The Racer 2020 Off Season Track Work

Kyle Kruthoffer

Judging by Kings Island’s latest Instagram post explaining that the track removal on The Racer is complete, I don’t think the split hill is getting re-tracked, but the rest of the track from the base of the first drop to the entrance of the turnarounds looks like it is getting re-tracked.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJettBdBhIu/?igshid=1jmcs41h06t13

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Please no. The ride is a coaster icon and I would hate to see it converted

Not that I disagree, but rollercoasters as a historical landmark can be quite taboo outside of the community that enjoys them. Not even the GP know or understand what an ACE landmark is. They see a plaque and think, Oh this must be important. Now ACE landmarks are not voted upon politically, they are the enthusiasts deeming an attraction a landmark or not. 

Much like structures around the world, there has to come a time when their use cannot be of service anymore by a number of reasons. Take a look at Vegas which has seen a HUGE change in it's skyline in the past 50 years. Truly iconic resorts have been blown up to make way for something new. Is it disappointing to see the past go in such a tragic way? Of course. I would hate to see Racer leave in any form. But I have to be open to the idea that sometimes things do change and when they do it is mostly for the better.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

Its hard to tell from that zoomed out picture, but it almost looks like they have reprofiled that hill and lowered it significantly (three or four feet) on the outbound (downhill side). 

I wouldn’t mind if The Racer got reprofiled in places were ride experience would be improved, if anything it should be done. The jackhammering experience on my back while riding The Racer is one of the main reasons I avoid riding it, which is saying a lot considering 3 of my top 5 coasters are woodies. (Beast, Voyage, and Mystic.) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tr0y said:

I wouldn’t mind if The Racer got reprofiled in places were ride experience would be improved, if anything it should be done. The jackhammering experience on my back while riding The Racer is one of the main reasons I avoid riding it, which is saying a lot considering 3 of my top 5 coasters are woodies. (Beast, Voyage, and Mystic.) 

I will marathon the crap out of Mystic Timbers, The Beast, Voyage and Hades 360 but I only ride The Racer a couple times a year. I do not like it and it is rough in all the wrong ways. I really can not explain it very well. I even ride Beast back row over and over. I will give red and blue side another try as I always do every year to see if it is better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

Racer does not have any airtime.

TBH I have found Racer's airtime- and its smoothness- can vary quite a lot. Sometimes my butt won't leave the seat at all, other times the airtime is stronger and there is more of it than Mystic Timbers has. And sometimes it beats the tar out of me, other times it felt glass smooth. On my rides from 2009-2018, riding Racer was a gamble- probably the least consistent coaster I have ever been on so far. One day in 2018 I rode it 5 times because a friend who was with us kept wanting re-rides and each time was different, one ride was absolutely horrible and then it would turn around and be good on another (luckily the good rides outdid the bad 3-2). The Blue Racer track work it got in 2019 made that side clearly superior, though I was not able to visit Kings Island in 2020 to ride Red Racer when it had the same work done. 

I am hopeful this retracking will make the ride smoother more often, as well as give more airtime more often, because Racer at its best is great while at its worst, it can sometimes make me think it is even worse than Invertigo in terms of being the park's worst adult coaster.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone, first-time poster here, and apologies if this was answered somewhere else, but I happened to notice that The Racer has been removed from the Roller Coasters section on Kings Island's website - is this temporary until the re-tracking is complete? It should be open in 2021, correct? Thanks!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, CincyCoasters said:

Hi everyone, first-time poster here, and apologies if this was answered somewhere else, but I happened to notice that The Racer has been removed from the Roller Coasters section on Kings Island's website - is this temporary until the re-tracking is complete? It should be open in 2021, correct? Thanks!

Looks like it is still there, but just not added to the rides page of the new site.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/rides-experiences/the-racer

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...