Orion VS Mystic Timbers: Which Coaster Has The Best Overall Theming?

kingsislandfan1972

Which Coaster Has The Best Overall Theming?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In my opinion Orion & Mystic Timbers both have the best overall theming of a coaster at Kings Island, it's kind of hard to pick which coaster has the best overall theming like "Orion's" space theming throughout the Que and ride itself, and then you have "Mystic Timbers" spooky woods & lumberyard theming throughout the que and ride itself.

So I am asking you out of "Orion" & "Mystic Timbers" which coaster has the best overall ride theming?( Note: this has nothing to do with the overall coaster experience, this is just about the overall theming of the coaster!)

• Like 1

I think "Orion's theming" is anything in ride's que, station and (maybe) its soundtrack. If I were to say that Area 72 is a part of "Orion's theming", that would be the same as saying that Area 72 is a part of Flight of Fear's "theming." Does that make more sense?

I wish I could vote for both. I can't stress enough how much I love that the park has spent time and resources on the last few rides. First, even though Banshee doesn't have as elaborate of theming, I really like the station, the Banshee scream, the graves, it all adds a cool feeling to the queue. Additionally, with Mystic Timbers and Orion, the soundtracks are amazing, and just the atmosphere is amazing. It's no Disney level of theming, but it's definitely one step further towards being a theme park, which I'm totally down for. Even though it's not perfect, I like how Miami Brewhouse and the Meteor Canteen both fit in to their surrounding rides respectively. They really went out of their way with the truck and reporter car, and it just adds to the atmosphere. Done well, it really adds to the vibe of the forest with WWC, and the railroad. Same thing with Orion & Flight of Fear. An example of this poorly done would be the FunTVs in the queue of Boo Blasters (it kills the environment of that room). If I had to choose one though, I'd have to go with Mystic Timbers as a ride individually, but Area 72 as a whole is far better.

• Like 3

I think Orion gets the edge from me, but it's a slight one. I just think more thought went into the queue. Both rides have good theming outside the queues, with the news truck at Orion and pickup at Mystic Timbers. The queue theming at Orion is fun and well-thought out, and I'll give it extra points for all the KI history within it. Mystic Timber's queue just has grainy videos, and it doesn't do as well at establishing a story for the ride. True, Mystic Timbers has "the shed," but that's a neutral for me -- I like the attempt, but it's more of a head-scratcher than anything else. And I think the Area 72 really feeds into Orion's story and feeling; RiverTown is the same whether you have Mystic Timbers there or not. 

But still, it's a toss up. And to be honest, I like Mystic Timbers better than Orion as a ride. So, they equal out. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, its Mystic Timbers hands down. However, Orion still does have great theming. 

MT essentially is built around its' theme, which is why I love it. Between the truck, que line, music, train design and shed it is a total experience. 

Orion definitely has this same "experience" vibe as you walk through the lab before getting on the ride and I love it, but it doesn't measure up to MT's in my opinion. Orion is more about the coaster - and it should be!

Overall, I respect a ride that makes an effort to sell it's "theme." Not everyone feels that way but the best rides have his quality in my opinion! 

• Like 4

On 2/11/2021 at 1:11 PM, DownInRivertown said:

First of all, its Mystic Timbers hands down. However, Orion still does have great theming. 

MT essentially is built around its' theme, which is why I love it. Between the truck, que line, music, train design and shed it is a total experience. 

Orion definitely has this same "experience" vibe as you walk through the lab before getting on the ride and I love it, but it doesn't measure up to MT's in my opinion. Orion is more about the coaster - and it should be!

Overall, I respect a ride that makes an effort to sell it's "theme." Not everyone feels that way but the best rides have his quality in my opinion! 

I agree. Orion's surrounding area and queue, especially with Area 72 (the news truck, crater, etc. Plus Flight of Fear's hangar building also acting as a thematic element) is all great and probably the best theming I've seen or a giga. But the focus on the ride itself is just the ride. Mystic Timbers is themed from the moment you reach the entrance tot he queue until you leave the exit path. It has the surrounding area with the woods (that covers the entire ride), heavily themed queue, station, and more just like Orion, but it goes a step further. The trains themselves themed to trucks, the audio on the lift hill and final brake run, the shed (even if many think it was overhyped and lacking it is still a large thematic piece), along with some theming from it expanding throughout Rivertown with the vines in the queues for Beast and WWC.

• Like 3