Reservations back at Cedar Point

I assume they have a certain number that is their allowed capacity right now, and that they haven't needed to use reservations recently because they haven't been close to that number. But maybe with some pretty busy weekends at Cedar Point recently, they are getting close to their allowed capacity and they don't want to have to turn people away at the gate. I could be wrong, but that was my thinking when I saw that.

I was there this past Sat and it was packed like sardines. Even Corkscrew had a 90 minute wait. Weather was 60 and sunny too. People lined up for access passes a whole hour before the time to give them out and those lines got insane. I got in line for Millennium Force with my Fast Lane at about 6:55PM. The entire queue was filled up and the 7pm line wasn't even allowed in the queue yet. They had formed a line on the midway . I noticed the same kinda thing for Top Thrill Dragster. At one point 4 rides in a row that I had got in line for broke down and then 5 out of 6. Maverick, Magnum, Top Thrill, Millennium, then Maverick again. I'm thankful for my Fast Lane because I did get 12 rides with it and 5 on Steel Vengeance. Which that ride seemed to be running good all day. Without my Fast Lane it would have been a bad day at the park and a waste of time and money. At one point during all the rides breaking down around 2pm I was feeling that way anyways.

I expect the park to be busier in Oct without reservations like it normally would be and the park knows this. So they added reservations back.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, purdude86 said:

Yea I think it's more a matter that Fall is usually quite busy at the parks, and with CP being busy as of late it just makes sense to go back to this. Wouldn't be surprised if more parks do.

Fall is busy at the parks with haunt events. The kids events bring some crowds but they pale in comparison. I think CP’s mixture of fall crowds, new Gold Pass, reduced capacity, and social distancing led to this decision. I don’t think it’ll be happening at KI.

On our 3 mid week visits during the final 2 weeks of daily ops in early August, CP was nearly "full" for what it could handle given the current operations. We observed 60 minute waits on the app for Corkscrew and Blue Streak all 3 days, and I personally waited in a 45 minute line for Rougarou and Magnum, 90 minutes for Valravn. The parking lot on those days I would characterize as slightly over half full. I can't imagine how it must have been this past Saturday, i saw one pic of the lot nearly full down the center. With how they have to operate, I'm suprised it took this long to turn the reservation system on again. Since its apparently not needed for this coming weekend, i bet Saturday the 26th is packed. Weather looks good, too. 

Given what happened last October (see https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2019/10/cedar-points-new-gold-pass-good-weather-combine-for-crowded-halloweekends.html for a refresher), I'm not at all surprised by this decision. Granted, that was during normal times and part of that was likely due to Haunt, but even so, better safe than sorry. Hopefully this works out well for them.

I'd just like to point out something I've discovered today. If you want to get the most amount of night rides possible, go on Nov 1st. Daylight savings is on Nov 1st which means it's going to get darker an hour earlier on that one day. Sunset at 5:24pm with twilight ending 5:53pm. That gives almost 2 whole hours of night rides! or 2.5 if you use sunset.

• Like 2