What new attraction would make the best sense for KI?

dropdasher

10 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Keep in mind blueprints need to be drawn for basically all construction projects and not just new rides. The blueprints could be for something like restrooms or a restaurant. I assume the blueprints are not for a past addition because they wouldn’t have to hide them, but they could also be trying to mess with us. Anyone want to go and check Mason’s offices for new blueprints? LOL!

Very true. We don't even have a notice of commencement yet for 2022-2204 either. Hopefully that is coming soon. 

• 1 month later...

Kings Island lacks a ride with ejector airtime and a few inversions. I think any coaster with maybe 2 ejector moments,at least 3 inversions (at least 1 of which is a vertical loop), along with other forces like hangtime would fit great.

Final verdict: copperhead strike or an abyssus like coaster would would be great.

• Like 2

In terms of coasters a B&M floorless like Dominator or a Mack like Blue Fire would be nice. The park really lacks on the flats tho. I wouldn’t mind seeing a gerstlauer sky roller, end up in Area 72, or an enterprise in Coney Mall.

5 hours ago, Tr0y said:

In terms of coasters a B&M floorless like Dominator or a Mack like Blue Fire would be nice. The park really lacks on the flats tho. I wouldn’t mind seeing a gerstlauer sky roller, end up in Area 72, or an enterprise in Coney Mall.

You mean a return of Skylab? I would welcome that. I would like to see some flat rides added to Action Zone and Rivertown though.

As far as coasters, after reviewing my thoughts on Maverick this week, I do think a quality multi-launch coaster would be great, especially if it could be on that level. Though a Mack extreme spinner would also be a great option. 

• Like 3

On 8/7/2021 at 12:04 PM, DoomPlague said:

You mean a return of Skylab? I would welcome that. I would like to see some flat rides added to Action Zone and Rivertown though.

As far as coasters, after reviewing my thoughts on Maverick this week, I do think a quality multi-launch coaster would be great, especially if it could be on that level. Though a Mack extreme spinner would also be a great option. 

I wonder how difficult it would be to put a small enclosed flat ride with a glass ceiling inside of the FoF building so guests could look up into the spaghetti bowl in the darkness. It's a strange idea, but I think it would be very interesting if there was adequate real estate. Something like a Rotor or Gravitron would make the most sense.

16 hours ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

I wonder how difficult it would be to put a small enclosed flat ride with a glass ceiling inside of the FoF building so guests could look up into the spaghetti bowl in the darkness. It's a strange idea, but I think it would be very interesting if there was adequate real estate. Something like a Rotor or Gravitron would make the most sense.

While interesting, without this being in the original plans, it is literally impossible now. There is just not enough room.

I would love a immersive dark 3D type of ride.  I know KI cannot absorb the ongoing maint/operational costs . . but how much do you think a place like Universal spends every 30 days of operational costs to keep those type of rides running.  Just curious because I really would have no idea. 

I don’t really know how much KI spends every 30 days to keep Boo Blasters running.

• Like 1

The park has been operating dark rides in one form or another since 1972. I don’t think it’s a matter of them not being able to afford it as much as it is not wanting to spend the money. As mentioned elsewhere, the Enchanted Voyage was a pretty sizable investment when the park opened. So, a dark ride with actual, physical props and sets is certainly possible. That being said, I think it’s unlikely given Cedar Fair’s attitude towards dark rides in general. Which is shame. 

• Like 1

I'd love another dark ride, or even a retheme of Boo Blasters.  It wouldn't have to be anything too elaborate (although something like Phantom Theater would be awesome), but anything would be appreciated.  You could do simple physical sets/props and animatronics with limited animation in order to cut down on maintenance costs.  Looking back at the Smurf ride, those figures had very simple animation, but the ride was completely immersive and effective. 

I'd love to see a Peanuts-themed dark ride similar to Smurfs Enchanted Voyage.  You could even go through the seasons and have references to the different Peanuts specials (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc).  And this is just a "wish list" item, but I'd love to see the return of the water and boat system in order to move you through.  There's something about a boat-style dark ride that just feels "classic" to me.

Unfortunately, I think that Boo Blasters continues to tick the "dark ride" box as far as Cedar Fair is concerned.  It's probably cheap to maintain and doesn't require a whole lot of thought when deciding to keep it or not.  If they're not really concerned about having dark rides, I can see them just deciding to leave it there forever, or until it requires too much money to keep it running.  I just hope they never decide to take the dark ride out.

