Camp Snoopy?

SonofBaconator

I've seen this talked about on here every once and a while so I thought I'd make a thread about it. Traditionally the children's area was typically rebranded to whatever property the park was trying to promote from HB to Nickelodeon to Peanuts. 

Would it benefit the park to overhaul the kids area? Maybe add another kiddie coaster? The camping aspect would make a good transition to Rivertown. The park doesn't hold the title of "World's Best Kids Area" anymore so changing things up certainly wouldn't hurt. If not a overhaul maybe just adding some more modern rides. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I've seen this talked about on here every once and a while so I thought I'd make a thread about it. Traditionally the children's area was typically rebranded to whatever property the park was trying to promote from HB to Nickelodeon to Peanuts. 

Would it benefit the park to overhaul the kids area? Maybe add another kiddie coaster? The camping aspect would make a good transition to Rivertown. The park doesn't hold the title of "World's Best Kids Area" anymore so changing things up certainly wouldn't hurt. If not a overhaul maybe just adding some more modern rides. 

I think Kings Island does need to do an overhaul of their kids area, and I think the Camp Snoopy theme would be a great fit. Over the last couple of years, Kings Island’s current Planet Snoopy has started to show its age in my opinion, and parts of it look kind of dated. On the other hand, The new Camp Snoopy at Carowinds looks really nice and way more aesthetically pleasing than Kings Island’s Planet Snoopy with the wooded theme, the brick pavers throughout, and the waterfall. The only advantage Kings Island’s kids area has over Carowinds is more unique rides, but the area itself is in need of a nice refresh or retheme.

• Like 1

The answer is YES.....Kings Island really needs to upgrade from Planet Snoopy (Existing) to Camp Snoopy..... I have heard Cedar Point, Carowinds, Knott's Berry Farm and now Michigan's Adventure (up north in Muskgeon, Michigan already have Camp Snoopy....Although I have heard Michigan's Adventure was supposed to have Camp Snoopy open this year but the bad news is that with the COVID19 pandemic being a problem so what that means it will now be May 2021 with the rescheduled opening of Camp Snoopy....  I think Kings Dominion along with Worlds of Fun, Valleyfair should do the same thing as well, too

• Like 1

The main thing I would say that would stop an overhaul would be $$$. Also I have few questions. Would rides be rebranded? For example, "Snoopy's Space Buggies" doesn't really fit in with the camping atmosphere. Also would some current rides or attractions be removed? 

Here's my vision for a rebrand:

• Remove the barnyard for either more kiddie flats
  • If not flats, remove the barnyard for a coaster. A GG woodie, a spinning coaster, or a wild mouse would be nice.
  • Repaint Woodstock Express yellow for two reasons: It resembles the bird's actual color and it would pay homage to the ride's original color scheme
  • Add small fir trees and wilderness theming
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

^ I'd add to that:  replace pavement.  The mismatched concrete is looking pretty bad.  But then again, I don't know how many kids and parents look at pavement.  Let's finish International Street and Action Zone and not do anything about Snoopy and Soak City.  LOL

I would love if Kings Island could replace the mismatched concrete with stone pavers. They have done a good job at adding new pavers in recent years like in Coney Mall and International Street.

1 hour ago, kingsislandfan1972 said:

Didn't Mall Of America have a Camp Snoopy theming before changing into Nickelodeon Universe?

Yup.  Looks like Cedar Fair had the exclusive rights to the IP for theme/amusement parks and CFEC + MoA couldn't come to a licensing deal, so the mall went with the Nickelodeon IP that CFEC abandoned when buying the Paramount Parks.

https://www.startribune.com/camp-snoopy-who-nickelodeon-runs-the-show-now-at-mall-of-america/130570388/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickelodeon_Universe#Camp_Snoopy

• Like 1

Planet Snoopy definitely needs an overhaul if KI has any future hopes of taking back the Golden Ticket award for best kids area.  The rides in Planet Snoopy are old and stale in comparison to the new and innovative style kids rides in Dollywood’s Wildwood Grove (which took away the Golden Ticket award for best kids area from KI this last season after many years).   KI needs a kids steel coaster like the Dragonflier instead of their typical re-paints, re-themes, and re-names of rides in their kids area.

