Kings Island Camp Cedar to Open Spring 2021

What a terrible, terrible location for any sort of campground. Behind a McDonalds and a Wendy’s and next to the old Outlet Mall parking lot (that became offices). They say less than a “mile to Kings Island”...sure I guess if the Kings Island parking entrance is your KI destination or the fence outside The Bat. It’s a really long walk across a parking lot from there. 

I’m sure the “cabins” will be nice on the inside but I can’t help but think this was originally going to be an actual trailer park but became a camp ground at the last minute. 

it will still be popular I’m sure because there is a general lack of lodging in the immediate KI area but it’s a hard pass as a “campground” in my opinion. And I LOVE that Wendy’s. 

12 hours ago, DiamondbackFan said:

At first, I thought this guy had some sort of beef with the park because all of his videos and articles begin with "Don't Wa$te Your Money".  It comes across weird.

Haha yes! It’s hard to tell if he likes it or telling people not to go and “waste their money”. I’m sure KI PR is probably not too thrilled hahaha

6 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Should? Yes. Will they? Probably not.

A very big missed opportunity. We like to tent camp and if we do end up tent camping near KI it will be the KOA in Lebanon. Having tent camping sites closer to the park might have brought us over for longer stays. More than likely it will be more just day trips for us.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2020 at 9:17 AM, IndyGuy4KI said:

Yes, here is an areal pic.

Drone Pic.jpg

Not sure if anyone commented on it or not, but it appears 5 of the cabins are already on the street there ready to be placed. I guess that's maybe where John Matarese was able to stand in front of one for his segment. Cool to see.

I'm sure some land movement was required, but it is always disappointing to see projects go with the "scorched earth" method for construction. Even saving a mature tree here and there, saving SOME terrain too, would make a huge difference, especially with it being right along a highway, McDonald's and parking lots. Also, I'm sure there's bigger money in trailer and cabin camping but it's always a bummer to see tent camping ignored.

Nonetheless, I'm very excited to see a KI campground return after all these years. Removing the previous incarnation way-back-when always felt ill-advised and short sighted. It had a nice location and I always felt an upgrade would've been better. But great news to see this, especially with cabins like at CP!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

A very big missed opportunity. We like to tent camp and if we do end up tent camping near KI it will be the KOA in Lebanon. Having tent camping sites closer to the park might have brought us over for longer stays. More than likely it will be more just day trips for us.

I know the campground at CP doesn't allow tents. Maybe they're different because they don't have the space to accommodate.

11 hours ago, LAGuy75 said:

What a terrible, terrible location for any sort of campground. Behind a McDonalds and a Wendy’s and next to the old Outlet Mall parking lot (that became offices). They say less than a “mile to Kings Island”...sure I guess if the Kings Island parking entrance is your KI destination or the fence outside The Bat. It’s a really long walk across a parking lot from there. 

I’m sure the “cabins” will be nice on the inside but I can’t help but think this was originally going to be an actual trailer park but became a camp ground at the last minute. 

it will still be popular I’m sure because there is a general lack of lodging in the immediate KI area but it’s a hard pass as a “campground” in my opinion. And I LOVE that Wendy’s. 

Haha yes! It’s hard to tell if he likes it or telling people not to go and “waste their money”. I’m sure KI PR is probably not too thrilled hahaha

I usually drive about 2 miles down the road and stay at the Best Western when I'm planning on staying more than one day. It is a nice clean older hotel that is usually under a 100 a night.

• Like 2

It was pretty well grown in, prior to them bulldozing all of it.  They installed a second entrance/exit off of Columbia road in the past few weeks as well.

I would love to have one of those spots right next to the McDonald's Truck Parking Lot.  I've heard that is a common overnight stay area for some local lot lizards.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

I don't understand how so many of you are upset over the land clearing of trees but Cedar Fair with their rides have done it for years with their new attractions.

To be fair, I was referencing all CF projects (and really even outside of CF) when I mentioned the "scorched Earth" method above. I don't like to see it here as much as I don't like seeing it whenever a new ride comes. Not upset, but I just feel it could be so much better leaving some mature growth in so many instances. But I know sometimes it would just create more construction hindrance than it's worth.

