Things that need to be addressed by 2030

SonofBaconator

On 10/22/2020 at 10:33 PM, Braves0511 said:

I wish Timberwolf was used more regularly.  I've never been to a show there, so I can't really speak to it's quality as an amphitheater or what it would need to be completely modernized, but I would make the trip way more often if there was a good concert involved. I think the real obstacle, however, is Ticketmaster. Unfortunately pretty much all big live music goes through them, and I can't imagine a relationship with them would be worth the expense and effort to use it more.

Weird Al sounded pretty good back in the early 2000s lol 

it would be cool for hosting like local groups etc skip the big Ticketmaster and host weekend music festivals with different acts all day long. It's still suitable for something like that I'd think.  Unsure that last thing held there  I'm assuming spirit song? 

it's actually in a good spot it could be gated off and have it's own entrance and be rented out to smaller bands to host concerts etc that maybe just getting started. Many big country states started out singing in all day multiple gig concerts before growing into their own top name. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LuckyluvsKI said:

Weird Al sounded pretty good back in the early 2000s lol 

it would be cool for hosting like local groups etc skip the big Ticketmaster and host weekend music festivals with different acts all day long. It's still suitable for something like that I'd think.  Unsure that last thing held there  I'm assuming spirit song?

That is correct. Spiritsong (and I think some Music in the Park events?) are the only things held in Timberwolf these days. It would be great if they would bring back concerts to KI like they had back in the day. Then again, I only went to Spiritsong there for a number of years (I think my first was '01 and I went all the time as a teen: my last visit for a full day experience was 2018; and my last SS visit was 2019 only to see Crowder), but it would be cool to have other music groups perform there!

This list is very similar to the one I created back when we needed changes for 2010 and then 2020... which means the park is going the opposite direction (IMO).

- Parking lot: I thought when they redid the entrance we’d get an entire make over. The entrance looks great. Then it’s the Wild West. Is it gravel? Is it a festival lot? Is it the original blacktop from opening day?

- Bring back the charm: the park continuously slides towards vanilla and corporate all over the place. From music to restaurants to rides. It feels very cookie cutterish. Which is why when something does open it feels very unique and fun, till everything goes back to the way it was. Even during Paramount we got characters walking around. Nothing now.

- Kids area: look I get that Snoopy is beloved by many but for kids it’s very dated. I’m not saying bring back Hannah Barbara (even if they are starting to come back - Scoob). But with Charlie Brown moving from over the air to Apple TV that’s just another barrier for introductions of characters. And I get it, it’s expensive and probably not worth it.

-Entertainment: we need more and in more dedicated areas. Maybe even more spontaneous entertainment. For a family with young or old , thrill rides do nothing

-Booblasters: how is this still around? It’s lasted longer than Phantom (both as the scooby ride and in its current formation). It’s objectively worse.

Overall park employee training and engagement: it’s gotten better the last few years but for some folks getting to KI may only be a once in a lifetime experience and there are at times where it still feels like a bother to employees to be there.

Lastly——
Identify the parks identity: KI has gone through an identity crisis the last 10-15 years. It’s gone from a premiere park to a secondary (or tertiary) park in the profile. That’s fine. But the park doesn’t have an identity. Are we a charming one Older style park, are we a thrill seeker, are we a theme park, unsure. I’d love for it to go into the charm of a theme park but as it sits right now it feels about 33% of each of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

That is correct. Spiritsong (and I think some Music in the Park events?) are the only things held in Timberwolf these days. It would be great if they would bring back concerts to KI like they had back in the day. Then again, I only went to Spiritsong there for a number of years (I think my first was '01 and I went all the time as a teen: my last visit for a full day experience was 2018; and my last SS visit was 2019 only to see Crowder), but it would be cool to have other music groups perform there!

I believe the opening of Riverbend stopped acts from going to Timberwolf.  So the reason we are left with mostly Spirtsong playing there once a year.  To be honest I am not sure what else plays in Timberwolf.

• Like 1

I know there have been several lists on the thread  already, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in there.  These are just some random thoughts about things I'd like to see in the park 10 years from now, some of which do echo things that have been mentioned in this thread previously.

--Something added to The Vortex plot of land--.  I'd prefer to see a new coaster go here.  My preference would be a ground-up RMC.  I am wondering if something like Zandra would fit here.  I think the most likely coaster that CF might install in this plot would be a Mack launch, similar to Copperhead Strike.  I'd really be happy with anything though, as opposed to using this land for new flats, or interactive area.

-- Action Theater re-purposed --  I think there are some creative things that could be done with this building, instead of just using it for a Haunt for part of the year.  There have been several great ideas in this thread and others of what could be done with the building.  I'd like to see the return of a motion simulator type of ride, but with newer tech than before, and possibly 3D like what BGW has.

--The Tomb Raider Building -- I'm not sure that I am in favor of tearing it down for no reason, I like the haunt that is in this building.  But it would be nice to see it open for the entire season.  I think re-theming the entrance to a cave, instead of a tomb would be a good start.  That would at least help with the Rivertown theme.  Maybe a wild Mouse could fit in part of the building and also go outside?  Or perhaps just installing a smaller themed top spin inside would work.

--The parking lot does need some love

--Park Landscaping/Themed areas -- Kings Island has done a great job over the last couple of seasons with park beautification.  The Pavers and updates on International Street at the beginning of the 2019 season look great.  The updates in Coney Mall this year definitely look nice.  I hope this trend continues into 2030 and beyond.  I think the park could use some more trees, so maybe planting some fast growing pines in certain areas for shade could help.  More landscaping/foliage around the park would be nice too.  I also think going more "all in" on the themed areas would help the overall ambiance.  I like feeling like I am in my own little world, away from the outside when I am at a park.  Had a great experience at BGT this summer, and the theming and plant life (granted, it is Florida) had a lot to do with that.

--Action Zone--  I'd like to see Action Zone get an actual theme, instead of this melting pot type of vibe you get there now.  With some re-themes and painting of rides like Delirium and Drop Tower, and some trees added, it would be a great area for some sort of spooky theme.  With rides like Banshee and Bat already, it would make the most sense of the theme to go with. If this happens, I like the idea of an Adventure Express re-theme so that it could be absorbed into the new Spooky themed area.

--Soak City-- It is rare that I find myself in SC these days.  I preferred The Beach because of the large crowds at the waterpark at KI.  Having said that, some more shade, and more attractions would be nice.  I'd like to see a watercoaster and another slide complex added.  Maybe replace some of the old/original slides for slides that are better at line chewing.  I live a couple hours away from the park, so if I'm feeling like waterparking it these days, I go to Holiday World who has really built up a world class waterpark.

I'm sure there are others on my mind, but this post looks to be long enough for now!

• Like 2