Kings Dominion taking on Busch Gardens Williamsburg

There are regions that have parks that directly compete with one another- CGA and SFDK in the bay area, SW and SF in San Antonio, and of course KD and BGW in eastern Virginia. 

If Zimmerman gave you the task of "overthrowing" BGW what would you do?

I'll start. Honestly, I would try to get a B&M hyper if there's not a current clause preventing it. Hypers are loved by the GP and praised for their reliability and capacity. I know BGW has the 1st ever hyper by B&M but that debuted in 1999 which was over 20 years ago and is a bit dated in many ways. If KD got something with large floater hills it would be less intense for those who are tired of I-305. Hypers can be found at almost every large park so I don't think it would be a poor business decision to get one. I'm almost confident Virginia enthusiasts would dub it the state's superior hyper. I still wonder where they would be if they got a hyper like the majority of the other Paramount parks got in the late 200s

Another ride I would add that would bring some diversity to the park's lineup would be a water ride replacing Anaconda. This could either be a Mack Powersplash that Airtime Thrills suggested in one of his videos or something that incorporates the lake.

Aside from more mild rides I think focusing on families is the way to go. 

• Like 1

To move KD forward, I agree that they need a B&M hyper.  I'd also like them to get a Chance Hyper GTX  and a GCI.  They need some flats in Old Virginia.  They need a large indoor dining space like Festhaus.  

Ideally, they would get a train back and the the waterpark moved behind Racer 75--this area could return to Lake Charles or a  nice lushly landscape area with some gentle flats.

• Like 4

Kings Dominion seems like it has gotten worse over the Cedar Fair years. One of the only parks I will say that about. I wonder what the attendance number are there. Hopefully they are able to get things turned around at the park. It used to be on one of the top parks I wanted to go to but it has sadly fallen of that list.   I think the trouble really hit with the flop of i305. 

I think they need a hyper coaster and inverted coaster to get the park back on track however Im Not sure that the attendance numbers would support that. 

• Like 1

KD needs work and it needs good solid unique rides.

A B&M hyper would be a great start, but it has to be something special.  For instance a speed hill, maybe right after the drop.  The turnaround from Shambala, instead of the standard hammerhead.  Plus lots of good solid airtime hills.  Two loading stations, which would allow 4 trains and they can use one station for forward and one for backwards trains, enabling the ride to basiclly be two different rides.  To keep the costs down use the standard B&M hyper trains instead of the staggered seating.

3 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Kings Dominion seems like it has gotten worse over the Cedar Fair years. One of the only parks I will say that about. I wonder what the attendance number are there. Hopefully they are able to get things turned around at the park. It used to be on one of the top parks I wanted to go to but it has sadly fallen of that list.   I think the trouble really hit with the flop of i305. 

I think they need a hyper coaster and inverted coaster to get the park back on track however Im Not sure that the attendance numbers would support that. 

Don't put it off your list.  It is a wonderful park as is.  Out of the CF parks I have been to, my opinion is that it is the most beautiful of them all.  It has great rides and a ton of charm--it reminded me of the "old KI" when I went.  

• Like 2

I like I305 and twisted timbers.  I like the park cause everytime I have been there its been dead.  BGW is known as the premier park in Virginia.  BGW is a lot nicer park IMO.  Better food, atmosphere, etc.  It is more expensive to go to BGW.  To make a direct comparison its like CP and Geauga lake when owned by six flags.  The discount chain here is Cedar Fair.....

• Like 2

On 12/8/2020 at 1:51 PM, coaster sally said:

The discount chain here is Cedar Fair.....

From an enthusiast's point of view the discount thing its great for reasons like you mentioned: the park is dead, the rides are more geared to enthusiasts because of intensity, and so on. I, however, don't think being the discount park/chain is something companies should shoot for. I get the idea but I've always been one for quality over quantity. I'd personally rather spend more money if the quality is going to be better. I wish Six Flags didn't see themselves as the discount chain and pushed to be more. In a way calling yourself a discount park/chain is just an excuse to not invest more in your assets. Its not just parks, certain sports owners share this mentality where they do the bare minimum and are satisfied with the profit they make. I think companies in general would make a larger profit if they invested more into their parks. 

I see what you're saying with KD being the discount Virginia park and it is in a lot of respects, but I don't want it to stay that way. They could label themselves as "Virginia's Family park", "Virginia's Fun park" or something along those lines as a way to differentiate themselves. The way I see it, BGW is Virginia's destination park where as KD is Virginia's regional park.

I know people like I-305 but I don't think it was the best decision for the park to get at the time. I'm not arguing that its not a fun ride but I know the gp, who make up the majority of park attendance, prefer rides with less intensity. I think it would've fit in great with a park like Great Adventure or Magic Mountain but for a park like Kings Dominion it was too......commanding.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 12/7/2020 at 7:39 PM, SonofBaconator said:

There are regions that have parks that directly compete with one another- CGA and SFDK in the bay area, SW and SF in San Antonio, and of course KD and BGW in eastern Virginia. 

CGA lost that battle, RIP.