Jump to content

Possible KI Winterfest?


Recommended Posts

As folks know, Kings Island has officially stated there will be no Winterfest 2020. There are rumors circling that there may be a limited KD event and we know that Carowinds has officially posted theirs. 
Today, whether for doing it for the community or for a possible future limited event; Kings Island has started to pull the lights for Christmas tree on the Eiffel Tower. 
 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHQLnfVB2N0/?igshid=yt4kar7o1uqb

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it makes too much sense. If Ohio has been so pleased with how Cedar Fair handled the crowds and pandemic rules, as has been said, and the chain is planning to do a modified version at KD and Carowinds, why not also Kings Island? Hope very much it comes together. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think that if they were only going to light the tower (which would be nice....)- they would have made that announcement because something like this would take on a life of its own....  Maybe a "hey, because 2020 has sucked for us all- even though we won't be open, we're doing this..."

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the first season I've missed since '03, and I'm really sad that there's no Winterfest.  If they light up the Tower, I may make the three hour round trip just to drive by and see it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If they do a taste of the season, I hope they have some weeknights between Christmas and New Years Eve (I work weekends.)  If they are not doing  a tasting event, It is really nice to go to the effort of giving locals the Christmas tree.  Of course, there is a loyalty reason but still a great gift.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Waltny said:

There are now stars on the observation deck. 
 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHQ1eSOBOwt/?igshid=y6vqp1tcjlok

Was in Mason earlier when I saw the original post and drive past park on way home.  Drove past and thought... "Hoax."  Then noticed the hooks (for the star)... and then noticed that the lights going down really get lost in the sunlight.  Hoping the lights on the star are finally bright enough to see outside the parking lot.

Probably not an indication of a winter event, though it would be a pleasant surprise.  They did clear the Fall stuff out FAST though.  They still had Christmas things up/out in March earlier this year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Waltny said:

Can I quote you with a real name as a source?

https://www.fox19.com/2020/08/04/kings-island-cancels-halloween-haunt-winterfest/

“We have had to make the difficult decision to cancel both Halloween Haunt and WinterFest this year due to operating constraints in our region,” Kings Island Vice President and General Manager Mike Koontz said in the release.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

https://www.fox19.com/2020/08/04/kings-island-cancels-halloween-haunt-winterfest/

“We have had to make the difficult decision to cancel both Halloween Haunt and WinterFest this year due to operating constraints in our region,” Kings Island Vice President and General Manager Mike Koontz said in the release.

Correct, however there is no mention of “Taste of the Season,” which would not be Winterfest. Remember that they announced that Carowinds wouldn’t open for the year, but here we are. 
 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very skeptical of anyone that would tell me that they aren’t just decorating the tower and it’s a little late in the game to announce another event, but hey - we can dream!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Outdoor Man said:

Was in Mason earlier when I saw the original post and drive past park on way home.  Drove past and thought... "Hoax."  Then noticed the hooks (for the star)... and then noticed that the lights going down really get lost in the sunlight.  Hoping the lights on the star are finally bright enough to see outside the parking lot.

Probably not an indication of a winter event, though it would be a pleasant surprise.  They did clear the Fall stuff out FAST though.  They still had Christmas things up/out in March earlier this year.

When I went back later in the day, I though the same thing. As I mentioned on IG, I though I had jumped the gun and pulled a (insert coaster page that loves clickbait) and asked myself how I could be so stupid. Then I noticed the pulleys were still up, which are the hooks for the stars. 
As I’ve maintained, it’s an interesting development that gives hope. 

17 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

https://www.fox19.com/2020/08/04/kings-island-cancels-halloween-haunt-winterfest/

“We have had to make the difficult decision to cancel both Halloween Haunt and WinterFest this year due to operating constraints in our region,” Kings Island Vice President and General Manager Mike Koontz said in the release.

Familiar with the release and they said the same of Carowinds. The ONLY thing that gives me any hope in all of this that KI seems to have an easier time hiring locals than the other parks for some reason. It makes me think we may get a one off or two with minimal rides and geared toward the tasting event with shopping. 

