Orion V Diamondback

BB1

Diamondback or Orion?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Alright kiddies, onto the main showdown. Orion, what many Kings Island enthusiasts have been wishing for since 2015; Diamondback, the coaster that put Kings Island back on the map for thrills. When we first heard of Orion, I saw everything from excitement, to disappointment as many wanted a Fury 2.0. When we finally rode Orion, I still saw everything from it's the best coaster in the park, to some saying it still missed the bar of what the park needed. Only one coaster can truly be the King of the Island, the true Khan of the coaster line up, is it Diamondback or Orion? What do you guys think? 

(Ps, why can't we have both isn't an option. Both cannot be equally good)

Theming won me over on Orion from the very start.  I’m a huge sci-fi/Star Wars/Mass Effect/Expanse fan, so when that theming was shown off I was instantly sold.  Plus, I’m more into elements than just airtime, so I definitely go for Orion’s wave turn and helix.  I really don’t think one could claim to be the best over the other, though.  They’re both unique and really cater to which kind of ride you’re wanting.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

I mean this in only a nice way: There's something incredibly hilarious to me about knowing how verbose @BB1 has been over the years and then seeing them write, "You do you." It's like watching someone dodge an out-of-control semi on foot, then immediately trip over a Roomba.

Oh, and Orion.

The funny part is that I actually dodged a semi like that two years back in PA. (And that's a story for another day)Also tripping on Roomba's happens more often in my house than you think. 

Also, thanks for the Orion input! The main reason I made this poll was because many of my close KI enthusiast friends have consistently ranked D-back above Orion; of which I wanted to see how the larger KI enthusiast community felt about the subject. Even myself, at 240 credits YTD, I have Diamondback at 9 and Orion at 10 respectively. (For some more context, Fury is my #2, Goliath (sfog) is 7, Mako is 8 rounded off with Diamonback and Orion). I definitely think Orion is a fun ride, don't get me wrong, but I feel like it is a tad bit too short and among other things, that trim takes out some serious airtime. 

All I can say is this- without Diamondback we'd never have Orion.

I'd argue Diamondback is the most appreciated hyper out of the 3 Cedar Fair installed from 2008-2010. I don't know, I just don't see enthusiasts give Intimidator or Behemoth the same amount of love that they give Diamondback- even before Leviathan, Fury 325, and Orion came along.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I will premise this by saying both coasters are really good.  

I will say I like Diamondback a little bit better.  While Orion does really well at having nice big elements and decent speed, I feel Diamondback has a bit more meat to the bones.  The pacing of hill to hill is faster on DB and it has stronger air as well.  It could change with more re-rides of Orion, but for now, I slightly prefer Diamondback.  

• Like 1