• Like 1

I don't have an RV or camper trailer, but honestly even being a local, the cottages/cabins/whatever you want to call them look really nice, especially when paired with all the other amenities.

I can see those in particular also being popular when you have, say, a two-day event like Coasterstock. I'm guessing there will also be some kind of shuttle bus service to and from the park.

• Like 5

Those cabins look fantastic, I have wanted the park to get a campground for years, and feel this is long overdue.  I am torn about staying in one, mostly due to distance once you are far enough away that I have to drive why stay in one of the cabins instead of a hotel which is likely cheaper?

I feel like this should have been built by Cedar Fair and it should have been located where the old Safari was located, basically behind Great Wolf Lodge.  Actual woods, I could see a walkway to the river, and not directly next to the highway.  Great view of the park, and it would be possible to walk to the park, which could have built a second entrance.

But then if the park owned Great Wolf Lodge, a campgrounds could be a natural extension of the resort.

I think this is Kings Island's way of saying "sorry" about the pandemic and how hard it's been on a lot of people. So Kings Island decided to say, "Okay, we understand the pandemic has been hard on a lot of people, so here's something for you to look forward to next year. This is our way of making up for anything we had to cancel this year due to the pandemic." It's nice that the park is trying to give us something new for next year. It looks very exciting and I can't wait for it to open next year!

• Confused 1

@Dj325 I'm pretty sure this campground was starting to be planned way before the pandemic. You can see in this link that RV and camper sales have went way up recently. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2020/7/3/us-rv-sales-surge-as-socially-distant-travel-sweeps-nation

People who bought one are going to want to have a place to take it and use it.

1 hour ago, Dj325 said:

I think this is Kings Island's way of saying "sorry" about the pandemic and how hard it's been on a lot of people. So Kings Island decided to say, "Okay, we understand the pandemic has been hard on a lot of people, so here's something for you to look forward to next year. This is our way of making up for anything we had to cancel this year due to the pandemic." It's nice that the park is trying to give us something new for next year. It looks very exciting and I can't wait for it to open next year!

Are they making money off the licensing agreement?  I thought this is owned by another company?

13 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

Are they making money off the licensing agreement?  I thought this is owned by another company?

Yes, they’re operating the property.  It won’t generate as much income as if they owned it but they’ll still probably make a decent amount of money considering they haven’t had to put any money into the project.

Kings Island Camp Cedar Logo.jpg

KICentral had the opportunity to chat with Chad Showalter with Kings Island to answer some of the questions that were raised from KICentral members on the forums. Thanks to Chad for answering these questions for us.

1. Will there be transportation provided from Camp Cedar to Kings Island?
Answer: Yes, there will be transportation provided similar to what Cedar Point provides to their overnight stay guests.

IMG_2863.JPG

2. Will the pool amenities have any charge to use for guests or will it be included with a campground stay?
Answer:  Campground overnight stay guests receive complimentary access to the Camp Cedar pools and amenities. No walk-in guests will be permitted.

3. Will the pool amenities be accessible for guests not staying at the campground?

Answer:  Only guests visiting registered campers. (up to 4 per site, for an additional fee.)

Kings Island Camp Cedar Pool Rendering.jpg

4. Why were no tent camping sites added into the campground?

Answer:  The campground was not designed to offer tent or primitive style camping, but guests without an RV may stay in a cottage.

5. Will Camp Cedar be open in the winter months?

Answer:  Yes, weather permitting.

6. We read that there was a plan to add 100 more cottages in the future. Is there any additional land after that expansion to add additional RV and possible tent camping sites on the property as well in the future?

Answer:  Yes, design plans include the addition of 100 more cottages. Regarding tents, please see the similar response above.

Cottage.jpeg

• Like 2

CF jumping on board with this one seems like the death of my hopes of KI building their own dedicated, wooded campsite down by the Little Miami River. I remember the Yogi Bear Campground so vividly from my childhood and always hoped they'd use some of their expanse of land for something really unique considering no other parks have that kind of property. This parking lot behind a McDonalds next to the highway is the very last kind of place I would want to go, but hopefully it brings in some money for them. 

