ReimaginIng Winterfest (realistic ideas)

brenthodge

I was cleaning through some files on the computer today and found my "If I could plan Winterfest 2020" notes. Since we know WF aint happening this year, I figured this was the best year to do it "my way" I tried to really be smart with all of the existing assets and just move things around a bit to make clearer stories and use the things they have in stronger ways. Its a lot of detail - spoke forgive me if its too long, but since we only get to dream this year - thought I share mine! Love to know people's thoughts

WINTERFEST ASSET REALLOCATION

ENTRY - No major changes

INTERNATIONAL STREET - No major changes -

ARCTIC WAY (Walkway to Action Zone in front of theatre)

CHARACTERS - Snowflake Fairy, Ice Queen and Prince

All of the snowfall lights/ blue lights from the walkway between Rivertown and Coney move here. Blue/ white uplighting, Lots of character interaction

Menorah and Dreidel stained glass decor

Main theatre show becomes “White Christmas Dreams” a show with live orchestra, vocalists and dancers that tells the story of a family that experiences the magic of Christmas one winter’s eve.

Arctic Way ties International Street into IceZone

ICE ZONE - No major changes (Action Zone)

CHARACTER - Jack Frost

Ice Zone gets silver trusses with uplighting - maybe lots of LED snowflakes - modern and bright - all the spiral trees form Coney move here

Music/Light show from Child Care house moves to this area in blues and whites

AREA - ENCHANTED ELF VILLAGE (Octoberfest lake)

CHARACTERS All elves

Brass band becomes Elf Brass band

Tinkers remains in Festhaus

All elf set pieces move to the areas around the lake with better lighting to really enhance

FLORAL CLOCK - acts as major entrance feature for new Candy Cane Lane/Drum Line area

Gets great lighting package.

AREA - DRUM LINE

CHARACTERS Nutcracker Suite

Move trumpeters to the walkway leading to drummers with the MERRY CHRISTMAS sign and large gifts, toys etc

Four Drummer Drumming moves to stage on Skyline seating pavilion

Add uplighting to trees and possible 2-3 footers for lighting rigs to better light the soldier statues

Area brightly lit

AREA - CANDY CANE LANE

CHARACTERS Candy Cane, Candy Dandy, Cotton Candy Fairy

Moves to the path to River Town past floral clock

Add large LED tree in red/white with light show  on the old base where tree was WF’17

Add paved paths in this area (in the grass) to tree and to paved area for candy castle - these could be seating areas and landscaping during normal season and paths through cemetery for Haunt

Footings from Winterfest Way WF’17 hold candy cane scaffolding with red/white overhead string lights

Line main path and new paths with candy cane markers

Kona Ice drink place becomes hot chocolate/candy “gingerbread House” food location

TUNNEL OF LIGHTS - From WF19 where path straightens out leads into…

AREA - HOMESPUN HOLIDAYS (Rivertown)

Move all of the crafter booths to this area to play up the “homespun” theme.

Improve look of crafter barns to make look like different style buildings in Rivertown

Use The Beast plaza for more crafter shops

More rustic decor

Remainder of Rivertown as previous years

AREA - Coca-Cola POLAR BEAR WAY (Path along former Vortex site)

Red and white string lights overhead

Coca-Cola billboards line the path (like a road to Tinsel Town)

Plaza at Backlot becomes the Polar Bear Dance Party

Basketball 3 point game gets Coca-Cola Holiday enhancement

Transition area in to Tinsel Town brighter and bolder

AREA - TINSEL TOWN (End of Coney Mall)

No major changes - move giant silver trees to center of the round courtyard at the entrance between Coney Mall

AREA - CONEY CARNIVAL CHRISTMAS (Coney Mall)

No major changes - add overhead color change LED lights from HAUNT

Make even gaudier, bolder, brighter - move the giant light sculptures from the path to River Town here

More Silver Tinsel - almost an extension of Tinsel Town

AREA - CHARLIE BROWN’S CHRISTMASTOWN (Planet Snoopy)

Move the live performance aspect out of the petting zoo - Keep “Sounds of the Nativity” with lighting and music, but maybe Peanuts Narration and sings form the Christmas special instead.

“What the Dickens” moves out to new area (keeps the indoor area for inclement weather)

International Showplace adds better roof - possible temporary back and sides and heaters “Charlie Browns Christmas Spectacular” moves here with minor modifications. The two side stages of this performance space already work for this show. This brings all of the Peanuts entertainment to one area to create stronger destination

AREA - DICKENS SQUARE (where 4 drummer drumming was)

CHARACTERS Scrooge, Marley, Ghosts

Makes sense tying into International Street

Use Scrooge’s house set from 05 WF as background for “What The Dickens” -  Can move to Peanuts Showcase during inclement weather

Use some graveyard items to make Scrooges cemetary

Add some “Old England” set pieces

Bring this “Christmas Carol” theme to Boo Blasters

AREA - OH HOLY NIGHT (Tower Gardens)

Live performers from “Sounds of Nativity” move here - create stage area where Ginger Bread castle went when this was Candy Cane Lane

Use existing footers to add light trusses to provide projected “light through stained glass windows”

All stained glass nativity pieces move here - maybe not all on one big area, but in smaller clusters that are dim, but light up brighter when songs related to those characters are sung (shepherds, angels, wisemen etc)

Twinkling lights in the trees for “stars” - Large star above (Star in the East)

Benches provide seating for contemplation

• Like 3

Wow, you put much thought into that.  I'd like to know what you would do if you were given the following options:  Action Theater shell, Kill Mart Shell, Crypt Shell and a temporary shell (think Carnivale Style tent with heaters and a floor and airlock entryway) in Action Zone---or the shell of the Blackout building.  What would you do with these spaces desgined to be climate controlled?  Time and budget are not an option, nor is COVID 19.

