Does roller coaster track break immersion?

Captain Nemo

In a more open ended question;

Most if not all rollercoasters around the world follow a very linear path where the route taken can be seen before and during the ride. For attractions such as these there is no immersion to be discussed as it is built as just a thrilling attraction. But for rides more so found in Universal or Disney built around densely themed areas, sometimes Roller coaster track and their mechanics can break this. Coasters such as Expidition Everest and Thunder Mountain they use the theme to incorporate itself into the track to further immerse the riders. 

But for some very well theme rollercoasters, EX; Hagrids, Space Mountain, and The Mummy. The environment does not mix with the large track leading the way My question to you, do you find that roller coaster track breaks immersion on select attractions? 

I wouldn't say it's a thing for me of, like, "I could enjoy this story if it weren't for the visible track!" It's a necessary evil for what's available in the amusement industry right now, and consequently, I don't pay it much attention. Especially for Space Mountain and Mummy, there weren't that many/any other options available at the time.

I do think that, if there was some way of getting a coaster experience without seeing track, it would enhance the magic of it all much more, though. Going back to the example of Hagrid: if there WAS some way of experiencing being on a flying motorcycle without clearly seeing the path you're about to take, it would add so much to the experience. I don't know that anything exists like that at the moment, though. The best example I can think of is the KUKA arm system used for Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, but that's not a coaster. It's just a good way of telling a story without showing riders where they're going. Even GPS-tracked dark rides eventually wear on the floor and give you a hint about where you're going. I think that's a possible opportunity for growth within the industry.

Maybe in 50 years, drone technology will have come so far that we'll have silent, trackless, hovering dark ride cars that can give the kinds of experiences we're talking about.

• Like 2