KI New Ride

Quinn Hutchinson

2 hours ago, Quinn Hutchinson said:

Hi Yall...

I think that there is a new ride coming to Kings Island 1n 2022

IT WILL BE A DIVE COASTER

I'd wager a Blue Ice Cream that there isn't.

KI has a lot to offer, and I could see it being a few years before they add something that costly to the lineup. This year hasn't exactly been a great one from a profit standpoint, and I did recall hearing something about them just getting a fairly pricey coaster recently... I think if they do get a dive, it'd be a bit farther out than 2022...

• Like 3

2022 I expect to be more of a focus on the 50th anniversary of the park. I say if they do add a new ride, it'll be a throwback to an older ride like what CP is doing for their 150th anniversary by bringing back the boat ride. People have tossed around the idea of them retheming Boo Blasters into a new version of Phantom Theater a bunch recently. I could see something along those lines. Or my biggest idea that is pretty unlikely is to bring back the skyride maybe have it in Coney Mall and have it start near Hanks/Racer's entrance and have it end where The Vortex station was (or near it). I also think we can expect a large celebration event based on the milestone and them taking a year off from Grand Carnivale just for the anniversary (then bring back Carnivale for 2023). In conclusion I think 2022 will be a year of celebration than a new attraction. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

With 2020 being what it is, and 2021 perhaps being another slow year for the industry, I'd be shocked if KI got a major installation prior to 2023, and more likely 2024 or 25.  I assume everything is backed up across the company at best, so things that were originally planned for 2021 elsewhere won't open until 2022, 2022 pushed back to 2023 and on down the line.  At that assumes next year approaches something "normal" which is far from a guarantee at this point.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

Well I know this sounds weird and not throwback but why not add a coaster that is a homage to SOB? RMC hyper hybrid anyone? Maybe even a gravity group? RMC’s aren’t very expensive anyways

I think an RMC ground up would be the best fit for the next coaster not just because it would be a perfect fit to the park, but because it doesn't cost as much as a B&M or Mack. However, I highly doubt we'll see a theme pay homage to Son of Beast or see the Son of Beast name reused again. I honestly expect these next few coaster additions in the CF chain to be fairly cheap additions. 

• Like 3

Based on comments made during the Q3 2020 earnings call,  2022 seems too soon for a major attraction.  Something smaller and cheaper would make more sense.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2020/11/04/cedar-fair-fun-q3-2020-earnings-call-transcript/

Through the first nine months of the year, we've spent approximately $120 million on capital expenditures with the expectation of investing minimal capital during the fourth quarter. For the full year, we are projecting capital investments of $120 million to $125 million reflecting a savings of approximately $60 million to $65 million from our original 2020 capex budget. At this point, we remain current on all payables for all active capital projects, and we have no material long-term commitments for new attractions, providing us maximum flexibility to tailor our 2021 and 2022 capital programs based on the speed of the recovery and our on the ground liquidity. With nearly half of our parks unable to open this year, many new rides and attractions originally planned for 2020 have yet to be introduced to our guests, meaning our capital investments for the 2021 season will be a fraction of what we've invested in previous years, and we'll be focused on completing projects already in process that are critical to reopening next year plus any necessary compliance or infrastructure work.

Because of uncertainty around the recovery and the flexibility we've built into our capital planning process, we are not going to commit to or provide specific guidance on calendar year 2021 capital expenditures at this time. Once business conditions normalize, we will be in better position to frame up what our capital programs for the 2021 and 2022 seasons will entail. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think it will be several seasons before we get a new coaster because of COVID and also because of the chain in general.  Since we just got a coaster this year, one would think that the other parks will get another coaster before we will.  I could see Cedar Point and Carowinds both getting a new coaster in 2022 or 2023,  KD is highly rumored to be putting in in their S&S Wing which if it is successful I could see them putting it at some of the smaller parks in the chain like MA and VF.

I think over the next 4-5 years the park can focus on improving the Oktoberfest and Action Zone areas with more thrilling flats and more family flats and then eventually adding a big coaster to either The Vortex plot or somewhere in the Action Zone area.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Not sure but it looked like steel coaster support on a flatbed over by the employee entrance today.  It was a medium gray and approximately 20 feet long.  This was at 4:15 PM.  Could not take a picture as I was  driving.

• Like 2

I will allow that it might have been unrelated to a coaster.  Again, I was at the intersection of Western Row and Kings Island Drive and was headed east.  So, I really didn't have the time to really look at it.  For all I know, it was a piece to a wireless tower.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Skibum said:

Not sure but it looked like steel coaster support on a flatbed over by the employee entrance today.  It was a medium gray and approximately 20 feet long.  This was at 4:15 PM.  Could not take a picture as I was  driving.