5 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

I want all coasters running during Winterfest in below freezing weather and light snow. My ideal hours would be from Dusk to Dawn. Also a marathon on Invertigo where you do not get off the ride the entire day nor does it stop and we raise money for Toys for Tots.

While I don’t think dusk to dawn is realistic, I do think Saturday and Sunday hours could be extended to open at 12 or 2pm. The holiday trim was designed with a lot of detail that would hold up without the lights being seen. Even if shows didn’t start till 5, I think they would cover the additional expense with increased guest spending. 

10 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

I want all coasters running during Winterfest in below freezing weather and light snow. My ideal hours would be from Dusk to Dawn. Also a marathon on Invertigo where you do not get off the ride the entire day nor does it stop and we raise money for Toys for Tots.

Most of the coasters can not run in below freezing weather unless in a building. 

20 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

I know that but I guess you either you can not spot a joke when you see one or understand that the topic was "Dream".

Well, the individual who started the thread was more along the lines of "If I could plan Winterfest...", so I think people here were keeping this to what could actually happen. 

But sure hijack away...:rolleyes:

46 minutes ago, Maddog said:

Well, the individual who started the thread was more along the lines of "If I could plan Winterfest...", so I think people here were keeping this to what could actually happen. 

But sure hijack away...:rolleyes:

Right. MY Winterfest dream based on realistic things that “could” actually happen because it was mostly rearranging existing assets. Maybe the thread should be renamed?! 

1 hour ago, SnakePlissken said:

I know that but I guess you either you can not spot a joke when you see one or understand that the topic was "Dream".

I should have titled the thread differently. Yes, dreams, but more along the line of realistic ideas that the ark could and would actually implement based on budget, resources and time. Dream away, but it would be neat to see what other realistic plans others could add to mine. 

2 hours ago, brenthodge said:

I should have titled the thread differently. Yes, dreams, but more along the line of realistic ideas that the ark could and would actually implement based on budget, resources and time. Dream away, but it would be neat to see what other realistic plans others could add to mine. 

You can edit your first post and you should be able to rename it. If not, I can do that for you as well. Just shoot me a PM.

On 9/8/2020 at 11:23 PM, brenthodge said:

AREA - CHARLIE BROWN’S CHRISTMASTOWN (Planet Snoopy)

International Showplace adds better roof - possible temporary back and sides and heaters “Charlie Browns Christmas Spectacular” moves here with minor modifications. The two side stages of this performance space already work for this show. This brings all of the Peanuts entertainment to one area to create stronger destination

I really like that idea (in bold),

I really liked WF in it's 2018/19 incarnation, but if I had to change things up, I would add another coaster*, bring back The Plight before Christmas (or at least a similar type of show) and have more unique experiences like that walkthrough inside Coney Confections.

As for changes the park has made re: Winterfest, I thought it was a great idea two years ago when The Mistletones were moved to a separate stage as they almost seemed to "compete" with Jingle Jazz (as both were similar acts sharing the same stage). And I think moving "What the Dickens" indoors was a good idea as well as it's a great usage of that building. Also, I'm glad Winterfest Way got toned down as the first year's decorations were overkill (but maybe that was the point...). Also, NYE was amazing; don't change a thing (except maybe put some BTS in the mix (though I did hear "Boy with Luv" in one of the Planet Snoopy buildings last year)- I would love to hear Mic Drop and I almost guarantee we'll hear "Dynamite" at NYE 2021 considering how popular the song is now)!!!

*Though I would love to ride Adventure Express or The Bat in November or December, WF to me really isn't about the rides. The rides are great to have, but I think it's more about the lights, characters and atmosphere. That being said, it would be great if Woodstock Express was open as I thought it was unusual that it wasn't open during Winterfest.

17 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

I'd love to see the Miami River Brewhouse serve either fresh-cut french fries or a side salad with their menu choices. Not hating tater tots, but... 

2 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

I really like that idea (in bold),

I really liked WF in it's 2018/19 incarnation, but if I had to change things up, I would add another coaster*, bring back The Plight before Christmas (or at least a similar type of show) and have more unique experiences like that walkthrough inside Coney Confections.

As for changes the park has made re: Winterfest, I thought it was a great idea two years ago when The Mistletones were moved to a separate stage as they almost seemed to "compete" with Jingle Jazz (as both were similar acts sharing the same stage). And I think moving "What the Dickens" indoors was a good idea as well as it's a great usage of that building. Also, I'm glad Winterfest Way got toned down as the first year's decorations were overkill (but maybe that was the point...). Also, NYE was amazing; don't change a thing (except maybe put some BTS in the mix (though I did hear "Boy with Luv" in one of the Planet Snoopy buildings last year)- I would love to hear Mic Drop and I almost guarantee we'll hear "Dynamite" at NYE 2021 considering how popular the song is now)!!!

*Though I would love to ride Adventure Express or The Bat in November or December, WF to me really isn't about the rides. The rides are great to have, but I think it's more about the lights, characters and atmosphere. That being said, it would be great if Woodstock Express was open as I thought it was unusual that it wasn't open during Winterfest.

I’d definitely bring back “plight”  or something similar to somewhere in Rivertown. Maybe even move Santa to a different location and use that space as a small indoor theatre for the show. Santa could move over to Kill Mart shell and do a 1950s department store Santa land to tie into Tinsel Town. The horse cartridge loading area could move back further to WindSeeker area. I also like the idea of a small “blue grass Christmas” act in the Gazebo. In Rivertown or put them on the porch and have Jingle Jazz at the train station. 

• Like 1