POLL: The Fate of the Tomb Raider building

Captain Nemo

Poll: The Fate of Tomb Raiders show building  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One of Kings Islands most ambitious project to date has been Tomb Raider: The Ride. Without turning this into a history of the attraction Tomb Raider closed at the end of the 2007 season and it's follow up The Crypt closed the ride for good at the end of the 2011 season. For over a decade the Queue facade, tunnel, and show building has been standing in the ashes of what was once a headliner attraction as a seasonal Halloween Haunt maze. Now that it has been a decade since the rides removal, what do you feel should be done with this plot of land?

• Like 1

A flying theater like Soarin’ would be really cool in the Tomb Raider building. They could theme it to a flight through the Ohio Wilderness, and they could maybe tie Dayton’s history in aviation into it as well. I just hope they fit it into the theme of Rivertown. A flying theater would also be very immersive and add incredible depth to Kings Island as a whole. It would also be another family-orientated ride in Rivertown when there really aren’t that many.

• Like 2

Honestly I just want something else to do indoors. It would be a wise investment for something else to operate during Winterfest, and something to do when it's raining. When ever there's inclement weather, Flight of Fear and Boo Blasters are really the only options. Also A/C is awesome on scorching hot days.

• Like 1

I consider the building to be a blank canvas waiting to be painted. The outside can be retrofitted to have a mining facade. The building was built to house a top spin so I don't know what can be put inside. 

Blank canvas aside I fear that it might be more cost affective to demolish the building for expansion instead of spending money to renovate it for something new.

Cyclone Sams Worlds of Fun - YouTube 

I think we should put something like this in there, but with more elaborate theming and a more intense flat than a trabant. I would make it a psychedelic marsh theme and include a gigantic Alligator monster to rival the other monsters in river town.  

Either that or tear down the building and put a small water coaster there, but the former would be cool. 

I think they should tear it down and use that space for something new. A lot of people talk about putting in a new log ride as a replacement for the former log ride that operated there. Idk who makes log flumes now especially since parks are pretty much removing log flumes and water rides in the dry park. However, the main thing I want them to do is open the extended pathway on the right side of Beast's station where the exit used to be that's now being used as a backstage area. I found this picture of that area and it looks like you could go inside the red building. Idk if that was a gift shop or what it was if anyone remembers, please let me know.

Source: https://images.app.goo.gl/7LLqPqGydrb2yX6h8

20210208_185014.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I think they should tear it down and use that space for something new. A lot of people talk about putting in a new log ride as a replacement for the former log ride that operated there. Idk who makes log flumes now especially since parks are pretty much removing log flumes and water rides in the dry park. However, the main thing I want them to do is open the extended pathway on the right side of Beast's station where the exit used to be that's now being used as a backstage area. I found this picture of that area and it looks like you could go inside the red building. Idk if that was a gift shop or what it was if anyone remembers, please let me know.

Source: https://images.app.goo.gl/7LLqPqGydrb2yX6h8

20210208_185014.jpg

That looks so much better than that big tan box! The view of the Tomb Raider building from The Beast’s midway is probably one of the ugliest things to see in the entire park because all you can see is the fire escape stairs or whatever those steps are and whatever Kings Island is storing back there at any given time.

I would love for this to be kept as an indoor ride. KI needs more, and they can be pretty badass. I just realized how out of place the outside of this building is in Rivertown? It would be so cool to turn it into a indoor coaster like the Mineshaft ride in Dollywood-- that way they get a new indoor ride and can add some much-needed theming in Rivertown. 

• Like 1

Here's another idea, turn the building into a mine shaft like building like Mystery Mine's building pictured below, but make it either a dark ride OR an interactive attraction. Think Forbidden Frontier at Cedar Point, but indoors and themed around a mine. One of the activities they could have in there is one of those mining things where you take a box and a bag of rocks and put it into a thing of running water and it comes out as minerals. I know Carowinds added this when they debuted Blue Ridge Junction/Copperhead in 2019. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Frankly, I think the building is an excellent candidate to become a large 'barcade'. Given the location, the park could easily decorate it with either a full Rivertown theme or perhaps even a neon 80s style theming, given how close it is to the old Vortex plot. Alcoholic drinks could be sold and a wide selection of classic arcade cabinets could be made available. This is something that older guests with less affinity for the summer heat could certainly enjoy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shawn Meyer said:

Tear it down and relocate Congo falls over there. Congo falls where it's at seems far away from the rest of the water rides. Yes I know this would involve pouring new concrete, but it would be worth it in my opinion. 

I don't know if it would be cost effective, but you would have RFYL, WWC, and it right in the same location. Then a quick train ride from SC if you wanted to come ride all 3 of them.

• Like 2

I feel like if they painted it or did something to make it look less ugly, they could get creative with that space. I personally would love to see it be used for something like another flat ride, but if not I hope they can keep the queue. So I'm kind of stuck between options 2 and 4, but I'm leaning more towards 4.

• Like 2