The Park at OWA Trip Report - 12/27/20

ThrillKingsFitzy

So my biggest Christmas present this year was a surprise vacation to Gulf Shores, Alabama. We are doing different experiences for each child and my experience was The Park at OWA. The park itself has a good feel. It has an atmosphere like if Kings Island was scaled down a lot. They have a good mix of extreme and family thrills. I will be ranking the rides I rode and will be explaining them.

Rollin’ Thunder - This is a really fun ride. It’s not perfect though. The pros are that the ride has some really, REALLY strong airtime, it’s a great layout, great hang time, great pacing, great first drop, etc. The cons are the roughness, the length, and the very noticeable pothole after loop. It is very rough for a 2 year old coaster but besides that it’s a fun ride and I recommend it. 

Crazy Mouse - This is your standard Zamperla spinning wild mouse (fun fact: every ride at OWA is manufactured by Zamperla).  It was really fun. The spinning wasn’t really out of control, but the drops were fun and there was a good pop of floater on the second drop.

Alabama Wham’a - This is a Zamperla next-gen Enterprise. I’ve ridden two of these (one at OWA, one at Kentucky Kingdom) and they deliver the G’s. They are intense enough to make you light-headed when coming off the ride. Overall fun ride and a good extreme starting ride.

Air Racer - This is a Zamperla Air Racer. It basically spins you around while you seat is on a pendulum and the seat flips. Good ride, lots of fun hang time, I recommend it.

AeroZoom - This one was really interesting. I don’t know what the model name is, but (like Air Racer) it spins you around in a continuous circle but you are sitting in a seat under a glider looking thing and you have a bar in front of you. You can push the bar to go up really high and you pull the bar to go back down. Going down is more fun because it goes down in these tiny drops and you get little pops of air. Great ride, I recommend it.

Wave Rider - This is your standard Zamperla Disko (aka Surf Dog at KI). Nice ride, you get a little bit of air on the hill, and is overall pretty fun.

Flying Carousel - This is your basic Zamperla swing ride. Pretty fun ride, nice break from some of the extreme rides.

Mystic Mansion - This might be the only ride in the park that isn’t from Zamperla.   It’s pretty fun, but not when your exhausted from a 12 hour drive lol. Woke me up a couple of times lol. Good ride for the kids though because it’s laugh out loud fun if your awake.

Gully Washer - This is your standard Zamperla frog hopper (kiddie Drop Tower). It’s pretty fun for a kiddie ride and a great starting ride for the little kids. 

Southern Express - Three words. WORST. RIDE. EVER. Not because it’s a kiddie coaster, but because it hurts. It’s the roughest steel coaster I’ve ridden and can give you whiplash if you aren’t careful. It may be enjoyable for the kids but I don’t recommend it for people five feet or over.

Overall, it’s a pretty good park. I didn’t get some rides in (with Rollin Thunder being closed) but luckily I’m riding that later this week. I’ll post the review on this forum when I’m done with it!

• Like 1