IAAPA cancels IAE 2020 because of, you guessed it, COVID-19

Letter from Hal McEvoy, IAAPA President 

We recognize this year there are many challenges facing our members from around the world. Together with input from members, exhibitors, the IAAPA Board of Directors and our team, we have decided to cancel IAAPA Expo 2020 due to the ongoing impacts of COVID-19. The continuing barriers to international and domestic travel coupled with the evolving guidance on mass gatherings, and members’ needing to focus on their businesses helped lead to this decision.

Now, more than ever, we know it’s important for you to stay connected with your colleagues and peers. With that in mind, we are currently planning an exciting, new event, IAAPA Expo: Virtual Education Conference, which will take place Nov. 16-18. Registration details and the full program, which will include 25 sessions and two keynote presentations, focused on current industry needs and issues, will be available soon at IAAPA.org.

If you have already registered or planned to be part of IAAPA Expo, thank you for your support. We will be in touch with you in the coming days about your registration refund and virtual options. 

As we look to the future, the IAAPA Team remains optimistic and steadfast in our commitment to serve and support you during these challenging times. Please feel free to contact us at any time if we can assist you in any way.

Way back before the pandemic began, I was told by my boss, that I was going to get to go to IAAPA this year.  With the downturn in work coming in, that was off the table.  Sad that it is canceled, but understandable.  Hopefully business improves and I can attend next year.  I have always wanted to attend this event, especially since my line of work is architecture.  And I have done some entertainment architecture projects at my job.

I don't think it really became clear until about 2 weeks ago.  As someone who had a booth number assigned, Orange County had been pressing IAAPA to continue with the Expo and I think up until the 2nd or 3rd week of August had their canons aimed to have the event.  Then one-by-one, prominent exhibitors began to back out.  ITPS backed out for the first time since it's inception, Intamin, GCI, etc...  Then operators like, Quassy (not a large park, but a regular fixture at IAAPA events) pulled their support.  By the third week of August I think it was crystal clear- I'm sort of surprised they waited until today.

They turned the Asia conference into a "virtual" event.  I logged in and it was.... an OK lemons into lemonade effort.  At the moment, though, it doesn't appear that the November marketplace event will even be a virtual event.  

11 hours ago, Outdoor Man said:

I don't think it really became clear until about 2 weeks ago.  As someone who had a booth number assigned, Orange County had been pressing IAAPA to continue with the Expo and I think up until the 2nd or 3rd week of August had their canons aimed to have the event.  Then one-by-one, prominent exhibitors began to back out.  ITPS backed out for the first time since it's inception, Intamin, GCI, etc...  Then operators like, Quassy (not a large park, but a regular fixture at IAAPA events) pulled their support.  By the third week of August I think it was crystal clear- I'm sort of surprised they waited until today.

They turned the Asia conference into a "virtual" event.  I logged in and it was.... an OK lemons into lemonade effort.  At the moment, though, it doesn't appear that the November marketplace event will even be a virtual event.  

Honestly I think attendance would have been so bad that a booth would have been such a waste of money...