Action Zone retheme?

Dj325

There's an area in the park that once made sense, but is now nothing but a shell of what it once was. That area is Action Zone. Back when Kings Island was known as Paramount's Kings Island, the area was called Paramount's Action Zone. Back then the area contained rides themed to various Paramount movies like: Face-off (now Invertigo), Top Gun (later named Flight Deck, and now The Bat), and Drop Zone (now Drop Tower). There was also a stunt show that was done around a big water tower to show guests how stunts are done when filming a movie. But when Kings Island dropped the Paramount name and went under the ownership of Cedar Fair, all of the rides and attractions themed to Paramount franchises were stripped of their movie theming and were given new names. The Paramount's Action Zone was renamed to just simply Action Zone. What was once the home of most the park's movie themed attractions, is now mostly known for the location of Banshee, and maybe Invertigo. I think Action Zone can be something better than just a reminder of what it once was. Do you think Action Zone deserves some retheming? If so, What do you think it should be rethemed to? If not, then why not? Let me know your thoughts.

• Like 1

I think Action Zone needs a lot of work. As it stands, it is my least favorite main area of the park. Even when Paramount owned the park, Action Zone looked bad. I think they should do a Black Forest type theme which would fit well with Banshee and The Bat. The walkway leading into Action Zone would really set the mood for the new themed area with all the trees especially when they are illuminated at night. In the area itself, it would be nice to see new names for rides that fit with the new theme, new buildings and food locations that go with the theme, and more trees. I could potentially see Action Zone getting a major overhaul when it gets its next major coaster.

• Like 3

Ik I'm going to get a lot of backlash for this idea, but here it goes. I think that the next major coaster to go in this area won't be in the Invertigo/Congo/Timberwolf plot of land, but I think it'll go in the area where The Bat currently sits along with the big giant field behind Banshee. I still think Congo Falls and Invertigo will bite the dust, but I think they'll be replaced with a flat or two. I think Congo could get replaced by an S&S Scream n Swing and keep the water there and have it swing over the water. Maybe they could go the Canada's Wonderland route and add a flat or two to that area and a new food stand or maybe remove the current food stand (chicken shack) and have it replaced by a new restaurant that could fit with a medieval/Halloween theme. Then add a large new coaster where The Bat is to finish out the new area like Canada's Wonderland did with Yukon Striker and Frontier Canada. 

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Ik I'm going to get a lot of backlash for this idea, but here it goes. I think that the next major coaster to go in this area won't be in the Invertigo/Congo/Timberwolf plot of land, but I think it'll go in the area where The Bat currently sits along with the big giant field behind Banshee. I still think Congo Falls and Invertigo will bite the dust, but I think they'll be replaced with a flat or two. I think Congo could get replaced by an S&S Scream n Swing and keep the water there and have it swing over the water. Maybe they could go the Canada's Wonderland route and add a flat or two to that area and a new food stand or maybe remove the current food stand (chicken shack) and have it replaced by a new restaurant that could fit with a medieval/Halloween theme. Then add a large new coaster where The Bat is to finish out the new area like Canada's Wonderland did with Yukon Striker and Frontier Canada. 

I respect your opinion, but if Kings Island takes out The Bat, they lose the only family oriented coaster in Action Zone. That is part of the reason why people don’t currently spend much time in Action Zone. There is only The Bat and maybe Congo Falls in terms of rides for the whole family, so families don’t feel the need to spend a lot of time in Action Zone. If they do remove The Bat, I think they will likely replace it with a family coaster like Firechaser Express at Dollywood.

• Like 1

Ditch the separate name entirely and blend it with Oktoberfest, then you have a proper Oktoberfest area like Busch Williamsburg with both family and thrill rides, and both "fest" theming area and the creepy forest area. It would involve a lot of concrete removal but could certainly be done.

• Like 5

I agree that they need to take a page out of Canada's Wonderland Frontier Canada section and take a few years and gradually build up that area.

When I look at the whole area the only rides in the current Action Zone that I feel are not in danger of getting removed are Banshee, Delirium, and probably Drop Tower. 

I hope they are able to keep The Bat but from a chain standpoint if it comes to saving Vortex at Wonderland or saving The Bat (they are clones), they are going to save Vortex at CW because it is probably the fourth most popular ride there.  I do think The Bat's ridership would improve if they found a way to shorten the queue.  Long range if they got rid of Timberwolf they could do a more direct route to the ride.  The park of course did something similar when they rerouted White Water Canyon's queue line to prepare for Mystic.

Like others have said I would say Invertigo and Congo are probably both in danger.  The interesting thing would be if the park kept Congo but just removed Invertigo.  If they put some family flats in there like a Tilt-a-Whirl and Musik Express it might actually help Congo's ridership.  I still think Congo goes at some point though.

I do like either going with a Black Forest theme or just combining it with Oktoberfest.

As far as the next coaster, I actually like something like Copperhead Strike in that area.  Since it only has a 48" height requirement it would be something that more people could do.  If they did reroute The Bat entrance with a Timberwolf removal, they could build the entrance to the new coaster on part of the Timberwolf plot and then go down in part of the old Bat path over to some of the empty SOB area.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PKIDelirium said:

Ditch the separate name entirely and blend it with Oktoberfest, then you have a proper Oktoberfest area like Busch Williamsburg with both family and thrill rides, and both "fest" theming area and the creepy forest area. It would involve a lot of concrete removal but could certainly be done.

I totally dig this idea. It would be such a logical flow. 

• 2 weeks later...

After coming up with a master plan concept for Coney Mall, I decided to make one for Action Zone. Here is what I came up with:

The area would be renamed "Fear Central"

Congo Falls would be replaced by an S&S Scream N Swing

Invertigo would be replaced by a Sky Wheel

Timberwolf would be removed and a new pathway featuring 3 new flats and a new restaurant would be added. One of the flats would be a Top Scan similar to what Carowinds got. 

