Kings Island Camp Cedar to Open Spring 2021

Camp Cedar looks like an absolutely wonderful addition.  Having said that, it would not surprise me in the least if the plug on this project was completely pulled before it ever opens.  I thought that before reading that reservations have been cancelled, and also before the "incident" at the park.  I'm actually kind of shocked that it was ever planned in the first place.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, KIfan73 said:

Camp Cedar looks like an absolutely wonderful addition.  Having said that, it would not surprise me in the least if the plug on this project was completely pulled before it ever opens.  I thought that before reading that reservations have been cancelled, and also before the "incident" at the park.  I'm actually kind of shocked that it was ever planned in the first place.

Keep in mind this is owned by a private company and is not owned by Kings Island.  However, the owners have entered into a contract with Cedar Fair to manage it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Seems that Camp Cedar opening has been postponed until late June, as folks are posting on social media that their reservations for earlier on in the month have been cancelled.

They do have an office staffed--I called today and asked if non resort guests could eat at the resort.  There are no plans for this.  I hope that changes once the labor issues ease.  It sounds like they are going to have some good food.

Here it is:

https://www.wcpo.com/news/crime/mason/kings-island-campground-camp-cedar-opening-delayed

The delayed opening is probably mostly due to staffing issues, but I wonder where construction is at this point. Chad Showalter said that there were material shortages, so that might mean construction isn’t on schedule. I really hope Kings Island can figure out their staffing issues, but I know many businesses are suffering from the same problem right now. Also, driving down State Route 741, I saw the new Camp Cedar sign above the campground, and it looks pretty nice. It also looks like a new Camp Cedar sign is being added right where you turn into the campground in front of the McDonald’s.

54 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Why is it in the crime section of their webpage LOL...

So you don't waste your money!  :lol:  Ya even when they intentionally choose a category, it's often forced..

e.g. https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/dont-waste-your-money/teen-writes-book-on-the-history-of-kings-island

For $21 you'll learn hundreds of things you probably didn't know about Kings Island, and you really don't waste your money.

Did anyone think @KIghostguy's book would be a waste of money?

5 hours ago, KIfan73 said:

Why would they pull the plug on it when they literally are almost done with it? It would be one thing to cancel when construction hasn't even started, but cancel now when they have the lodge almost completely built, the cottages/cabins in place, the rv sites in place, etc makes zero sense. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, coaster sally said:

Especially when the KI PR person is the one making the announcements!  Granted that is probably part of the contract that Small Brothers, LLC and Terra Firm Associates entered into with CF to manage Camp Cedar, but it will cause people to assume they are the same company.

Without trying to sound mean, but why would someone plan a big event like that for opening weekend of a brand new facility?  There are always so many unknowns and delays with construction, and the inevitable new facility operation issues until they get up to speed that would certainly impact a big event like this.  It is one thing planning a stay for your own family and can alter plans when something like this happens.

Reminds me of when you see a "new" restaurant open and the place is slammed over the first few days.  I mean come on, Bob Evans was here and closed down and built a new one down the road that opened a few months later and everybody lost their minds to be one of the first to try the new location when it opened LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Camp Cedar was DEFINITELY behind on construction. There must really be material shortages because I noticed a whole new structure that has gone up within the last week. I really hope that this structure and everything else can be finished in time for its opening later this week. I am also very interested to hear people’s thoughts on Camp Cedar once it opens.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 8:23 PM, DeltaFlyer said:

Camp Cedar *should* (barring any major issues) be opening late this week….

I guess major issues will prevent opening this week as people have been reporting on the Camp Cedar FB page that their reservations thru at least July 11th have been cancelled...

13 hours ago, disco2000 said:

I guess major issues will prevent opening this week as people have been reporting on the Camp Cedar FB page that their reservations thru at least July 11th have been cancelled...

Materials have really been a challenge this year. Lumber has been well covered, but things like insulation, copper wire & pipe, even the plastic pool lounge chairs are experiencing manufacturing delays/shortages. 

But just Sunday you mentioned that barring any unforeseen issues they would open by the end of this week.

