New Metal Detectors at Front Gate

DeltaFlyer

It appears that the park is testing new metal detectors at the front gate today. They look to be the Express model by Evolv Technology, and allow security screenings to take place fluidly and without bag checks. Traffic was flowing much faster through the security checkpoint using these new machines. 

https://evolvtechnology.com/products/evolv-express/

Have you been to the park and experienced the new screening process?

8FF2FAA2-F5F6-4E05-8D09-E32702D686FF.jpeg

Edited by DeltaFlyer
Added photo
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

They were same as usual. They were inspecting bags, and doing the normal procedures.

Went though when I got here and everyone was just walking straight through like they were not even there.  There was no slowing down at all. No bag checks nothing. It was awesome.

• Like 2

I believe the new technology has the ability to essentially show what's in your pockets.  Probably would create added security and could be faster.  I walked through it around 5:00 with phone, smart watch, and keys and it didn't go off.  A ton of security guys were standing there watching along with the guys from the company that supplied the technology.  Hopefully this works well for them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I believe the new technology has the ability to essentially show what's in your pockets.  Probably would create added security and could be faster.  I walked through it around 5:00 with phone, smart watch, and keys and it didn't go off.  A ton of security guys were standing there watching along with the guys from the company that supplied the technology.  Hopefully this works well for them.

If they work as they are advertised,  I could see them cut down to one set per side. You would not need any more. This would save on security costs and your could put those extra security members in the park.

We’ve come a long way from this time last year when everyone had to empty their pockets and put their items in the bins and all bags having to be taken off and inspected. I think it was last Winterfest, Kings Island must have upgraded the metal detectors or something because guests were allowed to keep their phones and other items in their pockets without having to place them in bins. Now bags don’t even need to be checked with these new metal detectors, creating a seamless process. While COVID-19 has mostly had a negative effect, it has at least pushed innovation in the coaster industry.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

If they work as they are advertised,  I could see them cut down to one set per side. You would not need any more. This would save on security costs and your could put those extra security members in the park.

Or save on labor, which I'm sure the company is trying to sell them on to offset the cost.  It may be true.  May not.  So long as it's still safe and I get through just as fast or faster than before then I don't care.

1 hour ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

We’ve come a long way from this time last year when everyone had to empty their pockets and put their items in the bins and all bags having to be taken off and inspected. I think it was last Winterfest, Kings Island must have upgraded the metal detectors or something because guests were allowed to keep their phones and other items in their pockets without having to place them in bins. Now bags don’t even need to be checked with these new metal detectors, creating a seamless process. While COVID-19 has mostly had a negative effect, it has at least pushed innovation in the coaster industry.

Notice how on busy Saturdays, Haunt nights, big BAF days like Father's Day, etc you always had to take stuff out of your pockets?  Had nothing to do with upgrades.  The detectors were turned up or down depending on the "threat level."  Winterfest doesn't really draw the rough crowd.  This is not unique to KI or the amusement industry.

See also, the last year of the Paramount metal detectors where there.  2007 or so.  One security guard manning like 5 portals.  They never beeped.  I doubt they were ever on... all of a sudden they were lit up for Haunt.  

4 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Or save on labor, which I'm sure the company is trying to sell them on to offset the cost.  It may be true.  May not.  So long as it's still safe and I get through just as fast or faster than before then I don't care.

Notice how on busy Saturdays, Haunt nights, big BAF days like Father's Day, etc you always had to take stuff out of your pockets?  Had nothing to do with upgrades.  The detectors were turned up or down depending on the "threat level."  Winterfest doesn't really draw the rough crowd.  This is not unique to KI or the amusement industry.

See also, the last year of the Paramount metal detectors where there.  2007 or so.  One security guard manning like 5 portals.  They never beeped.  I doubt they were ever on... all of a sudden they were lit up for Haunt.  

Does this mean that the security really isn’t that great right now especially on some of these very crowded fall days?

2 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Does this mean that the security really isn’t that great right now especially on some of these very crowded fall days?

No, I think they know what they're doing.  Crowded Fall days with a family event do not draw the same crowd as a midnight close in July.  If you had a weapon they'd find it.  But you're not getting in with a nail clipper on a Haunt night.

• Like 1

I have had days before all this Covid madness as well where I did not have to empty my pockets. I've had days where the metal on my belt or a strip on a credit card sets it off. Most of the time that does not happen. I've had some days at some parks where I'm instructed to hold the items in my pockets in my hands high in the air. Had the security guard at Kennywood last fall insist I take my belt off. The metal in my glasses or my metal zippers on jackets and pants never seem to set them off. The inconsistency is what I do not understand.