New Kings Island Front Gate and Entry Plaza

FUN&ONLY!

With Kings Island’s 50th anniversary coming up in just over a year and the park still having its original front gate and entrance plaza, what would you like to see in an updated front gate and entrance plaza? The park could build a completely new entrance like Cedar Point, Carowinds, Worlds of Fun, or use a completely new design. Kings Island could also keep the same front gate and the International Restaurant but upgrade and theme the facade and build new ticket booths and a new season pass processing center. Share your ideas below!

image.jpeg

https://www.the-lake-effect.com/Cedar_Point_Kings_Island.html

image.jpeg
http://matthunterross.com/kings-island

image.jpeg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.laughingplace.com/w/articles/2020/07/31/reopened-cedar-point-park-sandusky-ohio/amp/

image.jpeg
http://blogs.uww.edu/thrillseeker/2018/04/05/carowinds-3-25-2018-trip-report/

image.png

https://www.worldsoffun.com/tickets-passes/daily-tickets

• Like 1

Because of how beautiful International Street is, I don't hate the obstruction of it's view until I officially enter the park. It's always felt like a grand reveal of sorts, same with Wonderland and Dominion. I do wish the brown wall would be renovated and the building repainted/refurbished to look less dated and drab. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, JimParker85 said:

Because of how beautiful International Street is, I don't hate the obstruction of it's view until I officially enter the park. It's always felt like a grand reveal of sorts, same with Wonderland and Dominion. I do wish the brown wall would be renovated and the building repainted/refurbished to look less dated and drab. 

I agree that they shouldn’t demolish the entrance building but rather update and refurbish it. Something like this concept I found online would be nice because it keeps the same building and the International Restaurant, but it makes the entrance more grand and appealing and ties it into the international theme of the park.

image.jpeg

http://matthunterross.com/kings-island

• Like 5

I agree as well, the current entrance has plenty of infrastructure already built in, and it would be quite a large loss to tear it down. I mainly just see a facelift being needed in the next few years, especially on the west side facing the parking lot. Either updating it to a look more like the WinterFest entrance permanently with a more flush look like pictured above, or just simply modernizing the billboards and maybe new shingles and some roofing work would be all that's needed. KI truly doesn't need a completely new entrance plaza, especially compared to some other parks. Just needs a little modernization and/or revamping. 

• Like 3

Keep the structure as is.  Get rid of the banners, replace the shingles, add accent pieces and international flags (i think they were there originally).  Renovate the ticket building to emulate the architecture of International Street.  Return the classic logo to the bank on the south side.  Add some trees.  Bring back decorative lamp posts.  But don't demolish it and pull a Carowinds.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I would really like to see everything new like Cedar Point, Carowinds and Worlds of Fun that have already updated theirs.....but not ONLY Kings Island needs redesigning but Kings Dominion, Canada's Wonderland do need updates on the front gate entrances....I would NOT be surprised if I am able to see everything new....the sooner the better.

I agree with Indyguy4KI.  Update the roof, and maybe get rid of the banners to some digital displays.  Also, as others have said, it would be nice if the incorporated the facade structure that they typically build for Haunt and Winterfest into part of the permanant facade of the building.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Here is an idea I came up with. This is a very large scale concept that would be a large investment and likely unrealistic for a park like KI and the market KI is in. This is basically if the entrance plazas at Cedar Point/Carowinds and ChocolateTown at HersheyPark had a baby. The specifics are numbered so here is what they mean:

1) new ticket/season pass building

2) guest services/offices

3) two story restaurant (similar to ChocolateTown)

4) gift shop

5) candy shop

6) ice cream parlor (would definitely serve blue ice cream)

7) new front gate (think CP/Carowinds/WOF)

8) grassy area for special events

9) Upgraded Timberwolf (KI Music Center lol @Dj325)

I understand this is unlikely and probably unrealistic, but a boy can dream lol. Enjoy!

KI entrance update concept.png

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I think an entry plaza update will happen eventually, but I hope it stays unique to KI.  Keep the turnstyle building as-is structurally, replace the banners and roof.  Add the flags back.  Put the classic logo back on the berm.  Since passes can now be processed at the turnstyle, replace it with something smaller.  

Just don't mirror CP like Carowinds did.  Our entry plaza needs to stay in KI style.  While i like your first rendering, I think it's too much for the space as you alluded to.  Maybe relocate the parking behind the berm and move the berm back?  Your second rendering is much more doable....good work!

• Like 3

I think part of the way the entrance works in opening up to the Eiffel Tower is the low ceiling in the entry.  I think the contrast from having that lower ceiling and then having it open up with the Eiffel Tower standing in all its glory is what sells that feel of walking in the park.  I think whatever form a new entry would take should keep that going.  

I think there should be some form of arched facade in front to kind of supplement the Eiffel Tower when walking up to it and give it more of a royal/international feel. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, silver2005 said:

I think part of the way the entrance works in opening up to the Eiffel Tower is the low ceiling in the entry.  I think the contrast from having that lower ceiling and then having it open up with the Eiffel Tower standing in all its glory is what sells that feel of walking in the park.  I think whatever form a new entry would take should keep that going.  

I think there should be some form of arched facade in front to kind of supplement the Eiffel Tower when walking up to it and give it more of a royal/international feel. 

I agree about how the low ceiling really helps sell the entry onto International Street and the grandeur of the Eiffel Tower. The front gates work well as they are, and the building is also home to offices, shops, restrooms and a restaurant, so they'd have a lot to replace if they tore it down. But a remodel to make it a little more festive-looking wouldn't hurt. 

Honestly, I'd just be happy if they went back to the nicely manicured shrubbery out front themed to whatever is new that year (starting with a 50th anniversary logo would be a good start). And I've beat this drum before, but I'd love to see them do more with the International Restaurant, especially during the season. It used to be such a great spot to go get a nice meal during the day. Maybe overhaul it a bit or make it a lounge/bar would be a good concept. Or just return it to a nice indoor dining experience. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

@silver2005  As someone who nerds out on architecture and reads LeCorbusier translations for enjoyment, I absolute am ON BOARD FOR ARCHES!!! maybe some green details to make the reference cohesive could be applied. As for the roof… A glass tiled solar roof would be STUNNING, show guests that the park is modernizing, and be eligible for HUGE tax credits for at least a few more years. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DeltaFlyer said:

As long as we stay far, far away from Antoni Gaudi, I’m fine……

Lol. Definitely don’t put Casa Batlló at the front of the park .But not to get too in the weeds here, what people are talking about wanting to see with the entrance plaza in this thread is very much in line with Gaudi’s ideals.  

“Gaudí's work is normally classed as modernista, and it belongs to this movement because of its eagerness to renovate without breaking with tradition, its quest for modernity, the ornamental sense applied to works, and the multidisciplinary character of its undertakings, where craftsmanship plays a central role. To this, Gaudí adds a dose of the baroque, adopts technical advances and continues to use traditional architectural language.”   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoni_Gaudí

Speaking of Casa Batlló, I’m off to the Sesame Place forum to expand my idea for a majestic Fraggle Rock themed dark ride and play structure lol.