How can KI bring back Phantom Theater?

SonofBaconator

Honestly a lot of fans have wanted to see Phantom Theater make a return ever since Paramount replaced it back in 2003. We've seen Cedar Fair return a ton of old favorites to parks across the chain and KI has been no exception. 

Could KI return this beloved attraction? I'd imagine it wouldn't return in its original form but just seeing the IP return would be enough for me. I'd even take a haunt attraction themed to the story or even walk around characters during the fall season.

• Like 4

So for Halloween every year, the Indianapolis zoo hosts what they call 'Zoo Boo.'  During this event, they run their Carousel backwards and play Halloween themed music.  Would be cool if KI could do this during haunt.  Run theirs backwards (or not) but the big draw would be to play the Phantom Theater theme music through that Carousel's sound system.  It would sound awesome and could bring more riders onto a classic ride.

I think the premise of the question is flawed, as there is still a chance that the park could re-install the attraction as it was in a modern take. The layout would have to be restored, and major restoration of the original cars and figures would have to occur, but the park and chain has been on a nostalgia kick for some time now. I don't think it's too far to say that BBoBH is aging, rapidly. It is a new take on a system built in 2003, and we are now in 2021. The history is there, the enthusiasm of the attraction, is there, it is a cheap investment and would have a large ROI with families who missed the attraction. The whole building in my opinion just needs a deep cleaning and needs to be refreshed with a classic attraction. 

• Like 5

I feel like a redo of the attraction using modern technology would be fun. I don't think a slavish re-creation (same rooms/scenes) would be that great, as chances are the ride and its effects were likely much better in your memory than in reality (although it was a fun ride). But there was some clever IP to use and it holds a place in visitors' hearts. I think what was described above, a total redo of that building and installation of a new ride system (or, better yet, use something like the Crypt's building) that uses the IP to create a whole new experience might be fun. And KI has shown a willingness to celebrate its history and lean on nostalgia. A new, reimagined Phantom Theater isn't totally out of the question, particularly if you use projection mapping or something other than expensive animatronics. I don't think it will happen, but I don't think it's totally out of the question. 

• Like 4

There are plenty of (non-Disney) parks that feature “expensive” animatronics, yet they’re able to keep up with maintenance. Sally has done some pretty impressive work that far outshines Boo Blasters: 

I don’t want to come across as too insulting, but theming upkeep just hasn’t been a major priority for the park in the last ten years or so. (See AE) That said, it looks like that may be changing given some recent additions. 

A Phantom Theatre revival could definitely be possible. There are a wide variety of classic and contemporary dark rides adored by enthusiasts across the world. Animatronics are possible if done correctly and maintained over time. I’d just hate to see any new dark ride rely too heavily on screens. Scooby/Boo Blasters just lacked/lacks the charm of any attractions that previously resided in that building. 

Besides, if they were able to develop and open this type of attraction in 1992, I’m sure they’d be able to do it now. I’d love to see it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The problem with dark rides they go take a lot of up keep to make sure everything works. Go  ride Boo Blaster half the guns don’t work anymore. Also the effects on Mystic Timbers for some reason are gone. 
Kings Island does not have a good record of keeping themes working. 

• Like 1

As much as I would love to see PT make a comeback.  Other than KI enthusiasts, would the general public like to have the same experience of animatronics?

PT was a great experience in 1992.  In 2002- not so much.

Curse of DarKastle at BGW was a great dark ride and utilized the: video, 3D, special effects and motion motion simulation technology of the time, but it's lifespan only lasted 2005-2017 due to high maintenance and operating costs and low ridership.

Could CF make that same investment?  Never say never, but given the recent history, it does not seem to be in the cards.

• Like 1

I don't see Cedar Fair ever installing something like Phantom Theater at KI or any of their parks. I would love to see some kind of haunted attraction return to that building, but there would most likely be no kind of animatronics like seen on PT. Let's hope they see the absolute state of disrepair Boo Blasters is in and renovate sometime soon.

• 7 months later...

Call me crazy, but I would love to see a Midway Mania style attraction go where Boo Blasters currently is. I would love Phantom Theatre to be "reborn" in Action Zone, with an obvious area retheme to tie The Bat, Banshee, and Phantom Theatre together.