Ferris Wheel

CorkscrewMcPuke

Despite large thrill rides bringing significantly higher numbers of riders in, I believe gentle additions like the antique cars are vital to parks like King's Island as they appeal to both the youngest and oldest audiences. This being said, one of the crowning gems in this category is the Ferris Wheel. King's Island has been without this classic flat ride for 30 years now. I believe the addition of a giant Ferris Wheel would not only beautify the park's skyline, but also return a warm sentiment of yesteryear that's been missing for so long. The real question is which district Cedar Fair would install such a thing.

Thoughts?

Cedar_Point_WindSeeker,_Wicked_Twister,_and_Giant_Wheel_(9547637121).jpg

• Like 4

While Ferris wheels are cool, I don't know if one will necessarily work at our park. It looks great at Cedar Point but that's because you have the lake to view and it goes slow enough to allow people to get a good view.

The only place in the park I think a ferris wheel would work would be if it was flushed up against Coney Mall. It would be nice for the older guests to have something new to enjoy but I just look at it from a capacity standpoint. The Ferris Wheel in Cincinnati worked great because it fits in well with the skyline in the background. I don't know, while they look nice I just don't see us getting one, especially one of CP's size but I'd like to be wrong.

• Like 4

Yes, Ferris Wheels are by the very nature of the design, slow loading, which means lower capacity.  Yes, a Ferris Wheel would look nice in Coney Mall.  But where would be a good place to put it?  There really isn`t much real estate along the length of Coney Mall, other than on the Vortex site.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CoastersRZ said:

Yes, Ferris Wheels are by the very nature of the design, slow loading, which means lower capacity.  Yes, a Ferris Wheel would look nice in Coney Mall.  But where would be a good place to put it?  There really isn`t much real estate along the length of Coney Mall, other than on The Vortex site.

The best place in my opinion would be directly behind the Eiffel Tower on BLSC's plot, though I'm sure there's better spots.

• Like 1

I agree that it would be a good addition. But like @CoastersRZ said, I just don't know where it would go. It would look weird behind the Tower as it would be blocked out. Action Zone doesn't really fit as you have a tower there already as well. Coney is the only place it would provide a good view, but even then I just don't see a good place to put it. I think the park would fit other family flat rides much better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

We do not need a giant wheel. I think a small 30ft Ferris Wheel with a nice LED light package would go nicely in Planet Snoopy.

I mostly agree that we don't need a giant wheel, but putting it in Planet Snoopy?!?!?! Please God no....

I'd say either put one back in Oktoberfest

or

somewhere along the Coney strip

1 hour ago, teenageninja said:

We don't need a lot of things, but I do think a Ferris Wheel would be a nice attraction.

^^^^This

There is that vacant plot of land behind the International Showplace, where the former Salt Water Circus used to sit.  I have always felt that that area (by the seldom open food stand Paradise Island), could use a flat ride or two.  That entire pathway back to the restrooms by the Rivertown Pizza has been devoid of attractions since the Ohio Overland Auto Livery (the south side of the original Antique Cars) closed.  I have always wished that the park would add something along there.  They have during Haunt and Winterfest, but a permanent ride in that area would be nice.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CoastersRZ said:

There is that vacant plot of land behind the International Showplace, where the former Salt Water Circus used to sit.  I have always felt that that area (by the seldom open food stand Paradise Island), could use a flat ride or two.  That entire pathway back to the restrooms by the Rivertown Pizza has been devoid of attractions since the Ohio Overland Auto Livery (the south side of the original Antique Cars) closed.  I have always wished that the park would add something along there.  They have during Haunt and Winterfest, but a permanent ride in that area would be nice.

Part of me feels like they won't touch anything along those paths because they might not always have Backlot Stunt Coaster. Maybe if that ride ever got removed we'd see the paths reworked to better accommodate more flats and a new coaster. That's the only excuse I can come up with since that land you mentioned is perfect for a few flats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoastersRZ said:

Food and beverage building.  If they add bright shiny new rides near Paradise Island, that building will seem rather old and outdated, and it doesn`t currently have any out door seating associated with it.

I think BLSC doomed that future development behind the Eiffel Tower when it was built. It the original antique cars stayed they could've worked around them on the other paths. Now that BLSC uses about 2/3rd of that land, anything added would look out of proportion in my opinion.

49 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I think BLSC doomed that future development behind the Eiffel Tower when it was built. It the original antique cars stayed they could've worked around them on the other paths. Now that BLSC uses about 2/3rd of that land, anything added would look out of proportion in my opinion.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am all for the death of that little thing at this point. Given the throughput and appeal to kids, I doubt that we'll see it go.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am all for the death of that little thing at this point. Given the throughput and appeal to kids, I doubt that we'll see it go.

Is that because of it's footprint or because it isn't very thrilling? I've found its a good fit for where it is given the appeal to families. I personally think its kinda boring but Id hate to see it leave. Surely another family ride goes there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MysticEnthusiast said:

Is that because of it's footprint or because it isn't very thrilling? I've found its a good fit for where it is given the appeal to families. I personally think its kinda boring but Id hate to see it leave. Surely another family ride goes there.

It's not an awful ride, but it is fairly ugly and takes up nice real estate. It's just so milk toast that I feel bad hating on it. It really does just feel like a thing of the Paramount era.

• Like 2

I agree it’s hard to think of a good spot for it but think it could be a good family attraction. With the current skyline and not wanting it to obstruct the Eiffel Tower I’d put it in Planet Snoopy. Ideally I’d remove the stage and petting zoo and do a small expansion there with the Ferris wheel, another family flat and a Gravity Group woodie like Kentucky Flyer or Oscars Wacky Taxi. Then the animal could be moved to a new farm themed area in Rivertown by The Beast and behind the Crypt. Similar theming o what they have on the Frontier Trail at Cedar Point.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2020 at 10:24 PM, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

It's not an awful ride, but it is fairly ugly and takes up nice real estate. It's just so milk toast that I feel bad hating on it. It really does just feel like a thing of the Paramount era.

I mean if what were talking about here is removing a coaster at KI and replacing it with a Ferris Wheel, I'd be 100% against that no matter what coaster at the park it is. What an awful trade.

• Like 3

As a kid I loved the ferris wheel at Coney Island in the 1960 / 1970... Whatever size that was is great!

Do not go silly like Coney Island did in the 90s... As usual with that management it was always just a good try that never was really an exceptional choice.

Either do it right or just go home.

Thanks Cheryl Inlow

• 3 weeks later...

A ferris wheel is a great family ride that everyone can enjoy except those afraid of heights.  KI needs more total family rides.  Right now they only have the antique cars, the helicopters, the cheaply made Boo Blasters, the train and the carrousel.  

However, that large ferris wheel at Cedar Point is  virtually worthless.  It has a HUGE capacity, but normally they only use about 1/4 of the gondolas due to balancing.  No single riders either.   The whole ride is stop/start over and over again.   Other that the view, it's a piece of crap.

King's Island had one of the best ferris wheels of all time, the Zodiac.   1/2 the gondolas loaded at one time while the other half took their loong ride.   It was super efficient, very high capacity and didn't have the balancing issues as the hunk of junk at Cedar Point.   It had great views, and you could see it from I Street as you entered the park.

It's such a shame those 2 and 3 arm ferris wheels like the Zodiac are now extinct. They were amazing and were machines of the future.  It's a shame ferris wheels have reverted back to their old, slow loading, stop and go models.

The area where Saltwater Circus sat would be a great location for something.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...