Cedar Point to set age limit on dorms

https://sanduskyregister.com/news/302480/cedar-point-to-have-housing-age-limit/?fbclid=IwAR0sUPKACBZzZq3bielst2sVKVvVhJKxJt5uZcMzHPZsGlSEmTj5qwlS2Oo

No one over 30 is allowed to live in the dorms next year. The article does not give a reason, however Tony Clark said he does not believe it violates any anti-discrimination laws. To a handful of sycophants in Tony Clark’s circle I’m sure that’s enough to justify the decision. To everyone else reading I’d hope you would understand why it doesn’t.  

4 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

https://sanduskyregister.com/news/302480/cedar-point-to-have-housing-age-limit/?fbclid=IwAR0sUPKACBZzZq3bielst2sVKVvVhJKxJt5uZcMzHPZsGlSEmTj5qwlS2Oo

No one over 30 is allowed to live in the dorms next year. The article does not give a reason, however Tony Clark said he does not believe it violates any anti-discrimination laws. To a handful of sycophants in Tony Clark’s circle I’m sure that’s enough to justify the decision. To everyone else reading I’d hope you would understand why it doesn’t.  

why so much anger?

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Nemo said:

Kind of ridiculous! They can tell themselves it isn't age discrimination but in a court of law I don't see that working in Cedar Fairs favor if it came to that.

I think age discrimination only pertains to people above 65, so legally it’s probably okay. Ethically it’s very Kinzel-ish. 

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

The article states it is going into effect this year not next year.

Policies are typically “re-visited” when some type of an awkward situation has happened.   We don’t know what percentage of the CP workforce is not local AND above 30, but suspect they analyzed the data, and because the percentage was so low, decided not to deal with it instead of coming up with innovative, alternative housing solutions for them.  As schools and colleges are starting classes earlier in August (and many others looking for work), it would seem CP would want to welcome those non-locals over 30, especially non-local retirees, to help during the summer and extend the typical season.  However, CP typically brings in students from other countries (cheap labor) to fill many positions, but that premise may be risky this season due to the continuing COVID pandemic, Visa, and various individual country travel restrictions.   All of this points to “buy a Fast Lane for later in the season” as with less and less workers as the summer goes on, the lines will be much longer than normal (and they were already pretty long this past season) the closer it gets to Labor Day.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 5:38 PM, Captain Nemo said:

Kind of ridiculous! They can tell themselves it isn't age discrimination but in a court of law I don't see that working in Cedar Fairs favor if it came to that.

On 2/6/2021 at 5:50 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

I think age discrimination only pertains to people above 65, so legally it’s probably okay. Ethically it’s very Kinzel-ish. 

The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) only covers workers over the age of 40. But that only pertains to employment. This is not a requirement of employment so the ADEA does not apply to the dorms. As a private business they can choose who to rent to and who to not rent to, the same way a hotel or car rental company can require someone to be over 21/25/XX years old. Someone could sue if they wanted too, but the case would be moot as the law doesn't support their argument and I would imagine the judge would dismiss the case "with prejudice" meaning it couldn't be resubmitted later.

https://www.eeoc.gov/age-discrimination#:~:text=The Age Discrimination in Employment,younger workers from age discrimination.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 9:27 AM, grsupercity said:

No 18 year female wants to live in a dorm next to a creepy 45 year old male

I believe they're gender segregated. Also, I'm sure there's plenty of creeps under 45.  It's not a factor of age. I work with so many people over 45 and none of them are creeps.

• Like 1