Banshee trouble?

Shawn Meyer

4 minutes ago, Maddog said:

From what the park has already said this doesn't seem too serious, especially if they hope it to be running so soon!

I think we've gone off the rails (pun intended), discussing the possibility of a whole track piece getting fabricated to replace some unidentified defect--given the aforementioned timeline estimation of operation.

Also, this comment:

Seems to conflict with this comment (from the same person):

So were there wires laying around or not?  Perhaps there was a wire pull which needed quickly re-done?  

The wires underneath were external wires only. They had nothing to do with the ride. The area in question is the bottom of the first drop, where there are ladders and boards strewn about.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, cfred said:

May I suggest you reread Indyguy4ki's  post again...I think you are still missing the point!

That will not help him either. We have been over this general concept so much that its not even worth being brought up. Nothing ever changes in regards to that philosophy for him. Its a shame.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

B&M has maintenance guidelines, they detail how often to inspect the track and what to do if something is found.  Often the first step is to contact B&M.
Having said that I have read several B&M service bulletins.  The typical response to a crack is to grind it out, weld a replacement piece of steel, NDT to verify the repair, and repaint.  The only times I remember seeing to replace the item is for parts on the trains if the material is too thin.
Replacing a piece of track is not typically done, even for a crack.
Just to add we have no idea what is going on, and we have gotten pretty far off into wild speculation.
Excuse my ignorance, but what does NDT stand for?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

The wires underneath were external wires only. They had nothing to do with the ride. The area in question is the bottom of the first drop, where there are ladders and boards strewn about.

So you're saying the wires that you saw could not have been a wire pulled back out of conduit to be replaced (maybe to a sensor) because it developed a short? 

To me, a faulty sensor due to shorted out wiring seems way more plausible than a track issue. I could be wrong,  you could be right, or we could both be wrong. 

Respectively, being open to more ideas and different possibilities adds to the discussion and makes it more fun. 

19 minutes ago, tuxedoman52 said:

Excuse my ignorance, but what does NDT stand for?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Nondestructive Testing (see Wikipedia)

Essentially, it's referring to a method or series of methods of testing the structural integrity of a material without doing any damage to it.  Examples include using an x-ray scanner to look below the surface of a piece of steel track to look for things like tiny cracks invisible to the human eye, that when stressed, can cause the whole piece to fail.  The repeated stress of a roller coaster train riding down the track can cause even the smallest defect to grow, ultimately leading to catastrophic failure.

5 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

So you're saying the wires that you saw could not have been a wire pulled back out of conduit to be replaced (maybe to a sensor) because it developed a short? 

To me, a faulty sensor due to shorted out wiring seems way more plausible than a track issue. I could be wrong,  you could be right, or we could both be wrong. 

Respectively, being open to more ideas and different possibilities adds to the discussion and makes it more fun. 

The one thing that makes me question a sensor or simple wiring issue like that is I would expect KI's maintenance department to have been able to resolve that last weekend.  That said, I'm no expert here, so anything's possible.  It's also way more likely than fabricating a replacement piece of track and installing it within a week. :) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

The cables were likely used to power a scissor lift under the first drop.

• Haha 1

This was all super interesting to read!  I so wish we could get inside info on what they were working on.  I just find it fascinating and would love to know exactly how B&M does maintenance on their coasters!

Hopefully Banshee is back up and running soon!

• Like 2

Here's a picture from the Cedar Point webcam from a few years ago.  This was taken during the season in July, late at night. 

I've heard in the past that Cedar Point/Fair have been way ahead of the curve in terms of the testing @jsus describes.  While we can't know for sure what they were doing, it goes to show that the maintenance department is very much on top of testing and monitoring track issues.

raptor_maintenance_2.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jsus said:

Nondestructive Testing (see Wikipedia)

Essentially, it's referring to a method or series of methods of testing the structural integrity of a material without doing any damage to it.  Examples include using an x-ray scanner to look below the surface of a piece of steel track to look for things like tiny cracks invisible to the human eye, that when stressed, can cause the whole piece to fail.  The repeated stress of a roller coaster train riding down the track can cause even the smallest defect to grow, ultimately leading to catastrophic failure.

The one thing that makes me question a sensor or simple wiring issue like that is I would expect KI's maintenance department to have been able to resolve that last weekend.  That said, I'm no expert here, so anything's possible.  It's also way more likely than fabricating a replacement piece of track and installing it within a week. :) 

I never said they were fabricating a piece of track and installing it in a week.

12 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I could be wrong,  you could be right, or we could both be wrong. 

Reminds me of the good old days when I worked in a record store...customers would come in and sing (and usually butcher the lyrics to) a song that they were looking to buy...I’m guessing you’re looking for Billy Joel’s “You May Be Right”! :P

• Haha 6

14 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

On that same track of concept, Banshee is, besides Orion IIRC, the most technologically advanced coaster in the park. It's practically a computer that just so happens to be a coaster at some points. With the amount of sensors it has, I wouldn't be surprised if one went out and it just needs that kind of work done instead of track work. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BB1 said:

On that same track of concept, Banshee is, besides Orion IIRC, the most technologically advanced coaster in the park. It's practically a computer that just so happens to be a coaster at some points. With the amount of sensors it has, I wouldn't be surprised if one went out and it just needs that kind of work done instead of track work. 

True, however, the area where we saw the work being done has no sensors (the sensors for the section between lift top and brake entrance are on the top of the lift, not the bottom of the drop).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

I never said they were fabricating a piece of track and installing it in a week.

That was the implication, since I'm only aware of the ride being down last weekend, not the weekend prior.  Again, @IndyGuy4KI reports the park hopes to have the ride operational this weekend (tomorrow).  You seem to think it's a possibility that they're replacing a piece of track, and for the ride to reopen in that one-week timeframe, how else do you expect that to work logistically?  They just had an extra piece of track fabricated for funsies?

Like the claims that INTAMIN had already redesigned and fabricated the s-curve that replaced the heartline roll on Maverick...  but waited until they knew they needed it to go to the expense of air freighting it to the US instead of shipping it with all the other pieces?

14 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

The cables were likely used to power a scissor lift under the first drop.

Are you sure they would be using electric scissor lifts outside that require being plugged in, vs. a gas or diesel model?

On 10/9/2020 at 10:44 AM, jsus said:

That was the implication, since I'm only aware of the ride being down last weekend, not the weekend prior.  Again, @IndyGuy4KI reports the park hopes to have the ride operational this weekend (tomorrow).  You seem to think it's a possibility that they're replacing a piece of track, and for the ride to reopen in that one-week timeframe, how else do you expect that to work logistically?  They just had an extra piece of track fabricated for funsies?

Like the claims that INTAMIN had already redesigned and fabricated the s-curve that replaced the heartline roll on Maverick...  but waited until they knew they needed it to go to the expense of air freighting it to the US instead of shipping it with all the other pieces?

Are you sure they would be using electric scissor lifts outside that require being plugged in, vs. a gas or diesel model?

They are occasionally plugged in.

Furthermore, I’m never said they would replace a piece in a week. You’re misquoting me which is rude.