New Pass Perks

IceePirate

Anyone else not a fan of the new pass perks? I feel like the way they did it last year was much better as while it might not be stuff I use, it's still related to the park. With this new system it just feels like I'm getting spam email. It it was offers for free things, that'd be one thing, but 25% off, free things after you buy x amount, just doesn't sit right with me really.

If I'm getting a % off perk, make it 5% off merch or 20% off a candy apple. I get that some people might appreciate these, but when it's sent to me in an email, it feels like unsolicited advertising. If the park were actually getting money from these *ads* then it would be unsolicited advertising, which they might very well be doing. I'm also not saying that I think that the idea is a bad one entirely, just poor execution. I feel a better way to do this would be launch a website with "exclusive limited time offers" to passholders, and then send out an email once a month/quarter to tell people what's new with the park and offers. That way people get to take advantage of the offers if they want, not needlessly spam people who might not want it, and give the park another reason to add to the list of why people should get/renew their pass.

What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

Anyone else not a fan of the new pass perks? I feel like the way they did it last year was much better as while it might not be stuff I use, it's still related to the park. With this new system it just feels like I'm getting spam email. It it was offers for free things, that'd be one thing, but 25% off, free things after you buy x amount, just doesn't sit right with me really.

If I'm getting a % off perk, make it 5% off merch or 20% off a candy apple. I get that some people might appreciate these, but when it's sent to me in an email, it feels like unsolicited advertising. If the park were actually getting money from these *ads* then it would be unsolicited advertising, which they might very well be doing. I'm also not saying that I think that the idea is a bad one entirely, just poor execution. I feel a better way to do this would be launch a website with "exclusive limited time offers" to passholders, and then send out an email once a month/quarter to tell people what's new with the park and offers. That way people get to take advantage of the offers if they want, not needlessly spam people who might not want it, and give the park another reason to add to the list of why people should get/renew their pass.

What are your thoughts?

It’s a business. I see no problem with it.

Its like airlines who say if you fly x miles to join medallion. There are benefits for joining medallion. You’re trying to say that the system is wrong and everyone should get the benefits, but that is how many industries work.

1 hour ago, IceePirate said:

I am with you on this. When I opened the email I was expecting an actual park perk, instead it is ONLY for outside stuff. I appreciate offers outside the park, but the outside offers should not be the focal point of the email. It should have in park items as a perk, and then a section at the bottom saying check out these additional out of park perks. 

This might be a way they are generating extra revenue with other businesses with email marketing. I get that, but lets get in park perks before outside perks.

• Like 2

I checked out the surf and turf by using a computer not connected to my email.  I got the same offer on the website as the pass perk is.

I'd guess they are finding revenue streams, which i support.  I wouldn't be happy about it if were in a normal year, but like buying extra merch when I visit, I want to support the park in these lean times.  It's a business, I know, but I have wringed every penny worth out of my pass, food and dining plans over the year.  

• Like 1

I think another reason they could be doing this is to keep Kings Island in people's minds. Even though the ads are another way to make money (which some may or may not like - personally, I think it is kind-of weird that it's not ads directly related to the park, but whatever...), I think it's also the park saying "Hey, don't forget about us!" as one gets these e-mails every so often and therefore, it keeps Kings Island (or [insert Cedar Fair park here]) on people's minds. This keeps those who can't/won't go to the parks right now due to the current situation still thinking about the park as a viable entertainment option for when things get better (Like, "oh yeah, Kings Island!" The alternative would be someone forgetting about the park (out of sight, out of mind) and completely moving on to some other form of entertainment). Luckily, those of us who frequent this site are big fans of the park and won't soon forget KI, but as it's said around here sometimes, we aren't always the target market. Gotta keep people engaged somehow...

• Like 1