KI History Video 1972/73

KIBeast

Last night, my uncle sent me a video from what we think might be the opening year of Kings Island. Unfortunately, there isn't any sound. It's still a cool video in my book. My uncle was the one that took this video. He said the last time he moved, he lost a bunch of his old home movies, but found this one. He had it digitized so that he didn't lose the one remaining that he has. Hope everyone enjoys. I know I did, as it was a look back into my first time attending Kings Island. 

• Like 5

Thank you for sharing! That's some fantastic footage of Enchanted Voyage, Cuddle Up, the Sky Ride, and more... especially Enchanted Voyage. Footage from that ride is usually really dark, but it's pretty bright and clear here. I also don't think I've ever seen video specifically of Kings Island's Rotor, so that's cool.

Big thanks to your uncle too - I'm sure bringing a big, bulky video camera to an amusement park was a hassle, but I'm always grateful for those who did and have shared their footage decades later.

For what it's worth, most of the video appears to be opening year (1972), but there's some 1973 mixed in with it. Specifically the first few minutes where you can see International Restaurant in the background, and also around the 9:00 mark when there's footage of Flying Dutchman. Both attractions opened the park's second year.

• Like 2

Thanks @TombraiderTy! I think you are correct in that. As I watched this again, it is much easier to see on this forum than on my phone. I started noticing that it seems that some of the video may have been mashed together of another year.

At the 10:03 mark, the lady sitting down with a baby on her lap is my mother and I. To her left is my uncle, so I am not sure who was videoing at the time. To the right of him is my late grandmother. At the 23:20 mark, the video on the carousel is my brother. On another note, I wish his other film was not lost. I specifically remember my uncle filming his ride on The Racer. 

• Like 1

• IndyGuy4KI changed the title to KI History Video 1972/73
1 hour ago, KIBeast said:

Thanks @TombraiderTy! I think you are correct in that. As I watched this again, it is much easier to see on this forum than on my phone. I started noticing that it seems that some of the video may have been mashed together of another year.

At the 10:03 mark, the lady sitting down with a baby on her lap is my mother and I. To her left is my uncle, so I am not sure who was videoing at the time. To the right of him is my late grandmother. At the 23:20 mark, the video on the carousel is my brother. On another note, I wish his other film was not lost. I specifically remember my uncle filming his ride on The Racer. 

Give me some time and I can get this cleaned up for you. 

• Like 1

@KIBeastThank you (and your Uncle) SO much for sharing this. :) There is just so much to digest I really don’t know where to begin...it is all so amazing to see. 
I will mention an odder thing in your video that thrilled the collector in me...a common item on eBay is an old brown glass mug that has a wooden handle...it was fun seeing them on the shelf back then. Thanks again!

1973151E-84FC-4017-AA48-5E2DC5E6290D.jpeg

7819E33F-4088-4018-A080-CBD1675235A2.jpeg

• Like 2

This is incredible!  Thank you for sharing.  The park was so beautiful back then...and with the recent improvements, it is again!  It's very nice to see the beloved pedestals and know they have been put to good use in Area 72.  This video helps me to see KI as I did as a kid.  It looks so big.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LAGuy75 said:

This is awesome! I especially enjoyed the POV of Scooby Doo with the two maintenance folks out on the layout on either side of a fully moving train. 

I mentioned that fact to my mother. I was totally shocked to see 2 maintenance people on either side of a moving train myself. Then again, in those days, you could take an 8mm camera on coasters. 

12 minutes ago, standbyme said:

@KIBeastThank you (and your Uncle) SO much for sharing this. :) There is just so much to digest I really don’t know where to begin...it is all so amazing to see. 
I will mention an odder thing in your video that thrilled the collector in me...a common item on eBay is an old brown glass mug that has a wooden handle...it was fun seeing them on the shelf back then. Thanks again!

1973151E-84FC-4017-AA48-5E2DC5E6290D.jpeg

7819E33F-4088-4018-A080-CBD1675235A2.jpeg

You are most welcome. I noticed some neat looking items too. One that caught my eye appears to be a light up picture that looks like a firework.