Michigan's Adventure

Hello MIA is my home park and I am starting this thread to keep this site updated on Cedar Fairs Michigan Location. I am also the head of the Michigan's Adventure fans facebook page. The park is currently finishing its new for 2020 (now 2021) Camp Snoopy. It is looking great. Beagle Scout look out has been topped off. Camp Bus and Trailblazers are also finished. When I went to the park last month the entrance signs and canoe were also in place! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This is actually one of my favorite small parks now and is very underrated.  Its an easy park to just take your time and enjoy things.  The ride line up isn't too shabby either and some of the architecture kind of gives it its own character, especially the arcade by the lake and the Dodgems building.  

Also, Shivering Timbers is amazing in the front seat.  Corkscrew is actually kind of fun as well for what it is.  Wolverine Wildcat is a simple re-tracking away from being good.  

silver2005, who hopes to return next year along side a trip to Sandusky and possibly Erie.

• Like 2

That construction looks great! Even though it's for the kids, I'm sure those fans of MiA are really excited.

As for me, I've been to Michigan's Adventure once in 2005. Shivering Timbers was fun and when I got back from the trip, I recreated it from memory in RCT2. I also rode all the other coasters, including Big Dipper. The one reason for me to go back there would be to ride Thunderhawk as it used to be at Geagua Lake/SFWOA. Though I never went there when it operated, GL/Six Flags Worlds of Adventure seemed like a really cool place and I'd love to ride some more relocated coasters from there - I've already ridden Firehawk (X-Flight) and Possessed (Superman) at Dorney. The only ones left for me to ride would be Thunderhawk, Dominator (Kings Dominion) and Flying Cobras (Carowinds).

Aside from this, Grand Rapids looks cool and it would be nice to ride their Mad Mouse again. Fun Fact: Mad Mouse was my first Wild Mouse coaster.

EDIT: Also, I remember their waterpark being a decent size. IIRC, I remember Adventure Falls being fun and having a better drop than Congo Falls.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

That construction looks great! Even though it's for the kids, I'm sure those fans of MiA are really excited.

As for me, I've been to Michigan's Adventure once in 2005. Shivering Timbers was fun and when I got back from the trip, I recreated it from memory in RCT2. I also rode all the other coasters, including Big Dipper. The one reason for me to go back there would be to ride Thunderhawk as it used to be at Geagua Lake/SFWOA. Though I never went there when it operated, GL/Six Flags Worlds of Adventure seemed like a really cool place and I'd love to ride some more relocated coasters from there - I've already ridden Firehawk (X-Flight) and Possessed (Superman) at Dorney. The only ones left for me to ride would be Thunderhawk, Dominator (Kings Dominion) and Flying Cobras (Carowinds).

Aside from this, Grand Rapids looks cool and it would be nice to ride their Mad Mouse again. Fun Fact: Mad Mouse was my first Wild Mouse coaster.

EDIT: Also, I remember their waterpark being a decent size. IIRC, I remember Adventure Falls being fun and having a better drop than Congo Falls.

Thunderhawk is by far the smoothest SLC I have been on. Flying Cobra's is by far the best boomerang I have been on! Your are right that Wild Water Adventure is huge. I have never seen it hit capacity even on the busiest days. It has 3 kids areas, 3 wave pools, a lazy river and around 7 slide towers. The park on paper may not look much different then 2005 but it is. Everything has received new paint, new flats, reworked midways, Thunderhawk and a second train station. It looks much more Cedar Fair now and way less carnival.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

They need something like Tantrum at Darien Lake. I feel like the park would do better if they got a modern coaster.

They almost got one. They were going to receive a $7 million dollar D.H. Morgan hypercoaster. It would have been 210 feet tall and ran alongside Shivering Timbers. I believe it fell through when plans for the resort Hotel/Campground fell through.

10 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

They almost got one. They were going to receive a $7 million dollar D.H. Morgan hypercoaster. It would have been 210 feet tall and ran alongside Shivering Timbers. I believe it fell through when plans for the resort Hotel/Campground fell through.

Can you please cite your sources? I had to google it myself just to understand what you were talking about.

https://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/news/archives/april99/stories/041399_02.shtml

11 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

Mamba costs 10 million in 1996.  This hyper is either BS or would have been 3000' or so.

15 hours ago, grsupercity said:

When Cedar Fair purchased the park sadly the Hotel, Hyper and campground were canceled. The old owners of the park though did end up building a glamp ground across the street. 

I remember from Kinzel's book that CF has planned on building a park in Michigan before settling on purchasing MA. It makes me wonder why they invest so little into the park if they were planning on building one anyway.

I still think they should get a ride like Tantrum.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 12:39 AM, SonofBaconator said:

I remember from Kinzel's book that CF has planned on building a park in Michigan before settling on purchasing MA. It makes me wonder why they invest so little into the park if they were planning on building one anyway.

I still think they should get a ride like Tantrum.

They relocated Thunderhak in 2008 and had record attendance. Did nothing in 2009 and 2010 and continued having record attendance. They literally invest very little in this park and pull in the highest profit margins in the chain. The park has proven to not have a drop off in guest's even without new attractions. The park has no real competition other Cedar Point which they do not want to compete with. 

30 minutes ago, grsupercity said:

They relocated Thunderhak in 2008 and had record attendance. Did nothing in 2009 and 2010 and continued having record attendance. They literally invest very little in this park and pull in the highest profit margins in the chain. The park has proven to not have a drop off in guest's even without new attractions. The park has no real competition other Cedar Point which they do not want to compete with. 

Do you think they're overdue for another bigger attraction? Do you think that'll give the park record attendance like Thunderhawk did?

On 11/7/2020 at 11:03 AM, SonofBaconator said:

Do you think they're overdue for another bigger attraction? Do you think that'll give the park record attendance like Thunderhawk did?

Oh it would. The chain bought the park to not compete with Cedar Point. Cedar Point pulls so many people from Michigan. 

On 11/7/2020 at 10:32 AM, grsupercity said:

I am pretty certain you are wrong about it having the highest profit margins.  The best profits on the least amount of capital investment?  Maybe, but that is not how profit margins work, it’s about total cost of operating the parks.

The problem with MA is they have the lowest revenue of the whole chain, and frankly it’s not even close, and in total profits they are either last or next to last.

I do think it’s about time for the park to see a big new ride, and I think an RMC Raptor would be a great fit.

23 hours ago, Kenban said:

I am pretty certain you are wrong about it having the highest profit margins.  The best profits on the least amount of capital investment?  Maybe, but that is not how profit margins work, it’s about total cost of operating the parks.

The problem with MA is they have the lowest revenue of the whole chain, and frankly it’s not even close, and in total profits they are either last or next to last.

I do think it’s about time for the park to see a big new ride, and I think an RMC Raptor would be a great fit.

They are last in profit made. But they are highest in money coming in vs the money going out. The margins are the highest. Lets see any other Cedar Fair park get the lack of investment this park gets and continue to maintain attendance 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@grsupercity I have a question for you with MA being your home park. You mention how CP pulls a lot from Michigan, I don't know if they still have their Michigander Deal or not, but do you know if there's a lot of platinum pass holders who go to MA? Rather are there people in the Grand Rapids/Muskegon/Western Michigan area who opt for platinum passes so they can hit up both CP and MA?

• 6 months later...