Hello new here

grsupercity

Hello I am a Steven and I am a coaster Junkie. I have been to 25 plus parks and Kings Island has always been my white whale. I am finally going in a few weeks and I am excited. For some reason this park is the one that gets dropped from larger trips. But hopefully this year that curse is over. I bought a flash pass so I should be able to have a good time. The only other new parks I have done this year were SFOT, Mt Olympus and Advnentureland Iowa! With my usual go to forum down for maintenance I stumbled across this community. Just wanted to welcome my self!   

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

Welcome to KIC! Which ride/rides are you most looking forward to when you visit KI? Also, I'm curious to know what coaster is in your profile picture/avatar.

That coaster in my pic is the Monster at Adventureland. We went there labor day weekend. I am really looking forward to Mystic Timbers! That would be top of my list. Fury 325 is my number 2 coaster so I am also looking forward to Orion. If it is even half as good as Fury then I will be thrilled! I love B&M inverts but hate the wing vest restraints so I am very curious to see how that relates, Banshees layout looks very good. Montu is my favorite invert and they look very similar. Invertigo looks fun. That will be my first inverted boomerang. Adventure Express looks neat. I will not be able to exprience The Beast at night so that is sad. I was supposed to go to Kings Island last year on the final day of Vortex's operation. My flight had a break down and I did not make it. I am hoping that Diamondback is better then Ragin Bull and Intimidator at Carowinds. I do not expect it to be as good as Mako. This has been such a bucket list park for me . I am very excited 

• Like 4

Good stuff! Banshee has a very unique layout and Mystic is really fun. My favorite coaster at the park is The Bat (an Arrow Suspended that is tucked away near Banshee); I've been riding that since I was a kid! ^_^ Also, Invertigo is fun too! Though you can choose to face another rider (or an empty seat), I prefer riding on the ends (my favorite seat is the very back (going up the first lift forwards), seat closest to the entrance). If you find you enjoy your first ride on Invertigo, try riding facing the other direction!

11 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

Invertigo is one heck of a headbanger but all the other rides are good.

My home park is MIA so I am used to marathoning Thunderhawk. I have a great trick with some rides with otsr's. I hold my head all the way forward to completely keep my head out of the restraint. Creates a very fun ride with zero head banging. I will use that same trick on Invertigo and Bat and should be fine! I am soooo bummed I was not able to ride Vortex. I had a poster of that ride on my wall like 20 something years ago! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grsupercity said:

I have a great trick with some rides with otsr's. I hold my head all the way forward to completely keep my head out of the restraint. Creates a very fun ride with zero head banging.

That's what I always did while riding Vortex! People always say to keep your head back on rides with OTSRs, but from my experience, it is best to hold your head forward. I actually tried riding while holding my head back and it did not work as well!

Now if only everyone else knew so that headbanging complaints would substantially decrease... :)

• Like 1

Welcome to this awesome forum! I have also had to find this form because my other forums were not as welcoming as KIC (Kings Island Central), but the community here is extremely welcoming, and we are looking forward to hearing about your trip to Kings Island! Kings Island has made many happy memories for me, my first trip was on October 28 2018 with VortexBFForever (she is your go to for an awesome friend to hang with all with Toothless the emotional support dragon), and don’t be afraid to ask questions that haven’t been answered on the forums before. I asked a lot of questions on this amazing forum, where the community has helped me conquer fears, and I even rode Drop Tower on my last visit to conquer my slight fear of heights! If you need any advice for Kings Island, you have come to the right place, and other parks are welcomed here as well.

My current (past and present) favorite coasters at Kings Island are Vortex, Firehawk, Banshee, Diamondback, Orion, Bat, and Invertigo (I love all of them but Vortex and Firehawk hold a special place in my heart). My favorite flat rides at Kings Island are Delirium, Slingshot, Drop Tower, and Skyflyer. I hope you get to experience all of the amazing rides here at Kings Island, I have been a total of five times at the time of me writing this, and I am here for y’all and new members like yourself.

Here is one of my favorite memories of Kings Island (this was my first ride of all time at Kings Island and it holds a special place in my heart along with VortexBFForever and many others)(notice Toothless how he fits within the restraint).4c9022e43caeb9f3a46d01f77ec82854.jpg
Welcome to Kings Island Central!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On 10/9/2020 at 8:41 AM, IndyGuy4KI said:

I think it is a little better with the new trains, but wit the transitions Inverigo has, headbanging is just part of the deal with it.

Which version of the Vekoma Boomerang is more comfortable? And when I say "comfortable", I mean as the most comfortable it CAN be.

3 hours ago, VortexBFForever said:

Express was my original favorite night ride, and is in my opinion the most underrated night ride in the park. It feels totally different from its daytime experience!

Adventure Express would be one of my favorite rides if it weren't for its sharp turns. Those turns make it a ride that I would NOT recommend riding DIRECTLY after you eat.

