Adding theming to White Water Canyon?

SonofBaconator

I recently watched a POV of the refurbished Calico River Rapids ride at Knott's, formerly known as Bigfoot rapids. Throughout the ride guests encounter tons of cool theming and even animatronics. Could theming be added to White Water Canyon or would it be pointless? There is a lot going on with the train, Diamondback, and Mystic Timbers going by so animatronics wouldn't make a lot of sense but I think it would be cool to see some theming added throughout stretches of the ride on an off year. I would even be fine if they tied it into the Mystic Timber's story.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

It would be a unique/innovative addition.  However, a couple things come to mind.  At knott's, the utilities (electric) is fairly accessible because the course runs close to the main areas of the park.  KI would have to do quite a bit of rigging to get power lines where they would need to be.  Cost/benefit would likely come into play.  Secondly- KI doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to maintaining theming elements.  

That said, next $30M project (you know, in 10 years- long after pandemic...)- don't.  spend half of that and create a themed immersion experience in the TRTR building.  Create something no one has seen before that you have to ride more than once (or three times) to get it all.  Orion is a great roller coaster; it's tall and fast... but so is Diamondback.  realistically, the park doesn't need both.  and that is in excess of $55M in steel coaster track that is redundant...  meanwhile, there have been two large buildings on property that have sat empty for close to a decade. 

I vote to maximize use of what is currently there and being under-utilized before trying to add something new to the skyline every couple of years.

Sorry, sort of went off-topic a bit.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 7:08 AM, BeeastFarmer said:

Why?  WWC is themed to itself.  Besides  the classic barns/sheds and rockwork, there is no need for additional things like animatronics.  Just enjoy the ride through the woods.

Before Mystic Timbers I'd agree but wouldn't mind seeing some story additions to it. I don't think it needs huge stuff but just some small bits to add some story elements from MT to it. With the rides intertwined so much it would work well.

It's still nice being separated from the main part of the park with it but it doesn't have the same feeling of seclusion anymore. I miss the queue walk through the woods and being completely separated form the rest of the park and not emerging back until you get off the exit path. With the coaster crossing over it throughout the course and more trees removed it's lost the seclusion. So I think building up the storyline more would be nice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, purdude86 said:

Before Mystic Timbers I'd agree but wouldn't mind seeing some story additions to it. I don't think it needs huge stuff but just some small bits to add some story elements from MT to it. With the rides intertwined so much it would work well.

It's still nice being separated from the main part of the park with it but it doesn't have the same feeling of seclusion anymore. I miss the queue walk through the woods and being completely separated form the rest of the park and not emerging back until you get off the exit path. With the coaster crossing over it throughout the course and more trees removed it's lost the seclusion. So I think building up the storyline more would be nice.

I see your point.  Just my viewpoint, but I don't think an expensive retheme would be worth it.  Props to tie in the ride (nature stuff) and maybe some static lumber mill/mysterious stuff for MT, but nothing like Knott's.

WWC is a fun ride as is, and I think those who said its theming fine are right. It's a short ride, and a fast one. And the nature of it is that people are constantly on the look out for the next wave or waterfall. I feel like additional theming wouldn't really add much to the experience. 

I would, however, love Kings Island do create a themed log flume ride somewhere in the park. The Peanuts one is good, but I'd love something along the size of the Keelboats to return, maybe venturing through the Tomb Raider/Crypt building. 

I like the thinking of adding a themed water ride; I just think doing it to White Water Canyon is inessential. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cdubbs727 said:

WWC is a fun ride as is, and I think those who said its theming fine are right. It's a short ride, and a fast one. And the nature of it is that people are constantly on the look out for the next wave or waterfall. I feel like additional theming wouldn't really add much to the experience. 

I would, however, love Kings Island do create a themed log flume ride somewhere in the park. The Peanuts one is good, but I'd love something along the size of the Keelboats to return, maybe venturing through the Tomb Raider/Crypt building. 

I like the thinking of adding a themed water ride; I just think doing it to White Water Canyon is inessential. 

I would love for the park to get a Mack Rides Water Coaster in the place of the Crypt and have pay homage to Kentons Cove in some way.

12 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I see your point.  Just my viewpoint, but I don't think an expensive retheme would be worth it.  Props to tie in the ride (nature stuff) and maybe some static lumber mill/mysterious stuff for MT, but nothing like Knott's.

That’s what I envision too. Nothing extreme like Knott’s. Some static scenery in spots and lights on the trees that mimic the concept art for MT. Then sounds or something to give the concept of something in the woods. Basically just something showing an idea of logging and nature fighting back.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2021 at 11:44 AM, Outdoor Man said:

It would be a unique/innovative addition.  However, a couple things come to mind.  At knott's, the utilities (electric) is fairly accessible because the course runs close to the main areas of the park.  KI would have to do quite a bit of rigging to get power lines where they would need to be.  Cost/benefit would likely come into play.  Secondly- KI doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to maintaining theming elements.  

That said, next $30M project (you know, in 10 years- long after pandemic...)- don't.  spend half of that and create a themed immersion experience in the TRTR building.  Create something no one has seen before that you have to ride more than once (or three times) to get it all.  Orion is a great roller coaster; it's tall and fast... but so is Diamondback.  realistically, the park doesn't need both.  and that is in excess of $55M in steel coaster track that is redundant...  meanwhile, there have been two large buildings on property that have sat empty for close to a decade. 

I vote to maximize use of what is currently there and being under-utilized before trying to add something new to the skyline every couple of years.

Sorry, sort of went off-topic a bit.

There's essentially power running along the entire ride, I'm sure you could tie into spots where there are pumps, operator booths, etc.  What I think would be really cool is if they would add a night time lighting package to it.

• Like 1

I could see both WWC and perhaps the railroad being tied together with the overall Mystic Timbers theme. Wouldn't need animatronics or anything like that, but some static elements to tie WWC into the Miami River Lumber Company, and parts of the railroad that are close to MT/WWC having the same.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PKIDelirium said:

I could see both WWC and perhaps the railroad being tied together with the overall Mystic Timbers theme. Wouldn't need animatronics or anything like that, but some static elements to tie WWC into the Miami River Lumber Company, and parts of the railroad that are close to MT/WWC having the same.

like dressing the “wave maker” and the lookout into more of an industrial “factory” look or lumber mill. I thought even if they dressed it to reference the Peter’s factory over on the river, it would bring some local lore to the ride and would necessitate making it “pretty”, just more logical why there is a big machine in the middle of the woods at the edge of the river.