Kennywood Removing Four Rides

Sad news out of Pittsburgh today - Kennywood is retiring the following four ride:

• Bayern Kurve (Schwarzkopf Bayern Kurve)
  • Kangaroo (Bartlett Flying Coaster)
  • Paratrooper (Hrubetz Paratrooper)
  • Volcano (HUSS Enterprise)

Details: https://www.instagram.com/p/CHI7m1SF9Y6/?igshid=1i0qg7ixpkg0p

Especially sad considering Bayern Kurve was one of only two of its kind in the country (albeit Knoebels appears to possibly be opening one next season) and Kangaroo was the last of its kind.

Edit - @TombRaiderFTW beat me to the punch - 

• Sad 2

Sad to see the Kangaroo and Bayern Kurve leave that park.  My wife and I had so much fun on the Kangaroo when we visited.  Also, I thoroughly enjoy the Bayern Kurve.  I wonder if these will be replaced in the next few seasons with something new.  I am sure parts availability/maintenance costs played a big factor in these rides being removed.

1 minute ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I wonder if we are going to start hearing news of more rides being retired. Maybe even at CF parks. I have a feeling that due to money lost and stuff, we are going to start seeing more rides that cost too much to maintain be removed. 

Unfortunately, I definitely think that this will be the case. Six Flags already announced that they're removing 15 rides across the chain, Disney has permanently shuttered some of their attractions, and now Kennywood announced this... I expect that the next few years in the theme park industry will be grim.

That area of Kennywood is actually one of the most pleasant with its 'grove like" feel and carousel.  I hope they keep it that way.

Sad to see some older, traditional rides bite the dust.  The good news is that they updated "The Old Mill" this season.

The Kangaroo is a tough loss...

• Like 3

I've said it before but Cedar Fair should take a serious look at purchasing Kennywood.  I realize we are in a pandemic but Parques doesn't seem to know what to do with the park.

From an operational standpoint, CF would improve things drastically.  In a lot of ways Kennywood is essentially the Dorney of Western PA.  Leveraging Phantom's Revenge, maintaining the woodies and flats, and improving guest and food service would be priorities.  With KI, CP, DP, and KD not being horrible drives away from it, it could improve Platinum Pass sales in that region.

• Like 1