Six flags removing 15 rides throughout the chain this year

"We are eliminating 15 underperforming rides this year, reducing maintenance costs, and freeing up significant capex resources." Which rides do you think will go? Will Cedar Fair also remove a large number of rides this year.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2020/10/28/six-flags-entertainment-corp-six-q3-2020-earnings/

• Sad 2

Alright playing ride deadpool:

SFA: Batwing (scrapped), along with... Penguin River? Whatever is that water ride next to Superman.

SFGADV: Top Spin (scrapped)

SFGAM: V2 (possibly refurbished or relocated)

SFMM: Tidal Wave (scrapped), Scream (refurb/relocated)

SFFT: Pandemonium (relocated)

SFNE: Goliath OR Flashback (probably scrapped)

SFSTL: Xcalibur (scrapped)

SFDL: Mind Eraser: rumor has it, it needs new trains after this year, might as well relocate and replace with something better.

TGE: Alpine Bobsled (scrapped)

SFOT: La Vibora (scrapped)

LR: Minirail (scrapped or refurbished, I'm really not sure about some of these) 

These are just some guesses.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, rhyano said:

SFA: Batwing (scrapped), along with... Penguin River? Whatever is that water ride next to Superman.

SFDL: Mind Eraser: rumor has it, it needs new trains after this year, might as well relocate and replace with something better.

Interesting choices! I know these are just guesses, but I would love for KI to get Great America's V2 or Scream from Magic Mountain. Also, that would be unfortunate if Great Adventure's Top Spin (Twister) got the axe as I think it's one of the few that are still around (In fact, until a few days ago, I thought it had already been removed from the park).  On the flip side, I could see Flashback or Goliath getting removed at Six Flags New England; why have two boomerangs?

4 hours ago, Sixflags82 said:

I definitely see Batwing being removed which stinks because it is the last non-prototype flying dutchman left 

...and the only one (of the 3 original Flying Dutchmans) still in its original location!

From pictures it looks like it's out in the middle of nowhere (as in, removed from the rest of the park) like Firehawk was.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Benjamin22 said:

Yeah I’d be really upset if Viper gets removed. It’s a bucket list coaster for me.

Viper just got an entire new controls system, I can't see them pouring all this money into the ride, and then decide they don't want it anymore, I also just found Xcalibur at SFSTL just went through a huge refurbishment to improve on it's downtime, so I can't see that ride being touched, at least for a few years.

2 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Batwing is a given I think. I've personally wanted cream removed/relocated for a while. Its in an awkward part of the park and I heard it gets low ridership. 

Are you talking about Scream at Magical Mountain?  It's a parking lot coaster, not far from Twisted Colossus.  It's similiar to Dominator--If SIX decided to sell it off, I'd love to see it at KK or KI! ;)

• Like 2

The world's tallest coaster is a parking lot coaster....

I don't see Scream leaving SFMM anytime soon.  

I'll add one to the deadpool list- Flash: Vertical Velocity (the hacked Impulse because they didn't pay attention to the height restrictions) at SFDK. 

I want to also add Superman Escape From Krypton as being extremely endangered, I can see them leaving it SBNO for a bit while they figure out what to do with it, I know this... monstrosity is from a real Six Flags survey back around 2017-2018 for Magic Mountain. 

3 hours ago, silver2005 said:

I'll add one to the deadpool list- Flash: Vertical Velocity (the hacked Impulse because they didn't pay attention to the height restrictions) at SFDK. 

On one hand I can see them removing is because its compact and on the small side but thats also why I'd think they'd want to keep it. 

On 10/28/2020 at 9:37 PM, rhyano said:

It would be a crying shame if Xcalibur/Imperator gets removed.  It is one of the only models in the world.    It's such a spectacular ride.   

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Would be ashame for this ride to be removed.  Although, not exactly surprising. if they do end up removing it.  I mean how many years has it been since KI removed theirs?  I wonder if the sky buckets at Six Flags Great Adventure will follow suit?  Do any other Six Flags parks have the Von Roll sky rides?

16 hours ago, DiamondbackFan said:

Six Flags Over Georgia: Sky Buckets are closed and all signage removed.

15 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

Would be ashame for this ride to be removed.  Although, not exactly surprising. if they do end up removing it.  I mean how many years has it been since KI removed theirs?  I wonder if the sky buckets at Six Flags Great Adventure will follow suit?  Do any other Six Flags parks have the Von Roll sky rides?

Six Flags Over Georgia removing their sky ride would be a huge bummer. I'm not too surprised though - I visited the park in summer 2019 and was surprised to see how inefficient its operations were... there were so few buckets, it seemed to be running at maybe 10% a regular sky ride's capacity. I wish I rode it, but the crowds were absurd that day.

To answer @CoastersRZ question, only Six Flags Over Georgia and Six Flags Great Adventure still have their Von Roll sky rides. 

Outside the aforementioned Six Flags ones, I believe that the only other Von Roll sky rides still operating in the country are (in alphabetical order) Busch Gardens Tampa, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, California's Great America, Cedar Point, Minnesota State Fair, San Diego Zoo, SeaWorld San Diego, Tulsa State Fairgrounds, and Washington State Fair.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just to update this thread, perhaps we can add this one to the list:

Also, just out of curiosity, has there been a "big" announcement of all the rides that will be removed from the SIX parks, or are they all piecemeal announcements concerning which ride(s) are being removed at each individual park?

4 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Contradicting to this thread, I wanted to point out that there are 6 parks in the chain that have yet to receive a 4D freespin. Imagine being St. Louis fans waiting for years for their new coaster only to know it'll most likely be a 4d freespin.

8 parks without a 4D Freespin, but La Ronde is getting a Zacspin.  Magic Mountain, Frontier City, La Ronde, Great Escape, Darien Lake, America, St. Louis, Over Georgia.  

27 minutes ago, DiamondbackFan said:

8 parks without a 4D Freespin, but La Ronde is getting a Zacspin.  Magic Mountain, Frontier City, La Ronde, Great Escape, Darien Lake, America, St. Louis, Over Georgia.  

I purposfully didn't include La Ronde since they have a coaster of a similar design. I doubt Magic Mountain will ever get a 4d coaster after Green Lantern's failure.

• Like 1