How much longer for Gemini?

Its always been talked about in some capacity that Gemini at Cedar Point might be gone in the future. I've given this a lot of thought and would like to hear what you all think.

If you follow him, Airtime Thrills did a video on this where he talked about replacing the over 40 year old ride. One idea he had was something reminiscent of Steel Curtain at Kennywood, but with even more inversions.

imagejpeg_0.jpg

In a way this would make sense for a few reasons:

1. Its compact 
  2. Its heavy in inversions
  3. Could break records

There are certainly other options out there so I want to hear your thoughts

Gemini is in my bottom 4 in the park. Along with the mineride, wicked twister, and Corkscrew. Rides I usually skip. Iron Dragon is my number 11 and I don't ride it often due to lines being long and my fastlane not being good on that ride. Everything in my top 10 I try to ride when I am there. Rougaru is a better ride than Gemini. I think Cedar Point needs a huge Gravity Group coaster more than anything else. Something to compete with The Voyage and Hades 360.

Gemini serves the purpose of being a decent size "family" coaster.  Although not originally opened (or promoted) as such, it is not daunting.  IMO - the newer coasters at CP have grown to a disproportionate size that alienates a sector of younger, and less brave riders.  Gemini is high capacity, and still a terrifically fun ride.  Its actually a dont-miss for me when I go to CP.  I'd hate to see it go.

For posterity,  I have to chuckle when I read things like "CF would never put a _____ in their flagship park..."  Only because I can remember back in the day, the exact same thing was posted by many enthusiasts when the rumor mill began speculating that CP was looking at an Intamin Impulse!

Never say never ;-) 

• Like 5

Gemini's still a good ride, and it's a great intermediate ride for kids who aren't ready for the big stuff yet. It's a signature CP coaster, and it anchors an entire midway. I think it'll stay around for a bit. 

Cedar Creek Mine Train is the one I wouldn't mind seeing them lose; even as an intermediate coaster, it's one that I've seen kids roll their eyes at. 

2 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Gemini serves the purpose of being a decent size "family" coaster.  Although not originally opened (or promoted) as such, it is not daunting.  IMO - the newer coasters at CP have grown to a disproportionate size that alienates a sector of younger, and less brave riders.  Gemini is high capacity, and still a terrifically fun ride.  Its actually a dont-miss for me when I go to CP.  I'd hate to see it go.

For posterity,  I have to chuckle when I read things like "CF would never put a _____ in their flagship park..."  Only because I can remember back in the day, the exact same thing was posted by many enthusiasts when the rumor mill began speculating that CP was looking at an Intamin Impulse!

Never say never ;-) 

a "filler" intamin in between MF and TTD is not on the same level of a POS S&S.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, CoastersRZ said:

What is wrong with Gemini?  I find it to be a very fun and enjoyable ride.  Personally, I would rather they remove Rougaru before Gemini.  Even with the new floorless trains, that is a ride that I can skip on any visit to Cedar Point.

I prefer Gemini to Rougarou too. I got a ton of rides on it during the summer of 2018 where as I only rode Rougarou once. I think Gemini's age is what causes many people to question its life span. (I wouldn't mind if they removed Rougarou either)

• Like 1

Despite its aggressive nature, I really like Rougarou. I know it was an acquired taste for me as my first few rides were not the best - I blame this on going the second weekend of operations, as later that season it ran fantastic and quickly became one of my favorites. In fact, after driving 3.5 hours non-stop up to CP for my Labor Day 2019 trip, Rougarou was the first thing I rode (and it was worth the hour wait)! While I think it's a great coaster, I really would like to ride more (non-dive) Floorless coasters in the future (preferably with more inversions). ...but, to each their own...

Back on topic, I do enjoy Gemini as well. I like the think of it as a Steel Vengeance-lite as it is also a hybrid coaster.

2 hours ago, grsupercity said:

Ever since I saw Alton Towers build the Smiler I have pictured Cedar Point going for the inversion record

They used to have the world's tallest inversion with GateKeeper. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Valravn had the 2nd tallest at the time.

Going back to your comment, I agree that CP would want the inversion record.

• Like 1