Lakemont Park - 8/14/2020

Rifleman

My family and I recently visited lakemont park, home of the worlds oldest operating roller coaster, Leap the Dips.

Lakemont is about a 6 hour drive from Cincinnati. We were able to hit lakemont, Knobels, and Kennywood in the same weekend, so if you are looking to mix it up a bit from your regular KI visits, its an easy trip to make.

Lakemont is a free to enter park, with the option to but tickets or wristbands. We went with the Friday night special four wristbands for $55, so it was not an expensive evening.

There are three coasters at this park, although one of them is a kiddie coaster that only allows riders under 12.

The largest coaster is Skyliner. This is a John C Allen coaster (the same man who designed The Racer). It still has buzz bars, and is a lot of fun. If you enjoy the Tornado at strickers grove, picture this as an upscaled version with better airtime.

The main attraction at Lakemont is Leap the Dips, the worlds oldest roller coaster. Despite being 118 years old, this coaster is still fun, and we all rode it several times. As a history nerd, this coasters has been on my bucket list for a long time, and I was happy to get a chance to finally ride it.

After taking several laps on all the coasters, we grabbed a bite to eat. The food at the park was tasty and not to expensive. Definatelly plan on eating here if you visit.

Once we were done eating, we spend some time on the antique cars, train, and go carts. We did not play mini-golf, as it it was  getting late, and we opted for one last round of coaster rides, but the mini golf looked to be very popular.

If you are in the area, or are passing by Altoona on your way to Knobels, definitely check out Lakemont, it was a nice park with a lot of history, and I hope to visit again someday.

I created a full video review of Lakemont for my youtube channel, if anyone is interested in checking the park out :

• Like 1