Kings Island via 35mm Film

Gordon Bombay

I originally tried to make this a trip report/photo post, but had some issues with the forum and getting the photos posted. However, I did share all of the photos on my website.

Went to KI in July, first time in a long time. Some observations:

• Appreciated the good COVID protocols and enforcement. I was hesitant, but truly felt comfortable.
  • Staff I encountered were excellent.
  • Ate some food at the Coney BBQ—not bad, but nothing special.
  • Rode Orion and while it's really good (wow, that wave turn), it is super short. A bit disappointing if you've enjoyed other rides around the country, fantastic if you haven't. Still a nice addition, though. Theming is absolutely wonderful.
  • Super weird being able to clearly see The Beast station from across the field where Vortex was. 
  • New fountains look terrible (if you knew what was there before, but if you didn't: passable).

I've been shooting 35mm again for the last few years. I wanted to document KI with a roll of Kodak Portra 800 because it reminded me of the aesthetics of historical photos seen here on KIC + the photos I grew up seeing in advertisements, etc. 

Here's a few shots:

IMG_0862-dsqz.jpg

IMG_0927-dsqz.jpg

IMG_0910-dsqz.jpg

IMG_0915-dsqz.jpg

IMG_0918-dsqz.jpg

IMG_0920-dsqz.jpg

Quite a few more photographs up on my website if you're interested. 

• Like 10

Thanks for sharing those photos, Gordon Bombay! It is amazing how much Banshee is starting to fade in those photos.

Even though there was a pandemic going on this year, I really missed working rides at Coney Island this past summer.  Yes, I still worked there this year, but the place just wasn`t the same.  I truly miss it.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2020 at 12:44 PM, Klabergian Empire said:

Those are some amazing pictures @Gordon Bombay! Especially with 35mm...very nice.

Thank you, @Klabergian Empire!

On 12/15/2020 at 1:32 PM, Dj325 said:

Those photos are pretty cool!

Here's some photos that I've taken.

Thank you, @Dj325 and thank you for sharing some of your photos!

23 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

Thanks for sharing those photos, Gordon Bombay! It is amazing how much Banshee is starting to fade in those photos.

Even though there was a pandemic going on this year, I really missed working rides at Coney Island this past summer.  Yes, I still worked there this year, but the place just wasn`t the same.  I truly miss it.

Thanks, @CoastersRZ, hoping we can meet up for lunch again soon once the pandemic winds down.

5 hours ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

Excellent photos! I'm not gonna lie, this made me want to try exploring 35mm photography myself. It's been too long since my last foray into photography, and I've only ever used digital point-and-shoots or DSLRs. Any particular feelings one way or another on the Pentax K1000?

Thanks, @TombRaiderFTW! So, when it comes to 35mm cameras—I've mainly decided what to use based on what I randomly had. Via family, friends, and some other folks—I wound up with a Nikon N80, Pentax K1000, Minolta XD-11, and Canon AE-1. The N80 was the most like a digital SLR in both quality and use. But it broke. The Pentax and Minolta had a very vintage feel/easy metering, but the Minolta also broke. I used that one a lot growing up, though. 

I'd say the Pentax K1000 and Canon AE-1 are my favorites not simply because they've held up, but they're sturdy and well built. As long as I've metered properly and used good film, I never get a bad image. I'd say you can't go wrong with either one. I used the Pentax at KI because it was the one I had available at the time. I got the Canon about a month later. I switch between them now. If I had to pick one, though—the Pentax is my favorite. 

EDIT: I'll also say this—I needed to get some parts for both the Pentax and Canon and those two usually have plenty still available online since so they were so well produced. I also shoot with some rando point and shoot 35mm cameras. They work pretty well too.