration of the ride: Beast, BLSC, Mystic, Adventure Express, Millennium Force, Kumba, Sheikra, Yukon Striker, Magnum, Leviathan, the list goes on. 

I, however, want to talk about coasters that don't currently feature tunnels. There's certainly too many to count. Would adding one enhance the ride experience or would it come off as a cheap addition? If people indeed like them, then why don't we see them on more coasters? Digging underground might be too costly but even still you could opt for an enclosed part like Millennium Force, Magnum, Mystic, or Leviathan.

Its just something that's curious to me so let me know what you think.

• Like 1

I think tunnels at the top of hills like on Magnum and Voyage to an extent are very effective and gives more of a prolonged head chopper effect and a bit of a claustrophobic feel.  Helix tunnels like on Beast and Legend are also nice.  

I'd love to see enclosed inversions or even a coaster entirely enclosed in a tunnel (not like an indoor coaster, the tunnel being enclosed with the walls and ceiling close to the track). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silver2005 said:

I think tunnels at the top of hills like on Magnum and Voyage to an extent are very effective and gives more of a prolonged head chopper effect and a bit of a claustrophobic feel.  Helix tunnels like on Beast and Legend are also nice.  

I'd love to see enclosed inversions or even a coaster entirely enclosed in a tunnel (not like an indoor coaster, the tunnel being enclosed with the walls and ceiling close to the track). 

You would lose your sense of speed.

3 hours ago, silver2005 said:

Cincinnati's Coney Island had a version of this known as Twister. It opened in 1926 but parts of the ride were already un-enclosed by 1929. It opened the same year as Wildcat but was never as popular and was ultimately scrapped after the 1936 season.

51132344_2135788076503582_6360422304211533824_o.jpg

Regarding the original question, I think tunnels practically make any coaster better. I think underground ones are especially fun (especially that sudden drop in temperature as you dive into one). I wish more coasters were designed and built to incorporate them.

• Like 6

For the ride experience, I love tunnels for the most part.  The exception is Fury 325.  It's way too short, but I understand why they did it from the visual standpoint.

On coasters like The Beast and Blue Streak (CLP), they are great even though they are in different locations.

Millie and Magnum have great coaster ride experience tunnels, but they are ugly IMO.  They look like dissected large intestines.

Finally, tunnels can be overkill like on Voyage and Legend.

• Like 2

Orion is an awesome coaster but I wonder if they ever considered adding a tunnel to enhance the experience. I remember Leviathan's tunnel was a last-minute announcement. Whether they had already planned on adding the tunnel from the beginning and just waited or not is beyond my knowledge. I agree with @TombraiderTy that tunnels ultimately make the experience better, even if the ride is already awesome. I wonder what people would think if Kings Island ever felt like adding a tunnel to Orion down the road. Its not something to read into at all, just an observation.

• Like 1

I generally like tunnels on coasters as I feel that they add a certain character.  The Beast wouldn't be nearly as great of a ride if it didn't have the tunnels.  Another great example is Adventure Express.

Sometimes they are so short, like on Leviathan, that they don't really add much but I would have loved to have seen a tunnel on Orion if it was long enough.

• Like 4

Long tunnels underground or built on low parts add to a ride.   Short tunnels don’t do much.    Tunnels built on high parts don’t do much either. 

The Beast is a great example.    The first tunnel really doesn’t add to the ride other than increasing the drop height.   The long second tunnel is one of the best parts on any roller coaster. The tunnels on the helix definitely add to the ride.

Mystic Timbers tunnel is worthless.   Was it built as some kind of sound barrier?

I don’t think the tunnel on Orion would’ve added much to the ride other than increase drop height  because the train would travel through it so fast. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 9:23 PM, Rivertown Rider said:

Another great example is Adventure Express.

Agreed, imagine the ride without any tunnels what so ever. It would be an entirely different experience. I don't even want to think what AE would be like as a parking lot coaster with no themeing :(

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 2:50 AM, super7 said:

Mystic Timbers tunnel is worthless.

I would disagree. I think it adds to the character of the ride. I honestly couldn't imagine the ride without it.

Also tunnels, whether short or long, really make a difference at night when you're riding in the darkness and all the sudden things get loud. I remember riding Mystic at night and the quick loudness of the tunnel was something I wasn't expecting.

• Like 2