• Like 1

Boo Blasters was a quick fix when the park stopped using the Scooby Doo IP, much like how Top Gun became Flight Deck, Italian Job became Backlot, and so on. I think public opinion plays a big role in what happens to BBoBH and currently I think the GP are happy with how it is. They could bring back Phantom Theater or do a Peanuts themed dark ride but will it be worth it? The guns have become somewhat of a staple of that building so whatever replaces BBoBH will have to still feature the shooting experience IMO.

I think the park could use another dark ride in general. I've suggested in the past that KI could kill two birds with one stone and bring back the 4d theater and have a custom Phantom Theater show.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I think the park could use another dark ride in general. I've suggested in the past that KI could kill two birds with one stone and bring back the 4d theater and have a custom Phantom Theater show.

It would be nice to see that theatre being used more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm cool with the flying theater ride for the crypt building. They need to put something in there. 

I also agree we need more flat rides. The homage to Der Spinnen Keggers was a terrific idea. I'd like to see a Ferris Wheel return but I'd LOVE to see a Double Ferris Wheel return. Long Live The Zodiac! Perfect for Area 72 theming too! 

• 1 year later...

After reviewing how much RMC charges for their coasters, it does somewhat shock me that we don’t see more of them in the Cedar Fair chain. They don’t all have to be on par with Steel Vengance but the one at Funspot in GA cost $13,000,000 and it’s 3,400ft of track. Heck Zara cost $2,000,000 more than that and it tops 200ft in height and is only about 1,000ft longer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

After reviewing how much RMC charges for their coasters, it does somewhat shock me that we don’t see more of them in the Cedar Fair chain. They don’t all have to be on par with Steel Vengance but the one at Funspot in GA cost $13,000,000 and it’s 3,400ft of track. Heck Zara cost $2,000,000 more than that and it tops 200ft in height and is only about 1,000ft longer.

They have horrible capacity. At least for the ones I have ridden that are under Cedar Fair. (Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers) Not sure who thought it was a good idea to design a coaster that requires each rider to go through a TSA check before riding. Nothing like waiting for a locker computer that works, having to get everything out of my pockets and put into a locker only to be patted down and be caught with a small item that I forgot just so I have to go back to said locker and go through the whole motion again. Oh and don’t ever let go of the locked door while emptying your pockets. The doors automatically close and lock themselves therefor you have to start from the beginning getting a computer and such.. If they do happen to go with another RMC, Hopefully they take a hard look at Iron Gwazi which has no TSA check, and to me personally, is better than Steel Vengeance and Twister Timbers.

In addition, it has been reported that all of the RMCs Cedar Fair installed in 2018 have had significant maintenance issues. I saw a video from one of the winter chill outs at Cedar Point where one of the maintenance workers placed RMC in the same boat as Intamin in terms of reliability, which isn't a good sign at all.

• Like 2

I’m not discounting the potential maintenance issues but you also have to look at 2018. Cedar Point ordered a hybrid with new trains, a first of its kind hybrid hyper with new trains and a first of its kind single rail. Not only that, but having interned there myself, I talked to carpentry and they said that a lot of the original Mean Streak structure was not removed when they converted the ride to Steve Vengeance. Of course I don’t have any source to back up my claim but if you want evidence that it’s accurate, compare Steel Vengeance to Iron Gwazi or Zadra where they are all about the same in height but have significantly different support styles. I’m not discounting the issues that the chain encountered with RMC, but I often remind myself what they asked RMC to do in one season; new technology across three of their parks is a pretty tall order.

• Like 3

With SV particularly, so much of the ride is inside the structure, which I would conjecture adds stress to the structure. Also, and is hearsay since I can't cite where I heard it, RMC recommended not reusing the lift hill on Mean Streak and building a new truss lift. But Cedar Fair/Point wanted to keep a wooden coaster look.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Also, and is hearsay since I can't cite where I heard it, RMC recommended not reusing the lift hill on Mean Streak and building a new truss lift. But Cedar Fair/Point wanted to keep a wooden coaster look.