Xtreme Skyflyer would be removed or relocated and would be replaced by a flat ride. 

The Chicken Shack building would be removed and replaced with a new restaurant

Drop Tower would receive a new paint job and be renamed "Demon Drop"

Then to top it all off, The Bat would be replaced by a new ground up RMC themed to a Beast Sequel (not directly tied to Son of Beast)

Here is the photo:

2020-10-29_13.14.41.jpg

• Like 1

This is one of the things that I did not really like about the Scheid/early CF ownership years. While areas of the park were revamped with new ride additions, often it felt half a**ed. Rivertown getting a refresh but losing its charm, Festhaus getting de-contented, Coney Mall getting pavers but losing signage, and Action Zone becoming an even more confusing amalgamation of themes. I mean, they repainted Delirium to remove the "checkered flag" patterns, but didn't even touch Drop Tower. The last few years have been a huge step forward. Under Mike Koontz, the park has focused heavily on atmosphere. The International Street revamp was complete and well done, Festhaus has been (mostly) restored, and Area 72 is mind blowing in its attention to detail. I hope we see further revamps of areas within the park, and I see Action Zone as an area that really needs work. I really like the idea that has been posted here numerous times of a "Dark Forest" retheme. For a regional park like KI, it would theoretically be a cheap re-skin too. Almost all the current rides would fit right in, with some paint schemes receiving modification (removal of checkered flag accents from Drop Tower). Just plant/relocate a LOT more trees, add some spooky signage, and there you have it.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ThrillKingsOryan said:

Why not a haunt theme? Make a year-long haunt section. My favorite haunt is the outpost 5 one. Bat and Banshee are already themed. Just slap some scary imagery around and you’re golden (I’m guessing that Invertigo and Congo falls are on their way out anyway)

I was thinking they could pull a Fortnite and retheme a section of the park every year. 

As I walked around Action Zone yesterday it just reconfirmed for me the help that area needs.  Obviously yesterday was a cold windy day so a lot of the rides were down.  But once Banshee went down only The Bat and Delirium were running.  

I did end up with one of the best rides that I have ever had on The Bat though.  

As far as the theme of the area I continue to think a haunt/spooky theme is the answer.  Playing around with names I like Enchanted Forest for the name. It is a nostalgic callback to one of the most popular defunct attractions.  Also I think Enchanted is a little softer sounding than Haunted.

From a quick fix standpoint if they relocated Skyflyer elsewhere in the park, they could easily put a couple family flats in that space.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

As far as the theme of the area I continue to think a haunt/spooky theme is the answer.  Playing around with names I like Enchanted Forest for the name. It is a nostalgic callback to one of the most popular defunct attractions.  Also I think Enchanted is a little softer sounding than Haunted.

I really like the name Enchanted Forest for the area.  You start in this forest and end at the haunted saw mill at the other end of the park.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I really like the name Enchanted Forest for the area.  You start in this forest and end at the haunted saw mill at the other end of the park.

I say to play off on that theme. They could replace bat with an RMC and it could be themed to a haunted sawmill. Or you must be talking about Mystic Timbers. 

I hardly visited Action Zone area of the park this season.  If money wast an object I would remove Invertago and install maybe one of those new Premier launching coasters.  I think that would make a good coaster in that area.  I would like remove Flight Deck put another coaster in its place.  Something like a blitz coaster could fit this area well playing with the land.   

I also think the support coasters are aging fast at Kings Island.  Adventure Express, Flight Deck, Invertago, Flight of Fear.  The park is in for and exciting next 15-20 years.  

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Made an Action Zone expansion based off of what Carowinds is supposedly getting next year:

Rides include:

an S&S scream n swing replacing Congo

a zamperla air race

a zamperla nebulaz

a trabant ride

Also features a new food stand and keeps the Timberwolf stage for shows

Kings island action zone expansion.png

I would actually be down for this. KI has some great flats but I feel like they need a couple more standout ones. Skyhawk is one of the best flats imo, so I would like to have one at KI, especially in the Action Zone.

• Like 1

I like this idea overall. Never really thought about keeping the Timberwolf stage but I like that idea. It still opens up most of the Timberwolf area for development but keeps the stage for shows and they could still do Spirit Song with the bands just playing in a standing room only area kind of like Universal Orlando does their concerts.

• Like 1

Honestly, aside from the retheme, I would like to see them add a new midway path.  I was thinking they could create a "main" path (there are different ways of redirecting traffic) that goes from in front of the KI Theatre to between the restrooms and Invertigo, extend it out through where Congo and Timberwolf now are and then back up in the land where the skycoaster is. This would give them more opportunities for additions and it would also bring more guests by Invertigo and The Bat entrances in a more natural way. While I like that the park doesn't force you to walk as much as, say, Cedar Point, I think its due for an expansion of this sort.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, purdude86 said:

I like this idea overall. Never really thought about keeping the Timberwolf stage but I like that idea. It still opens up most of the Timberwolf area for development but keeps the stage for shows and they could still do Spirit Song with the bands just playing in a standing room only area kind of like Universal Orlando does their concerts.

Spirit Song isn't even scheduled this year and this would be the 3rd season without it. So I honestly think its done unless like I've said before they decide to bring it back and hold it in the parking lot like Cedar Point. 

15 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Spirit Song isn't even scheduled this year and this would be the 3rd season without it. So I honestly think its done unless like I've said before they decide to bring it back and hold it in the parking lot like Cedar Point. 

Yea I could see it not returning, but that always seemed to be a big counterpoint to removing the theatre period, that this design gives us a new stage and leaves open the ability ot have it back in some form too while being able to utilize the space better. Kind of the best of both worlds.