Forum Software Update

Our wonderful @malemupdated the forum software last night. One of the key features of the update was an update to the design of the forum. Key elements they worked on for this uopdate was the following:

• A brighter UI with more saturation & contrast and simpler overall color scheme
  • Improved typography
  • Better, more consistent, spacing around and between elements, especially on mobile
  • Better logical grouping of sections of each page
  • Reducing underutilized links/buttons on the page and finding alternative ways of making them available
  • Improving how post states are displayed
  • Modernizing and enhancing the underlying code that powers the default theme

We hope you enjoy the new updates!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On Chrome Win 10 the avatar on the top ribbon is squished together, and on regular posts the avatar circle is hyper imposed over the rank/role. (Over a few points right and down) Also, you can't see the post reply number on the right hand side with the posts.

10 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

I appreciate the time and effort that went into this. However, clicking the topics on the right-hand sidebar no longer brings you to the newest/first unread post. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Can you add a screenshot of what you are talking about? I have found no one seems to browse the forums the same.

Also, what theme are you using?

Not a glitch or anything in that vein but I must say that I dislike browsing the threads when it shows the pages available to choose from. IE, pages one through four and then the last page. For me, it makes browsing the different threads more difficult and overall more clunky. I am using the default theme.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stitch said:

Not a glitch or anything in that vein but I must say that I dislike browsing the threads when it shows the pages available to choose from. IE, pages one through four and then the last page. For me, it makes browsing the different threads more difficult and overall more clunky. I am using the default theme.

Can you add a screenshot? I am not sure I am following totally what you are saying. 

1 hour ago, Stitch said:

Certainly, if you look at the topics that have multiple pages to them, I think that the way it stretches the forum to accommodate for the page numbers is generally clunky. Nothing about it is defective or misused, just unpleasant to browse around.

Untitled.jpg

Thanks, we do want that fixed. We are still working on the bright theme.  The dark theme we updated fixed this issue.

35 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Since the update, every time someone posts in a thread I have commented in, I get a notification.  Before, I would only get notified if someone quoted me.  Is there a way to change notification notifications? ;)

In just one thread or all threads?

• Like 1

The font for polls  is hard to read now. It appears to be a light gray and blends in with The Beast photo being used. There is so many issues on mobile too like when I press the tab for notifications, I have an x covering up my options. I usually say if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Editing to say switching to dark mode fixed all my issues. I didn't even know there was a dark mode or themes until yesterday. It was hard to find.

On 9/27/2020 at 10:28 PM, silver2005 said:

I'm a bit annoyed that notifications for both being quoted and getting stuff liked are put together.  I like the former but not the later. 

Also moving the edit post button is a bit annoying.  I've been almost accidentally quoting my posts instead of editing them. 

You're not the only one; It took me a sec to find the Edit button as well (I was so used to having at the bottom). In fact, the first time I tried to edit a post since switching to the new format, I thought the feature had been removed (as I couldn't find it right away)!

• 2 weeks later...

After reviewing our themes post forum upgrade, we have purchased a new theme to get the dark/bright working properly.  The bright/dark themes are the same now, and you can click the lightbulb or the moon  at the top of the page to swap between them. 

Bright.jpg

Dark.jpg

The toggle button at the top of the page next to the search button is how you will select your background and other customizations

Togle.jpg

Along with this upgrade of the forum and theme, KIC now has an even cleaner look and feel. We hope you enjoy these new updates. Let us know if you see any issues that we need to address in this thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1