It’s not a far fetched assumption though:

IMG_5010.jpeg

https://www.incrediblecoasters.com/SteelVengeancePhotos.html

IMG_5011.jpeg

https://coasterforce.com/iron-gwazi-opens-at-busch-gardens-tampa/

IMG_5012.jpeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zadra_(roller_coaster)

Upon my internship I saw a piece of wood dangling from SV and reported it. Carpentry came out and stated that was not integral to the ride’s structure and was just left over wood that was kept on from MS. They still shut the ride down and drilled the wood back in place but it didn’t seem like an urgent issue but likely would’ve looked odd to anyone who saw a piece of wood dangling. Again this was just a conversation I had so take it how you will.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
37 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Bumping this. Whatever we get next, it should be able to operate during Winferfest. Will the Snoopy coaster be able to?

From what I know it should be able to operate during Winterfest. Energylandia operates their family boomerang that is the exact same model as ours. And it was below 0 a few weeks ago. Plus, it only has one train so it shouldn’t take as long for maintenance in the off season anyway.

On 6/13/2023 at 2:19 AM, Tr0y said:

Hopefully they take a hard look at Iron Gwazi which has no TSA check, and to me personally, is better than Steel Vengeance and Twister Timbers.

The biggest difference is that the queues and paths around the coasters come closer to the ride.  There is nothing about the layout that separates the design of Iron Gwazi from the other coasters which allows for it to not have metal detectors.  So far Sea World has been more tolerant of loose objects, in part because the only people who can get hit are employees and people riding the coaster.  That might change at some point in the future.  Incidents like this have thankfully been rare, but a lot of items are being thrown from the ride. 

If the reports are true, SEAS had a ground up new RMC designed for Busch Gardens Williamsburg, but after operating Iron Gwazi for a year they decided to cancel the project and that’s why they instead are going with a family coaster, which is believed to be a B&M family invert.  Reports are the new coaster will be the exact location of the RMC so it will not be possible to build it in the future without changing the design.

The only repeat customers RMC has had are HFE and Six Flags.  I really like the companies coasters, Iron Gwazi is one of the best coasters I have ever ridden, but they really need to work on the maintenance and long term reliability.  A cheap purchase price is not enough, companies often look at the cost over the life of the attraction.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Kenban said:

The biggest difference is that the queues and paths around the coasters come closer to the ride.  There is nothing about the layout that separates the design of Iron Gwazi from the other coasters which allows for it to not have metal detectors.  So far Sea World has been more tolerant of loose objects, in part because the only people who can get hit are employees and people riding the coaster.  That might change at some point in the future.  Incidents like this have thankfully been rare, but a lot of items are being thrown from the ride. 

If the reports are true, SEAS had a ground up new RMC designed for Busch Gardens Williamsburg, but after operating Iron Gwazi for a year they decided to cancel the project and that’s why they instead are going with a family coaster, which is believed to be a B&M family invert.  Reports are the new coaster will be the exact location of the RMC so it will not be possible to build it in the future without changing the design.

The only repeat customers RMC has had are HFE and Six Flags.  I really like the companies coasters, Iron Gwazi is one of the best coasters I have ever ridden, but they really need to work on the maintenance and long term reliability.  A cheap purchase price is not enough, companies often look at the cost over the life of the attraction.

I agree. I think RMC should be worried. SeaWorld seems to be going away from them and turning to B&M with their investments. They almost lost their relationship with Herschend after Lightning Rod. With Cedar Fair owning more of the new Six Flags company, I don’t see them working with RMC for a long time. They don’t have a single IBOX coaster opening in 2024. Not counting SDC’s family coaster. 

1 hour ago, Kenban said:

BGW still has a huge plot of land we’re Drachen Fire coaster used to be. And there last two coaster additions were Intamin’s. I think they’re more concerned about ride experience than maintenance.

Thinking on this lately, I truly think with the news of Coney Island closing down, that Soak City really needs a refresh in the look/feel of it's footprint and a new attraction (or two) in the park.

The last time I was in Soak City (2022) half of the "action river" interactive and splash things were not working, I feel like they could use a handful more tubes for it as well.

Of course Soak City could also use a few shade structures/trees. I struggle walking around the waterpark barefoot and rarely can use water shoes with their lack of arch support, makes me wish there could be a softer type of walkway put in. 

As far as a new attraction, I'd like to see a record breaking (high capacity) water coaster ala Mammoth at Holiday World. 

At this time, I can't believe I'm saying this, I'd favor this over a main park new addition in the next capital project.

• Like 1