• Like 2

I think taking a revamp and making itva Snoopy themed dark ride xamping through all 4 seasons or holudays, another Coaster, even enclosing the log flume and all. Ki has always had a Special kids family area. I think make it over the top bring a woodstock carousel in, highly themed dark ride, camp feel... win back the best, as we know its already the best of the rest. 

Not inclyded i still think 2 new dark rides elaewhere in the park. 

Would love to see a Knotts East visio. For the belived park with a major destination for all like Cedar , Knotts, or Dolly. 

Bring ki back to its full glory. For what is a great park. .

• Like 3

I would love to see this as I think the Camp Snoopy theme looks a lot better at the parks and more trees would be great. Plus as others said it is a better transition into Rivertown.

I do like the idea of a camp theme dark ride for Boo Blasters. Always pictured something with the holidays as those specials are what they're really known for but the camping theme would fit the camp idea better. I would also remove the stage and petting zoo (relocated to a Rivertown expansion for a small farm area) area to open up a large chunk of land for new additions. 

New rides I would put would be a large gondola ferris wheel (as many people seem to want one) where the theatre was facing towards IS to give great views of the park, a teacups style ride like Valleyfair's Woodstock's Whirlybirds, and then a new larger scale family coaster like Kentucky Flyer or Dragonflier. This could fit with the station in the petting zoo area and then utilizing that area there as well as going down along the side of the picnic grove towards the train tracks.

Other rides could be replaced/updated to something new, for instance change Snoopy's Junction to something like Black Bear Trail from Dollywood (this could also be done in place of the new coaster as well to keep costs down some). I think most of what the have still works fine though but not sure there is a lot more land to expand with.

The best Camp Snoopy, by far, is the original at Knotts Berry Farm.  What makes the version at Knotts so great is that it is heavily saturated with big full trees, and the overall theme is woodsy (camp) and rustic.  Its been overhauled a number of times - but the current version is superb. 

If KI must stick with the Snoopy theme, I too would love it if KI took the time to do a similar overhaul to their current kids area. It would require KI to completely gut the entire area, but if they did... it would be spectacular.  Also, replicating the theme at Knotts would definitely compliment the now waning Rivertown theme... and could easily be blended to make the two areas cohesive and complimentary. Finally, Boo Blasters is crying out... no, SCREAMING... for a Snoopy themed dark ride.

• Like 8

On 12/30/2020 at 7:58 PM, SonofBaconator said:

The main thing I would say that would stop an overhaul would be $$$. Also I have few questions. Would rides be rebranded? For example, "Snoopy's Space Buggies" doesn't really fit in with the camping atmosphere. Also would some current rides or attractions be removed? 

Here's my vision for a rebrand:

• Remove the barnyard for either more kiddie flats
  • If not flats, remove the barnyard for a coaster. A GG woodie, a spinning coaster, or a wild mouse would be nice.
  • Repaint Woodstock Express yellow for two reasons: It resembles the bird's actual color and it would pay homage to the ride's original color scheme
  • Add small fir trees and wilderness theming

Interestingly, Space Buggies is the only ride with a space themed name. And the cars could be rethemed with a simple paint job. The names of most of the rides actually fit the camp theme better than the space theme. Joe Cool's Dodgem School still has space ship themed cars as a hold over from Nickelodeon Universe. Those could be rethemed easily as well. 

Having spent a day in Planet Snoopy this year, the paint jobs and signage are looking pretty worn. My guess is that we'll see a refresh of the entire area in the next few years since we're not really seeing them repainting the rides one by one. It would make sense to add a ride or 2 at the same time but I don't see us getting another roller coaster in that area. My vote would be to retheme Boo Blasters instead of adding a ride though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Instead of retheming boo blasters into another peanuts dark ride, I say redo it into a new version of Phantom Theater and make it not part of Camp Snoopy. 

That is a good idea, hopefully they go back to the traditional animatronics instead of cardboard cutouts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingsislandfan1972 said:

That is a good idea, hopefully they go back to the traditional animatronics instead of cardboard cutouts.

Idk if they would do animatronics, but they could do large projection screens or they could do both. They could even try to have 3D glasses on the ride (however, would slow capacity a little)

7 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Instead of retheming boo blasters into another peanuts dark ride, I say redo it into a new version of Phantom Theater and make it not part of Camp Snoopy. 

Best of both worlds idea: Peanuts in Boo Blasters and Phantom Theater in the old Crypt building.

• Like 3