Nice catch, but since it was gray, my guess is that it probably won’t be for a new coaster. I guess it could be for a new water slide, but it is probably for utility work whatever that may be. Also, for major capital projects like water slides and rollercoasters, pieces like supports usually don’t arrive onsite until after the attractions have been announced.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 10:18 PM, super7 said:

The company runs out of cash in six months. And they don’t have much income in cash in the meantime. There’s not going to be a lot of major ride investments for several years probably

Having cash has no effect. You might want to research how businesses run. Most large investments are financed.   

^When the notes come due, you have to have cash to pay.  If I didn't have cash to pay my financed mortgage, after a few months I would not have a house.  In a like manner, the same happen with businesses.  

Cedar Fair had long term debt obligations (financed) that  were managed well via sweeps and pay down pre pandemic.  During the pandemic, the company took out high interest loans to cover basic expenses.  The minimized cash burn as much as they could.  

Now, they are looking to optimize revenue.  However, one of the largest expenses (labor) has doubled, with operating days and hours cut severely across the company.  They have pushed out lots of food and merchandise offering, most are affordably priced--pins, shirts--and some premium--posters--in an effort to bring in cash to in turn pay wages and debt.

Now is the time to spend money in the park.  Open up those wallets, people!  You get some cool stuff and the company gets some relief.  Not to mention that the Blue Ice Cream Beer is good, as is the dip in the Brewhouse among other things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

^When the notes come due, you have to have cash to pay.  If I didn't have cash to pay my financed mortgage, after a few months I would not have a house.  In a like manner, the same happen with businesses.  

Cedar Fair had long term debt obligations (financed) that  were managed well via sweeps and pay down pre pandemic.  During the pandemic, the company took out high interest loans to cover basic expenses.  The minimized cash burn as much as they could.  

Now, they are looking to optimize revenue.  However, one of the largest expenses (labor) has doubled, with operating days and hours cut severely across the company.  They have pushed out lots of food and merchandise offering, most are affordably priced--pins, shirts--and some premium--posters--in an effort to bring in cash to in turn pay wages and debt.

Now is the time to spend money in the park.  Open up those wallets, people!  You get some cool stuff and the company gets some relief.  Not to mention that the Blue Ice Cream Beer is good, as is the dip in the Brewhouse among other things.

This is a great summation of the entire situation. Pretty spot on, but here’s where I think there are a few issues. 

As a season pass holder, why would I want to open my wallet when: 

1. There are numerous security and saftey issues. 

2. When the quality of a number of the aforementioned products are inconsistent (food, etc.). 

3. A significant reduction in hours and (potential) special events. 

4. Lack of direct communication in regards to changes to their customer base. 

I understand that it’s a difficult situation to be in, but I find it hard to believe that the demand and popularity of the park was underestimated given the circumstance of the last year. I’m not trying to be negative, but I also don’t want to have the wool pulled over my eyes, so to speak. I feel like my money is better spent elsewhere given the current situation. Especially given that other parks are doing more, not less.

• Like 2

As a season pass holder, I have the luxury of visiting whenever I can during the season.  I work weekends, so that is out.  For me that works out well because the Fight Club seems to happen on the weekends.  I don't know your situation, but if you are a current pass holder, I might suggest visiting during the week when Fight Club is not in session.  That would address your point #2...less crows=less waits.

#3--if the labor situation could be solved, that would solve this.

#4--agreed.

Finally, we agree on many things in your last paragraph.  I look at the current situation and set my expectations very low.  For example, last Wednesday the forecast called for 80-90% chance of rain/storms until 7pm.  I had planned to meet a friend there from northern Ohio.  I was very tempted to cancel my 2.5 hour drive there when my alarm went off, but to see a friend  was worth the drive.  If the park closed early or stayed open with rain, we made alternate plans.  Of course, the rain stayed away for the most part and it was one of the best days I have ever had at the park.  For pass preview weekend (I did get that weekend off work), I knew it would be crowded.  So I set my expectations appropriately and still had a good day, albiet with long lines.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

It wouldn't be a work trip since Mystic Timbers is long completed. ;)

I wouldn’t look to much into it. He designed Mystic Timbers and appeared to be there with his family. I really don’t think it means anything.

• Like 4

On 7/8/2021 at 6:25 AM, NightlyBeast said:

What would I love to see next? A built from the ground up RMC "return of the son" of beast where Vortex used to stand.

