KI: Invertigo (S), Congo Falls (S)

CAN: Flight Deck (S/R), Time Warp (S/R)

CAR: Nighthawk (S), Vortex (F)

CGA: Sky Tower (F), Grizzly (F)

KD: Anaconda (S)

The list goes on, but I’m curious on what the community thinks

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hey I'm just going on the ones at Kings Island and Cedar Point. What I believe the future is for both parks - 

Kings Island

The Bat (S) - once it reaches the end of service life it's gone! It's only 6 years younger than Vortex so I'm guessing it's got 4-5 years more max...

Invertigo (S/R) - it's a cool ride and I would assume they can refurbish it still but I could definitely see it get moved since KI already has Banshee now.

Congo Falls (S) - eventually whenever Invertigo goes, this one will too and we'll get a coaster in the front of park to replace both rides. 

Cedar Point

Iron Dragon (F/S) Ok so first of all you can't relocate this ride. I was built for the spot it's in. Idk if it's been refurbished but if not it's going to need it soon I think and that'll be an interesting call CP has to make... hopefully they keep because this ride is actually still pretty popular. Always has 20min wait on slow days and longer on busy days...

Magnum XL 200 (F) This is about the only option here. This ride put them on the map and it's an ACE Rollercoaster Landmark. It's not going anywhere. 

Rougarou (S/R) so I personally always liked Mantis more because to me personally, it was more unique when you stood... maybe relocating would work but I think after a few years this one's getting scrapped. It's like Firehawk at KI temporary fix to the problem. 

Now based on what I know, I think most of the Arrow Dynamics coasters at all Cedar Fair parks are in trouble. Cedar Fair has about purged stand up coasters from their line up. As far as I know the last one is Vortex at Carowinds... While Arrow Loopers are rough and costly to maintain, they are just really cool rides and it'll be sad when they all disappear but I'm afraid that's what is going to happen. Corkscrew at CP is safe because it's small (less maintenance) and iconic to the park. Kings Island already lost Vortex after 33 years. I think the other Arrow Loopers are in trouble...the could very well remove all but Corkscrew at CP. Perhaps Carolina Cyclone is safe because I think they just did some work on that one. I know they reused the KI Vortex trains on it. 

Just a note: The best Arrow Looper is Tennessee Tornado at Dollywood and it's also the one most recently built and I do hope they Refurbish that ride as it's such a great coaster! 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/26/2021 at 11:52 PM, johnjniehaus said:

The Bat (S) - once it reaches the end of service life it's gone! It's only 6 years younger than Vortex so I'm guessing it's got 4-5 years more max...

I keep seeing this sentiment, but I don't understand it at all. The Bat may be an Arrow product, but it's nowhere near as intense as Vortex. There are plenty of Arrows that are much older than Vortex that are still holding their own. What ultimately killed Vortex was how good it was.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

I keep seeing this sentiment, but I don't understand it at all. The Bat may be an Arrow product, but it's nowhere near as intense as Vortex. There are plenty of Arrows that are much older than Vortex that are still holding their own. What ultimately killed Vortex was how good it was.

True. They’ve retracked a section of the ride heading into the far helix. They’re taking intricate care of the ride.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/26/2021 at 11:52 PM, johnjniehaus said:

Hey I'm just going on the ones at Kings Island and Cedar Point. What I believe the future is for both parks - 

Kings Island

Cedar Point

Rougarou (S/R) so I personally always liked Mantis more because to me personally, it was more unique when you stood... maybe relocating would work but I think after a few years this one's getting scrapped. It's like Firehawk at KI temporary fix to the problem. 

I wonder if that means Iron dragon will bite the dust first then. I would hate to see The Bat go. It's a great coaster!

As far as Rougarou goes, I hope that goes to another Cedar Fair park like Michigan Adventure's instead of the scrap yard. I might be the only one on here, but I'm a fan of Rougarou!

• Like 3

When it comes to the Arrow coasters, I don't think you can compare Bat/Iron Dragon with Vortex. I think we need to look at the facts (with physics!) While there are many examples of OLD Arrow coasters still around, some of the rides built within the last 40 years have met the end of their service life. The huge Arrow mega loopers (Vortex, GASM, etc...) were forceful rides that reused Arrow's off the shelf components, originally designed for the smaller coasters. In theory, the increase in forces over the superstructure can logarithmically impact the life of the ride. I'd like to think of it like dogs. The largest breeds tend to not live as long as smaller breeds due to additional wear and tear on the body throughout the duration of the dog's lifetime, especially given all domestic dogs have a common ancestor. If you look at rides like Iron Dragon and The Bat, they utilize a completely different style of track, with better transitions, and cars that swing out further reducing the forces (a lesson learned from the original Bat). Also, look at Tennessee Tornado. I expect that ride will be around for a while as it heavily modified Arrow's original track design.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Other than the possibility of parts being scarce due to it being a rare model, I don't see how all these Invertigo removal rumors have any traction.   Lack of capacity on its own isn't enough for me to see it going.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KIEagle33 said:

Swan Lake V2. 

Diamondback may have looked different had it been built just a couple years later. Had management known the Crypt was not salvageable, they could have put the station and brake run on that site, (assuming the lack of a splashdown was not a dealbreaker). Diamondback is an anomaly in that it's not built entirely outside of the midway.

OR

Had they known that Son of Beast was also getting the ax, they may have put Diamondback on the Son of Beast site/future site of Banshee. Banshee or Mystic Timbers could then utilize the former Crypt site, today's Diamondback site (not including Swan Lake), and today's Mystic Timbers site.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, silver2005 said:

Other than the possibility of parts being scarce due to it being a rare model, I don't see how all these Invertigo removal rumors have any traction.   Lack of capacity on its own isn't enough for me to see it going.  

For me personally, it’s the restraints. Much like riding Vortex, the OTSRs on Invertigo can be overbearing with the head banging (at least from what I experience when riding.) 

If it somehow had vest restraints I would ride it more.

• Like 2