2021 Plans

KIBeast

Due to this year's pandemic, I am wondering if CF plans on adding much in the way of rides throughout the chain? Many of these parks did not get to really cash in on their recent investments that would have helped their attendance. 

This also begs the question about 2021 in general with the SF chain or even independent parks. I see someone posted a cool video of a coaster being added to Silverwood, which is what caused me to think about this subject. 

Side note: I did end up taking a trip to KI, reluctantly. It was as miserable experience as could be expected under the current conditions. This was in no way their fault. However, Orion lived up to its billing. I like it as well as Millennium Force, possibly better. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KIBeast said:

Due to this year's pandemic, I am wondering if CF plans on adding much in the way of rides throughout the chain? Many of these parks did not get to really cash in on their recent investments that would have helped their attendance. 

This also begs the question about 2021 in general with the SF chain or even independent parks. I see someone posted a cool video of a coaster being added to Silverwood, which is what caused me to think about this subject. 

Side note: I did end up taking a trip to KI, reluctantly. It was as miserable experience as could be expected under the current conditions. This was in no way their fault. However, Orion lived up to its billing. I like it as well as Millennium Force, possibly better. 

I don't think we'll be seeing much in terms of attractions in the chain next year due to Covid and with several parks staying shut the entire season. I believe the 2021 season in some ways will be basically a due over for what this season was supposed to be. I believe 2022 will be when we'll start seeing the investments pick up. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I don't think we'll be seeing much in terms of attractions in the chain next year due to Covid and with several parks staying shut the entire season. I believe the 2021 season in some ways will be basically a due over for what this season was supposed to be. I believe 2022 will be when we'll start seeing the investments pick up. 

Agreed. We would also probably have some idea what was coming in 2021 by now if we were getting something, right?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ldhudsonjr said:

Agreed. We would also probably have some idea what was coming in 2021 by now if we were getting something, right?

Yeah, CF usually announces stuff in August when season passes for next season go on sale. However, we could get something like a restauarant or something very small that it could get announced during the off season. 

• Like 2

During their last quarterly conference call, CF said that they would announce their capital plans for 21 later in the year.

It still would not surprise me to see some family flats come to KI.  If you look at the success of the return of the Antiques and the Eagles it makes sense to think about adding more flats especially since family flats like the Keggers could run during Winterfest.

• Like 4

This leaves some interesting questions regarding Cedar Fair:

1. Would the chain indeed add new attractions to each of their parks every season or would they go back to mainly investing in their larger parks?
  2. Would they turn to cloned rides to lower spending or would they continue to pursue the practice of quality over quantity?
  3. Would they ever consider selling any of their smaller parks or closing them?

Also some questions regarding the competing chains:

1. Would Six Flags or Sea World Entertainment consider selling some parks?
  2. Could we see Six Flags or Sea World Entertainment try to merge chains with each other or other chains?
  3. Which of these chains will be in the worst shape when this pandemic is over?
  • Like 2

I really feel for KI. I betcha they would have seen 4 million plus guests this year because of Orion. Hopefully, next year they can bring in the guests that should have came in 2020.

10 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Would they turn to cloned rides to lower spending or would they continue to pursue the practice of quality over quantity?

I wouldn't mind if Cedar Fair strikes a deal with RMC or Intamin to get some clones across a few of their parks. Something on a larger scale for big parks, and something like Railblazer for MA and VF.

10 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Which of these chains will be in the worst shape when this pandemic is over?

Six Flags probably. 

• Like 2

I doubt that Cedar Fair invests much capital into hard rides for 2021.  After all, most of their parks that were able to open, did so with an abbreviated season.  

I believe that Cedar Fair is trying to add something new to each of their parks every year, but that may not necessarily be a ride every year.  Restaurant/food stand, special event, etc. also count to that. They have said they hope to space out the major capital projects like coasters at their parks.  

I would not look for Cedar Fair to sell any parks.  They had toyed that idea at one point many years ago with California`s Great America.  But they recently purchased the land for that park from the city of Santa Clara.

I think that Sea World is in the worst spot out of the chains.  They have had a revolving door in the CEO position, which stems, from what I have heard, a board member that likes to micro manage.

I would not look for Cedar Fair to install any new Intamin rides any time soon.  They have had plenty of issues with the last several Intamin rides they have added.  In fact, Shoot the Rapids at Cedar Point had a very brief stay at Cedar Point before it was scrapped.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

I doubt that Cedar Fair invests much capital into hard rides for 2021.  After all, most of their parks that were able to open, did so with an abbreviated season.  

I believe that Cedar Fair is trying to add something new to each of their parks every year, but that may not necessarily be a ride every year.  Restaurant/food stand, special event, etc. also count to that. They have said they hope to space out the major capital projects like coasters at their parks.  

I would not look for Cedar Fair to sell any parks.  They had toyed that idea at one point many years ago with California`s Great America.  But they recently purchased the land for that park from the city of Santa Clara.

I think that Sea World is in the worst spot out of the chains.  They have had a revolving door in the CEO position, which stems, from what I have heard, a board member that likes to micro manage.

I would not look for Cedar Fair to install any new Intamin rides any time soon.  They have had plenty of issues with the last several Intamin rides they have added.  In fact, Shoot the Rapids at Cedar Point had a very brief stay at Cedar Point before it was scrapped.

CF reached out the niners when they were building Levis, thinking the land would be needed for parking.  Given the number of public transit options to get to the stadium, though, it was determined the land wasn't needed.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

During their last quarterly conference call, CF said that they would announce their capital plans for 21 later in the year.

It still would not surprise me to see some family flats come to KI.  If you look at the success of the return of the Antiques and the Eagles it makes sense to think about adding more flats especially since family flats like the Keggers could run during Winterfest.

IF Kings Island does make a 2021 announcement, I see it coming in either late September or October right before the end of the season. I think this makes the most sense because by announcing something this late they will be able to get as much out of their 2020 season as possible before looking ahead to next season. As for what a new addition could be, I agree that it may be something like the return of the Der Spinning Keggers. Remember for the Kings Mills Antique Autos, they sent out invitations for an announcement only the day before it was scheduled to be held, and they didn’t actually start construction until late in the season.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Since there hasn't been an annoucment yet I would really doubt I we will see any thing new.  A couple of new small kids flat rides and maybe adding some shade in the area.

I think of these could fit the area well.

https://www.zamperla.com/products/happy-swing/

Lol you can find those at traveling fairs sometimes. I think something like that would go in Planet Snoopy. 

• Like 1