Festhaus early years

Eric FL

• Eric FL changed the title to Festhaus early years

Interesting! 

I don't have any pictures, but man do I remember when going to the Festhaus for lunch and a show was an event. I remember when they had the ice-skating show in there for a bit. That was pretty cool and it really did feel like it was a centerpiece for entertainment. So many weird shows there during the Paramount era - not just the ice show, but also a "Cheers" musical (!) and  really silly game show that I loved as a kid. These days, it just feels kind of like an afterthought. The shows are fine, but I don't get the feeling that anyone's particularly excited to rush in and see it (that also might just be me getting older; maybe no one was ever excited for this but kids!). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cdubbs727 said:

Interesting! 

I don't have any pictures, but man do I remember when going to the Festhaus for lunch and a show was an event. I remember when they had the ice-skating show in there for a bit. That was pretty cool and it really did feel like it was a centerpiece for entertainment. So many weird shows there during the Paramount era - not just the ice show, but also a "Cheers" musical (!) and  really silly game show that I loved as a kid. These days, it just feels kind of like an afterthought. The shows are fine, but I don't get the feeling that anyone's particularly excited to rush in and see it (that also might just be me getting older; maybe no one was ever excited for this but kids!). 

I remember the Ice Skating show too!  One of my favorites was "Game On' which I think was the same game show that you are referring to.  That always made me laugh!  I want to say that show was going on the first year that Paramount owned the park.

• Like 1

As far as the original shows at the Festhaus... here are some Grainy print/ad images... The first two are of "World of Christmas" - the first show to play the Festhaus during Winterfest 1982.  The third is of "World Cabaret" that played the 1983 spring/summer/fall season.

Festhaus Winterfest 1983 2.JPG

Festhaus Winterfest 1983.JPG

Festhaus Winterfest 1983 3.JPG

• Like 3

For posterity, here's grainy concept art for the Festhaus, as well as a pic of how it actually looked when it was first built.

Trivia:  For 1983, the existing Beirgarten was remodeled and the bridge that extended over the Octoberfest pond was added - as to drive traffic between the two venues.

Festhaus Winterfest 1983 4.JPG

Festhaus Winterfest 1983 5.JPG

Festhaus Winterfest 1983 6.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the photos, is my child memory correct about the interior gazebos left and right of the main stage, or something I dreamed up?

Do you think there is chance now that the exterior has been restored that they may restore the interior and bring back the ceiling streamers and wall murals, or is it destined to just be a food court?

• 1 month later...