Hey @grsupercity, if you ever ride The Beast at any point, then here is a suggestion. If you want a smooth ride, or the smoothest it can be, then I'd suggest you ether ride in a non-wheel seat, or ride as closest to the front row as you can. Never ride in the very back row on, The Beast!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dj325 said:

Hey @grsupercity, if you ever ride The Beast at any point, then here is a suggestion. If you want a smooth ride, or the smoothest it can be, then I'd suggest you ether ride in a non-wheel seat, or ride as closest to the front row as you can. Never ride in the very back row on, The Beast!

Michigan's Adventure is my home park. Wolverine Wildcat has 3 bench PTC trains which is what The Beast has correct? So I have grown very used to riding in a middle non wheel seat car lol.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, grsupercity said:

Michigan's Adventure is my home park. Wolverine Wildcat has 3 bench PTC trains which is what The Beast has correct? So I have grown very used to riding in a middle non wheel seat car lol.

I think members would love for you to create a Michagans Adventure thread in the Other Parks and Industry News Forums and keep us informed about what is going on at your home park!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grsupercity said:

I used to not like The Beast very much until I started riding in the non-wheel seats.

On 10/13/2020 at 6:17 AM, Dj325 said:

I hope this can help The Beast riders looking for a 'smooth' non-wheel seat row. With COVID-19 and social distancing, many non-wheel seat rows are currently unavailable. Fortunately, row 14 is available. My last three rides, all in row 14, were relatively smooth.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So we finally got to Kings Island. Everytime we planned on going in the past something would come up that would prevent us from going. We went Saturday the 24th. Thank goddess for Fast Lane! It was also our first experience with funpix. We have avoided parks this summer that required masks but with how chilly it was the mask was actually nice to keep the cold air off my face. 

We started the day off with Banshee. I have never met a B&M invert that I did not love..... Until this ride. The vest got tighter and tighter throughout the ride. I have been on all 5 coasters in America with the vest and they are not for me. It also had a vibration that I am not used to on inverts. I could see how the layout would be very good otherwise sadly. 

Next was The Bat. This was a very fun coaster. Good swinging. Way better then Iron Dragon which is my only other suspended coaster. 

Invertigo and Adventure Express opened late so headed over to The Racer. We did the blue and red side. I found it to be a pretty smooth ride given its age. Decent pops of air!

Orion was next. My first ride was underwhelming. My later ride which was a fastlane walk on was better. It had warmed up and felt fast. Smoothest coaster in the park. Someone else said it best that it is a gentle giant. First drop is steeper than I anticipated. First drop and speed hill were best parts of the ride

Backlot Stunt Coaster was the surprise hit of the day. That death delix out of the launch was great. This would be a perfect coaster for spinning cars 

Flight of Fear was fun. Launch was good. First cobra roll and ending corkscrew were great. Everything in the middle didn't do much. Rougher than other premier coasters that I have rode. But Banshee and Diamondback were also rougher than their counterparts so theme of the park lol 

Beast is a legend among gp and enthusiasts. A ride so big in lore, The world's longest wooden coaster. Broke every record out when it opened............Was not for me. Grouperut me on a rear wheel seat and I felt every bump and pothole. Between the trims, and rough ride and lack of any airtime this was a one and done for me. I can see how it could be fun with some drinks and a night ride but a midday sunny ride did not live up to the hype

Mystic Timbers was my most anticipated ride in the park and it did not disappoint. Had a bunch of quick transitions and quick pops of airtime. I am torn between this and Orion as the best ride in the park. I am leaning towards Mystic though! 

Diamondback was fun. Grouper actually gave us back seat. Had a noticeable rattle but did not take away from the ride. Had that nice classic floater air these are known for. Third best ride in the park after Mystic and Orion. The hammerhead turn around felt more forceful then others I have ridden 

Adventure Express was a neat mind train. Liked the theming on the final chain lift 

Invertigo was fun. I used my SLC trick, I hold my head all the way forward out of the restraint to avoid any head banging. I am sure I look stupid but makes them good rides. I would say most forceful ride in the park 

Skyline chilli lived up to the hype. We had a 3 sample tasting card in our group. We tried pizza and cupcakes with the pizza being the better selection 

We walked away with way too much merch. Great Merchandise in this park. Sorry I had my phone in a locker most of the day so not a lot of pictures Very very very nice park. Easily in my top 3 Cedar Fair parks. I hope to return soon 

• Like 3

I really liked the park. It is right up there with Cedar Point and Carowinds. I wish I could of got more rides on Mystic Timbers. It had the longest Fast Lane line. It is easily one of the best GCI's I have ridden. The park had a really nice layout, great local and chain food options, great shady areas and nice large trees. I was very impressed with this park. Who ever has this park as a home park are lucky 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, grsupercity said:

I really liked the park. It is right up there with Cedar Point and Carowinds. I wish I could of got more rides on Mystic Timbers. It had the longest Fast Lane line. It is easily one of the best GCI's I have ridden. The park had a really nice layout, great local and chain food options, great shady areas and nice large trees. I was very impressed with this park. Who ever has this park as a home park are lucky 

Have you made it to KD yet?