Sadly I don't know that the plot is big enough for a true SOB ground up return. I would need to be a hyper hybrid to make that return truly real and I just don't see it in that layout unless we get a super twister layout.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 11:10 AM, BeeastFarmer said:

BeeastFarmer, I'm sure you're well-intended and this is more of a general statement, but I shake my head when I see people on here urging others to support the park like it was their family's small business.

IF KIC'ers want to spend more money at the park and believe it's worth it go ahead, but KI is not a charity.

To KIC'ers as a whole, please don't hinder yourself trying to boost a publicly traded company. The CF shareholders are big boys/girls who know the risks involved in investing. If you were ever cash-strapped as they are now, they sure wouldn't come to save you so don't ever think in that way. Cedar Fair is huge. Even if you were to sell your house and donate the proceeds to CF, that is a drop in the bucket for them.

Your passes/tickets may have helped pay for a groundcrew's wages for a day, paint for a queue rail, or it may have gone into the shareholders' pockets. For these reasons it's not productive to say "spend more money so we can get more improvements and rides"; I see that sentiment (from others) sometimes too. If they're doing things right, people will do that on their own.

Be a customer, be a fan, but it's not wise to ever think you owe or should give them anything monetarily. They're a business; you're a customer.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone. I know it’s been a long long time since I’ve been on the site. 

Anyways. My thoughts on a new attraction. And the budget of the parks and what they could do to boost profits to help make up there lost revenue 

no, I don’t see anything huge within the future. I could however see a few small improvements being made. Like track work on Racer and The Beast. Maybe even a few paint touch ups on Some rides and buildings. Maybe give the Eiffel Tower a fresh coat. 

Maybe continuing the lighting package throughout the park. I always thought if they added western lights that flickered through Rivertown that it would add to the charm. Small upgrades that help beautify the park is always a small thing that guests notice. Also I’m not sure if I’m the only one here that has notice this or if it’s just in my head, I remember as a kid that International Street had this very sweet smell to it. If they could figure out how to not make it smell like walking into a LaRosa’s restaurant I’d be impressed. I find that smell off putting  takes away from the charm that International Street use to offer. Also maybe bring back some specialty shops. 

I could see the introduction of a new show being the biggest draw in the near future.  We have to large buildings that collect dust throughout the normal season.  I don’t see how if they converted one into another venue for shows it would cost an awful lot. They could easy transform the venue back into the haunt that operates within the building when summer season ends.

and please. Do something to Boo Blasters. It doesn’t fit in, and last time I rode my gun was broke and it just felt sad. Half the props weren’t working. 

Now here’s where my thoughts for added revenue. One option, they could offer a Show Pass Something that gives preferred seating for all shows and gives guests a bonus of staying after shows for a Q&A with the cast. Might seem silly but by offering a small keepsake like an autograph book that pictures the cast for each show and a line page next to it could be a great up sale promotion for them. It would give guests a way collect signatures from cast members during meet and greets.  They could also offer a photo with one full cast of a guests choosing, which will be printed and slid In a protective plastic sleeve that they could pickup later at the end of there day. I could see families keeping those for years. I still have my old view finders from the nineties that they offered at the old photo stands.  If they show packages like Fast Pass. It could give a small bump in the monies they have lost these past twow years.

Example: Silver-  a few shows, mainly outdoor venues. Gold- offers all shows including the Headliner in Kings Island Theater. 

Another ideal would be to give old merch that they don’t know how to get rid of in stores at the end of the year. Instead of marking it down in price. The park could turn them into mystery boxes. Since they are very popular right now. How cool would it be to be able to purchase a box and inside have 4 random items. Like keychains, mugs, pins, gloves, hats, shot glasses, ext. these would make cool Christmas gift boxes to sell during Winterfest.

As for wages taking out profits. Well sorry to the employees, but this is to you. As a past employee I know the prices in the employee cafe are much much lower then in the main park. I could see them added .50 or more to items you purchase to bring up the money lost to paying your paychecks. I would be shocked if they haven’t already been doing so already.

That’s just my thoughts. I do think the parks will bounce back in due time. But for speculation and fun. I could see us getting a RMC next. When, Idk. But I have a feeling we may see something to pay homage to SOB. There’s one inversion RMC hasn’t tackled. Maybe the park could talk them into placing a loop in it. They could market it as the first hybrid coaster with the world tallest loop or something. I do not see this going back by The Beast though. Also. Idk if you all have noticed this.

random thought, why dose it seem that all the coasters face the same direction with there drops or lifts. Maybe could we get a drop facing north for once. Lol anyways. Hope you all are well. Have a good day. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...