What Happened to the Polar Coaster?

Remember when this video was released?

This coaster was meant to shatter records records like you wouldn't believe. If its height wasn't enough, it was shown to feature beyond vertical drops and insane inversions.The structure itself was said to feature an observation tower as well.

So what happened? I highly doubt it was because of lack of interest. Whenever I try to google this particular model, it keeps showing projects stalled.

• Like 1

I think it was a matter of funding for the complex as a whole. There had been a few changes to the project over time and a scaled back version of the complex was announced the start of last year. but now the website for it is gone and has been no mention or updates in over a year. So I think funds fell through or couldn't be acquired and the whole thing got scrapped including this coaster. I wouldn't be surprised to see a version of this coaster eventually installed somewhere but I don't see it happening for awhile with the current state of things. People aren't really looking to drop lots of money especially on a prototype concept.

One word, MONEY, someone has to actually pay to build it, and the people behind the project were never able to get enough financing.  The original plan was according to their own numbers was going to cost $500 million, the scaled back plans were still going to be $250 million.  Before anyone argues price tag, those are the official estimates from the developers of the project.  They own the land, got I believe all of the permissions to build the tower, Universal Orlando did try to stop it but it was approved anyways.

But I cannot imagine a bank willing to finance this, and getting private investors have obviously proven difficult.  I cannot imagine it would be possible with the mess going on right now to find anyone willing to invest in a giant tourist project.

Also this coaster is going to have to be expensive to ride, they have to make their money back somehow, and frankly if it’s $25-30 to ride, I will do it once.

• Like 1

Lol.  I remember when this was announced back in 14/15 and a certain bloviating owner of a review site would just hammer anyone that was skeptical of funding this thing.  “It is FUNDED, it is going to happen, FUNDING is not a problem, you don’t know what you are talking about. I know everything about this. You are stupid idiot. It is already FUNDED, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.”  

It was funded until it wasn’t.