how do you guys spend your pre season?

Nutterie

Much of the off season is the busiest time of year for me with both jobs being in full force.

I used to watch alot of the Youtubers casually, but the events of last summer (Youtuber friends and sex scandals), I barely watch anything other than POVs.  It made me realize how childish most of them are.

• Like 2

Though I don't remember specifically what I've done in past offseasons (other than think about & miss KI), I know that I typically devote more time to my other big interest outside of roller coasters, Pokemon. My extended off season from 2019-??? (hopefully it'll end in 2021 or '22) due to the pandemic has among other things, made me double down on my Pokemon obsession. Lately, I've been playing a lot of Pokemon HeartGold as well as Pokemon Battle Revolution. However, during this time, I have beat* HG, Pearl and White as well as bought some games/accessories and Pokemon cards. It seems like there's always something more to do... lol

*In most cases, when I talked about "beating the game", I mean I have defeated the Elite Four (I say most because in the case of Pokemon White, there is the whole other half of Unova to explore plus the Elite Four rematch with the actual Champion... oof). Truthfully, a Pokemon game is never really over, what with filling the Pokedex, sidequests, training your Pokemon up to Lv. 100, trainer/Gym Leader rematches and postgame content such as finding previously inaccessible areas, catching Legendary Pokemon and extracurriculars like Contests, Pokeathelon and various battle facilities like the Battle Frontier/Masion/Tree, etc.

College sports (football then basketball) and the beginning of MLB baseball usually get me from November through April.  College football was at least tolerable this season, however, I have given up on basketball this season just with how covid has made things (to me) so uneven.   I'm also involved with the Westside Community Band from fall through spring.  Playing my sax in general helps a ton.  I'm a pretty big movie goer as well (though Jan-March is when filmmakers usually dump the bad stuff).  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lately, I've been on a big baking kick thanks to The Great British Bake Off. I recently tried my hand at knitting, but I'm not sure it's the thing for me. In previous off-seasons, I've tried skiing. In general, winter tends to be the time when I try new things.

Over the last handful of years, I've gotten back into video games after a decade-plus long hiatus. I'm wanting to finish playing through Undertale, Final Fantasy IX, Super Mario Sunshine, and Horizon Zero Dawn, but mostly I tend to play whatever I feel like playing at the time. :P And, of course, I wouldn't be a true coaster nerd if there wasn't some nerdy Youtube watching and article reading being done, too.

Not to overshare, but this particular off-season, the previous one, and the one before that have been big ones for working on my mental and emotional health. I've finally confronted some generational trauma that landed in my lap with increasing intensity over the last several years, and I've decided the cycle ends with me. It's been incredibly hard work, but so worth it. I'm happier than I've been in a decade. Different things work for different people, but if anyone is struggling with their mental health and has the means to see a therapist who they trust and learn from, I can't recommend it enough. Therapy (and you) are worth the effort.

Apologies for taking this on a bit of an unrelated tangent, but since we're here: During my times of mental health work, I also came to the realization that it was time for me to accept myself and come out as gay. I've since met someone, and we got engaged in December. So, I'm also trying out being a fiance for the first time. :)

• Like 5

With all this covid-ness happening, I've been concentrating on getting better on sax as well.  I've taken online lessons on alto to really push the horn to its limits as well as, basically, being able to play any piece of music you can put in front of me.   As seen in the random photo thread, I've also taken up the soprano sax, and after getting some minor work done to get it playing at its best, I'm ready to get really serious and try to get as good on soprano as I am on alto by the time any of my bands come back to play.  I'm also looking into recording covers of songs for fun.   Been transposing a TON of songs.  

• Like 2

Kings Island (In Your Backyard!) - YouTube Looks like these guys still manage to have fun during the off season. 

As for me, ever since last year I have became pretty sickly(my brain is having a hard time communicating with my body). Its nothing to serious, but I've been home bound since before covid had started. Its very hard to get exercise. I get lethargic and dizzy really easily and some times even black out. This lack of exercise has lead to stress and back pain. So to remedy this( I know this sounds silly, but it works) I cast Kings Island povs on my tv, grab a wooden rod, and twist and turn with the rides as exercise. It has really helped my back, especially rides like Shake Rattle and Roll, Adventure Express, Mystic Timbers, and The Beast! This way I don't get sick and my back can still tense and stretch. It's also a good way to kill the off season blues and an excuse to get some me time.     

• Like 3