Could a 3rd drop ride exist at KI?

SonofBaconator

Would it be out of line to want a 3rd drop ride that's in between Drop Tower and the Kite Eating Tree? Instead of something like Drop Tower which is slow and builds up suspense, how about a series of towers around 150ft that just launches riders up right out of the gate? Would that be repetitive or stand out enough to coexist with the other two drop rides in the park?

• Like 1

If the cables fail on the Eiffel Tower, that could be considered a "Drop Tower". :lol: :P

On a serious note, I personally don't see a reason to have a third drop ride. There's Kite Eating Tree for the kids and Drop Tower for the thrill seekers. I don't really see a common ground for "family-thrill seeker drop ride" so to say.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

If the cables fail on the Eiffel Tower, that could be considered a "Drop Tower". :lol: :P

It would take way more than a complete, catastrophic cable failure for an elevator to become a free-fall Drop Tower.  Roller coasters have anti-rollbacks on their lift hills; you better believe elevators have similar safety features.  Basically, there's a brake that automatically engages when the cables fail to hold the weight of the elevator carriage.  Elevators are incredibly safe; like roller coasters, it's much more likely it'll stop mid-cycle rather than suffer from any mechanical issue, certainly a free-fall.

https://time.com/4700084/elevator-patent-history-otis-safety/

https://www.otis.com/en/us/tools-resources/high-rise-safety-systems

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I don't feel it would be a good investment.  Drop Towers never do well and are a waste of money.  There is barely ever a line for Drop Tower when it is open, and seems to be shut down way too often.  The ones at Cedar Point are the same. Instead I'd like to see KI invest in dark rides.  Boo blasters needs to be replaced.  The guns don't work half the time and it is not very entertaining without them.  The technology that has developed for dark rides and make it a must ride attraction for park guest and are usually family oriented. 

To be frank, I think the "traditional era" (if you even want to call it that) of the Drop Tower phase is kind of over. I do not think we need another traditional Drop Tower, however I think a S&S Launch Tower would fit perfectly if the park would want a small impact, small footprint attraction somewhere around Coney or Oktoberfest. I would also like to believe that Drop Tower could be removed and upgraded for a Falcon's Fury style attraction some day in the near future as I think, in my opinion, the traditional Drop Tower design is dated and just doesn't do it for me anymore. 

• 3 years later...
On 1/7/2021 at 12:14 PM, Firehawk44 said:

Personally I don't feel it would be a good investment.  Drop Towers never do well and are a waste of money.  There is barely ever a line for Drop Tower when it is open, and seems to be shut down way too often.  The ones at Cedar Point are the same. Instead I'd like to see KI invest in dark rides.  Boo blasters needs to be replaced.  The guns don't work half the time and it is not very entertaining without them.  The technology that has developed for dark rides and make it a must ride attraction for park guest and are usually family oriented. 

gotta agree with this. i know Drop Tower is a cool experience, but ive never been able to get on it. the stomach dropping feeling makes me nauseous when i feel like im falling and since thats exactly what the point of the Drop Tower is i cant ride it lol. even besides that, i feel like with as long as the Drop Tower has been there that its popularity has died down a lot, and would probably be more costly to keep there than its worth. 

id deinitely like to see Action Zone in general altered. the layout is sort of odd, the rides there are mediocre (besides Banshee and bat), and it feels crammed. expand it a little bit and space things out more and update some of the rides that need it (congo falls, Invertigo)