1 hour ago, BringBackOurEagles said:

CF jumping on board with this one seems like the death of my hopes of KI building their own dedicated, wooded campsite down by the Little Miami River. I remember the Yogi Bear Campground so vividly from my childhood and always hoped they'd use some of their expanse of land for something really unique considering no other parks have that kind of property. This parking lot behind a McDonalds next to the highway is the very last kind of place I would want to go, but hopefully it brings in some money for them. 

I'd urge you to give it some time.  While it does not seem like an ideal location, I'd like to see the product when it opens and as it matures.  If it is anything like the renderings, it will be very nice.  

19 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I'd urge you to give it some time.  While it does not seem like an ideal location, I'd like to see the product when it opens and as it matures.  If it is anything like the renderings, it will be very nice.  

Landscaping done well would make a huge difference to make it feel separate from the outside world (e.g. I-71 and McDonald's/Wendy's).

• Like 2

I agree....although what I have heard on the news that Kings Island is going to allow Kings Island Guests and Passholders (those who have Kings Island Gold Pass like I do and Cedar Fair Platinum Pass) will have special perks from both Kings Island and the new Kings Island Camp Cedar starting effective January 1st, 2021 although we all know that Kings Island isn't ready for opening yet until the new operating calendar comes out but should be available online within the next several weeks or so....  About shuttle service from Kings Island's Camp Cedar to Kings Island---The answer is YES, there will be special non-stop express bus service from the new campground to Kings Island..... They are in the process of doing that though plus everyone who camp at the new Kings Island Camp Cedar will have options of either drive themselves to Kings Island or walk on foot via crosswalk crossing Kings Mills Rd. to Kings Island via Kings Island Drive which is a mile walk (should be no more than 15 minutes if they choose exercise) or take a special campground non-stop express bus to Kings Island Drop Off Plaza where it is shared with Hotels Express buses and Metro's Route 71X and 72X.  

Answer:  The campground was not designed to offer tent or primitive style camping, but guests without an RV may stay in a cottage.

This is an interesting non-specific answer.

My guess is that there are 2 reasons: 

1. Tent camping requires a decent amount of space + restrooms and showers, and the return on investment to maintain those is not that great considering the lower price point of tent stays.

2. Tent camping can bring in more noise and drama that don't mix well with the resort environment they are going for.

I've tent and hammock camped all over the US, and am disappointed that camp Cedar won't have tent sites, but I understand the decision.  There are nice tent camping options just up the river.  

Repeating that these reasons are simply my guesses.  There may be others, including county health codes hurdles and such.  My church opened a huge primitive private campground east of Cincy a few years ago, and deals with lots of county health restrictions that I would not have thought of. 

I love the idea of tenting in the woods between the river and The Beast.  Here comes your 6AM wake up call!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Buckeye Brad said:

This is an interesting non-specific answer.

My guess is that there are 2 reasons: 

1. Tent camping requires a decent amount of space + restrooms and showers, and the return on investment to maintain those is not that great considering the lower price point of tent stays.

2. Tent camping can bring in more noise and drama that don't mix well with the resort environment they are going for.

I've tent and hammock camped all over the US, and am disappointed that camp Cedar won't have tent sites, but I understand the decision.  There are nice tent camping options just up the river.  

Repeating that these reasons are simply my guesses.  There may be others, including county health codes hurdles and such.  My church opened a huge primitive private campground east of Cincy a few years ago, and deals with lots of county health restrictions that I would not have thought of. 

I love the idea of tenting in the woods between the river and The Beast.  Here comes your 6AM wake up call!

RV sites likely rent for more per sqft, including charges for electricity, etc.  I imagine they're also much more in-demand than (sub)urban tent camping these days.   Camp Cedar isn't intended to be a rustic camping trip, biut rather a modern retreat.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jsus said:

RV sites likely rent for more per sqft, including charges for electricity, etc.  I imagine they're also much more in-demand than (sub)urban tent camping these days.   Camp Cedar isn't intended to be a rustic camping trip, but rather a modern retreat.

Just speculating here, but you are probably correct.