If they are still in need of insulation and copper wire and pipe at this point, there is too much to do still even by the newest supposed opening of July 11th...

1 minute ago, disco2000 said:

But just Sunday you mentioned that barring any unforeseen issues they would open by the end of this week.

If they are still in need of insulation and copper wire and pipe at this point, there is too much to do still even by the newest supposed opening of July 11th...

First....what is HAPPENING with you?  There were no ellipsis until the end of your post!

What I got out of @DeltaFlyer's post was the fact that build a resort, lots of puzzle pieces have to fit together.  Underground utilities can delay landscaping.  Pipes and romex can delay a lodge building.  A lack of gravel can delay roads, drainage plains, and pools.  If you add in the lack of workers, even if you had all the supplies you need, you still have delays.  This is not to mention that there may be delays with construction and shipping of the mobile homes which is a known industry issue.

Add in budget over runs because  of all these factors and the owners might just say to hold up until prices come down, if they ever do.  

L...O....L...

What I was alluding to was DeltaFlyer posting on Sunday that the facility will open by Friday "barring any unforeseen issues" generally means it is past most of the punch list items at that point.  Tidy the place up sort of stuff.

Now it is being implied that things like insulation and copper wire and pipe is what is holding them up at this point; but for a facility this size, there is ZERO chance that from Sunday to Friday that they could receive such materials, install said materials, get inspection approvals for said items being installed, get drywall up and painted and what not in 5 days.  That would be tough for a single family home to have done in that time period, much less a large resort.

I get it, and I am not disputing, that there are labor shortages on almost every front and almost every raw material price is through the roof or in short supply right now and how a shortage of one item can delay an entire facility, but at some point a business needs to quit kicking the can down the curb and look at realistic timetables - driving by it last Friday (where the building I saw wasn't even under roof yet) sure didn't give the impression that it would be ready a week later under even ideal perfect conditions.

So the bigger question that nobody seems to be asking is was what was the source for the DeltaFlyer post that came off as having knowledge that the resort was basically days away from being finished?

30 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

driving by it last Friday (where the building I saw wasn't even under roof yet) sure didn't give the impression that it would be ready a week later under even ideal perfect conditions.

The building near the front of the complex is the maintenance building, which is not necessary to open the resort.

33 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Now it is being implied that things like insulation and copper wire and pipe is what is holding them up at this point; but for a facility this size, there is ZERO chance that from Sunday to Friday that they could receive such materials, install said materials, get inspection approvals for said items being installed, get drywall up and painted and what not in 5 days.  That would be tough for a single family home to have done in that time period, much less a large resort.

My comment was regarding the delays up until this point- not necessarily why this week didn't proceed as planned. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Hopefully things go smoothly for them now. 

Managed to reserve a cabin for next weekend. I guess some people are canceling cause they aren't sure how operations will go maybe. I'll try to get video and pictures if there aren't a ton on the net yet.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PatchesC said:

Managed to reserve a cabin for next weekend. I guess some people are canceling cause they aren't sure how operations will go maybe. I'll try to get video and pictures if there aren't a ton on the net yet.

Having worked there today, a few minor hiccups as to be expected, but should be fine e by next week.

You can see fireworks from there and you don't need to stay there for the restaurant/full bar. (Get the pizza)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IceePirate said:

Having worked there today, a few minor hiccups as to be expected, but should be fine e by next week.

You can see fireworks from there and you don't need to stay there for the restaurant/full bar. (Get the pizza)

Great to know about the fireworks. I don't mind minor issues, that's just the way things go with anything new. It's pretty much a test visit to see if we want to stay they for daughters 13th birthday in September. 

The one I'm kinda wondering about is if the transportation to the park is operating. I've never been able to drink at the park cause I'm the driver, so kinda looking forward to a cocktail lol

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

Great to know about the fireworks. I don't mind minor issues, that's just the way things go with anything new. It's pretty much a test visit to see if we want to stay they for daughters 13th birthday in September. 

The one I'm kinda wondering about is if the transportation to the park is operating. I've never been able to drink at the park cause I'm the driver, so kinda looking forward to a cocktail lol

Please report back with a trip report afterwards! We want to hear about it