4 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Correct, however there is no mention of “Taste of the Season,” which would not be Winterfest. Remember that they announced that Carowinds wouldn’t open for the year, but here we are. 
 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very skeptical of anyone that would tell me that they aren’t just decorating the tower and it’s a little late in the game to announce another event, but hey - we can dream!

Agreed. It may just be the tower and it may be a little more, I don’t claim to be an insider in the know of things so outside of the pictures I have suggested to others to form their own opinions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the park does open, I suspect it will be almost only be lights, crafts, minimal shows, maybe flat rides but no coasters, and will not be called Winterfest.  Since it’s what the other parks are calling it likely Taste of the season.  No regular food stands so that they do not have to provide anything to holders of the meal plan, but specially foods with a tasting card would likely be available.  That’s all just a guess, but Carowinds will have a few coasters open, and food stands and the parks FAQ says the meal plan will work, so it’s always possible there will be more.  
 

Having said all of that the park posted a video a few days ago and Mike Koontz states the gates closed for the final time in 2020, and the video ends with see you in 2021.  Putting the lights on the tower just as decorating and leaving the park closed would not surprise me.  We will likely know this week if it’s opening but I doubt it, there should be signs of the park hiring and I checked the parks job site and there was nothing seasonal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RedSummit20 said:

common sense?

Lol.
 

Nothing is a certainty in today’s day and age and while I would strongly agree we won’t get Winterfest,  a one off event or two DOES make sense. I say that knowing full well I could and probably am wrong... and if so, it is what it is. 
 

 

More strands are going up on the tower and it looks like 3 or 4 people manning the upper portion on the observation deck. 
 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHYDcTFhtIm/?igshid=1jo16ocw3rx1r

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just my 2 cents here, but I feel that if we were going to get a special event, then we wouldn't have gotten the video message at the end of the season.  I would have been much more likely to hope for something like what Carowinds is doing had that message not been distributed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

^Agreed. It's cool they are looking to bring some holiday cheer for people driving by.  

On a related note, how many of you have neighbors with their Christmas lights up and on already? I feel behind in my efforts...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Maddog said:

^Agreed. It's cool they are looking to bring some holiday cheer for people driving by.  

On a related note, how many of you have neighbors with their Christmas lights up and on already? I feel behind in my efforts...

Our tree is already up (not yet decorated, but up). Yeah, some of us do Christmas early around here... lol

Also, while working one day (I work from home), I saw a neighbor across the street that was putting some of the lights on his roof already (this was probably about a week or so ago).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kings Dominion just announced their Taste of the Season today, Nov 10.    It’s running the month of December and appears it will be a smaller event than Carowinds based on the mentioned rides.  
 

Both kings dominion and Carowinds are under state capacity limitations.    Kings Island has a higher allowed capacity so it’s surprising they did not do something

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Outdoor Man said:

again, Kings Island could do it and be a money maker.

 

It could be possible that these aren’t money makers as much to drive season pass sales At these parks that were not opened at all.  KI and CP were open enough to satisfy season pass holders.      If an event is just bringing the same passholders back it may not be profitable.     But I do wish Kings Island would have done something because it’s my favorite time of year there

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, with the fall event, the park was selling the tasting cards for the specialty food, which was enticing pass holders who may have the dining plan, to fork over additional money that they otherwise would not have spent.  If Kings Island did something similar, I could see it making money even with limited rides.

They are likely using the different names to differentiate these events from the normal Winterfest, so that guests know not to expect an event similar to previous years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

Well, with the fall event, the park was selling the tasting cards for the specialty food, which was enticing pass holders who may have the dining plan, to fork over additional money that they otherwise would not have spent.  If Kings Island did something similar, I could see it making money even with limited rides.

They are likely using the different names to differentiate these events from the normal Winterfest, so that guests know not to expect an event similar to previous years.

I agree; though I'm not sure why they keep making a point to make the distinction.  I would think that as 2020 goes.... everything has been under a different set of rules.  Only if someone has been on the moon with their head deep in moon rock facing the other direction would anyone not know this...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I very very HIGHLY doubt they will reopen for Winterfest. 

It is far too late to setup, train, and get everything set for an event in two weeks. I dont work there anymore but I know what the logistics it would take, and there would be a lot more things happening than the Effiel Tower being decorated. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...