2020-2021 Off Season

Klabergian Empire

Thought I would start this thread early lmao.

With Labor Day right around the corner and the seasonal closing of Kings Island coming soon (November 1st this year), what do we all think will happen in the off season in preparation of the parks 49th season?

First off, with regards to the COVID-19 pandemic, I think at this point it's pure speculation. Who knows what impact the virus will have leading up to the 2021 season.

Second, I would assume the park would begin to prepare for the 50th season in 2022. As to what those preparations would be, I would assume more cosmetic work. The Eiffel Tower needs a new coat of paint, as does Diamondback AND Racer (prefer Racer war repainted to its original color scheme), and other things I cant think of right now (lol). 

Third, there is no third....I ran out of things...to think of....oh dear...

But yeah, what do y'all think?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Klabergian Empire said:

While surfing recent Kings Island videos, I saw that maintenance had people over at the water park painting some of the slides. I can imagine if Soak City opens for the 2021 season, it will have a new coat of paint...

KI employees or Baynum? Likely KI employees paint the pools, or they have their pool service do it, but for taller, bigger, more dangerous things Baynum is their go to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

KI employees or Baynum? Likely KI employees paint the pools, or they have their pool service do it, but for taller, bigger, more dangerous things Baynum is their go to.

I think KI employees. They were wearing white painting clothes and I remember awhile back I saw people painting the Rivertown arcade building wearing the exact same clothes these people were.

7 hours ago, bengalsguy23 said:

speaking of paint Intimidator at Carowinds is getting repainted. That was built a year later than Diamondback so you have to think this could be the offseason it gets new paint.

Yes. I think I speak for pretty much all of us when I say Diamondback desperately NEEDS a new coat of paint...  

• Like 6

5 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Do you think the season Fast Lane will return?  

I hope not. Right now it's sold out. I bought my 2020 season Fast Lane August 2019. All 2020 season fast lanes are good for 2021. If they sold out of it and reopen it then it is overselling it. Then Fast Lane lines will all be Steel Vengeance long.

13 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

I hope not. Right now it's sold out. I bought my 2020 season Fast Lane August 2019. All 2020 season fast lanes are good for 2021. If they sold out of it and reopen it then it is overselling it. Then Fast Lane lines will all be Steel Vengeance long.

Yeah, Fast Lane is actually a little congested at the moment, especially at Orion (to the bottom of the stairs when I'm in it). They might open it up more when the rides can have more capacity though.

21 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

The Racer needs a paint job before Diamondback does.  D-back is faded.  The Racer looks terrible, especially with it's shiney new neighbor.

I'm surprised they didn't repaint The Racer this season.  Historically, surrounding rides get some love when a big, new attraction is built.  Racer desperately needs it!

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Maestro said:

I'm surprised they didn't repaint The Racer this season.  Historically, surrounding rides get some love when a big, new attraction is built.  Racer desperately needs it!

That is a good point. But I would suspect that Racer sould get a repaint (hopefully in original scheme) before 2022...

From what I was told, repainting Racer is going to be a very expensive job. In the millions due to removal of lead paint in the under layers. You can only paint over the wood so many times before it starts adding weight. Also the paint they use is a very heavy paint compared to what you would use at home. I would
Love to see the old girl freshened up a bit. Maybe for the 50th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

I definitely think KI will do some cosmetic work for their 50th.  I know this is probably wishing for a lot, but I’d LOVE if they just went all out with the Eiffel Tower!  A fresh coat of paint, some lighting effects, maybe even design a way to make a light show on it.  I’m kind of thinking along the lines of how Disney paints the castles and uses them as part of their nighttime shows.

And maybe new lighting packages on some of the coasters?  After Orion got the royal treatment there, I feel like they could really beef up their nightlife game and incorporate their coasters into the nighttime show, also.

I know they’ll come up with something amazing, though!  It’ll be a year to remember for sure!

• Thanks 1