SF Fiesta/Over Texas Question

Hey all, I'm planning a trip in late april over a weekend and am trying to hit both Fiesta and Over Texas. I'll fly into San Antonio, Visit Fiesta, Either take bus or plane to DFW and visit OT. It's completely doable flight schedules wise and whatnot giving me 2 full days at both parks with how things line up. Before I continue planning and start setting things in stone, are both of these parks 1 day parks, or should I maybe try to separate them out and spend 2 weekends at each park or 4 days later on when they move to weekdays? I plan on getting the platinum elite membership (99% for the merch discount), and have no qualms with getting a flash pass because of the free upgrade.

Also, would it be best to buy the platinum elite membership now, or is that a permanent sale kinda thing? I hope to go to a few more six flags parks this summer as well as other Cedar Fair parks. Plus some independent ones like Dollywood or Kennywood and ofc HW/KK

Also, since we are on the subject, what are your other takes on how many days you should spend at a park? 1 day to get a feel for it, or 2-3 days to really soak up the experience? Would be helpful for my future trip planning as well as others. I'll start

Kentucky Kingdom: I actually left halfway through the day as the longest line was for Thunder Run, I didn't do any waterpark activities, but I'd say it's a solid 1, maybe 2 day park with waterpark. I got more rides than I could count on Storm Chaser and Kentucky Flyer, Lightning Run had a pretty good line though. Go when they open to avoid lines.

Holiday World: Went with Holiwood kNights so that may skew things, but basically the same as above. 1 full day for dry and maybe another for waterpark.

CP: Minimum 3 days, I still find stuff to do I've never done before. Even with a Fast Lane, the rides are extremely rerideable

If you're trying to do literally everything at both parks, which I feel like your post implies, I'm not sure exactly how much time to allot to each park. However, for me, I tend to hit up all the major coasters, a few flat rides, and nothing in the water park(s) and call it a day. Under that plan, I'd say both SFFT and SFOT are one-day parks--maybe two if it's busy. IF you want to allocate for an extra day under that plan and you have to choose between the two for some reason, I'd suggest SFOT. It's the bigger and busier park of the two, in my experience.

Also, a word to the wise: if you get to SFOT at opening, hit La Vibora first. If I remember correctly, it has the worst capacity of any coaster in the park, and it'll get and keep a line quickly. If you're at SFFT at opening and are in the mood for punishment, hit their Boomerang first. Don't go to Goliath, even though it's right at the front gate; it'll have a line at opening and nothing by mid-afternoon, much like Raptor at Cedar Point.

I can't speak to the Six Flags membership question. I've only ever had a season pass, and it's been a couple years since my last one.

Going off of the plan I mentioned earlier, it's rare for me to feel like I need more than one day at a new park.

Let us know how your trip goes! :) I love those parks and feel like they're never discussed as much as they deserve. If you're in the mood for Arrow-style airtime, I can't recommend the last row of Shock Wave enough.

8 hours ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

If you're trying to do literally everything at both parks, which I feel like your post implies, I'm not sure exactly how much time to allot to each park. However, for me, I tend to hit up all the major coasters, a few flat rides, and nothing in the water park(s) and call it a day. Under that plan, I'd say both SFFT and SFOT are one-day parks--maybe two if it's busy. IF you want to allocate for an extra day under that plan and you have to choose between the two for some reason, I'd suggest SFOT. It's the bigger and busier park of the two, in my experience.

Also, a word to the wise: if you get to SFOT at opening, hit La Vibora first. If I remember correctly, it has the worst capacity of any coaster in the park, and it'll get and keep a line quickly. If you're at SFFT at opening and are in the mood for punishment, hit their Boomerang first. Don't go to Goliath, even though it's right at the front gate; it'll have a line at opening and nothing by mid-afternoon, much like Raptor at Cedar Point.

I can't speak to the Six Flags membership question. I've only ever had a season pass, and it's been a couple years since my last one.

Going off of the plan I mentioned earlier, it's rare for me to feel like I need more than one day at a new park.

Let us know how your trip goes! :) I love those parks and feel like they're never discussed as much as they deserve. If you're in the mood for Arrow-style airtime, I can't recommend the last row of Shock Wave enough.

I actually completely forgot about the existence of SeaWorld San Antonio while I was thinking about this, so I may have to modify my plans a bit as I 1000% want to hit that as well. In terms of doing stuff at the parks, I like some flats but others are meh. For example, I rode one larson loop and didn't really care for it all that much, so I figure the others are the same. I also don't like the Drop Towers all that much. I do want to ride every coaster at the parks though, that is the goal of every park I visit, really increasing that credit count!

FYI SeaWorld San Antonio has the lowest price passes in the chain.  You can pickup a chain wide platinum pass pretty cheaply.  When they run sales around holidays it’s not uncommon to see them for around $130-140 although the last time I really watched the price was almost 2 years ago.  If you have any plans to visit Busch Gardens, Orlando or just other Seas parks in the next year it’s nice having a pass and can save you some money.  I do have a Platinum pass and my “home park” is San Antonio.

I have not had a chance to visit but you might also want to run over to ZDT’s Amusement Park when you are in the San Antonio area because I have heard nothing but good things about Switchback.  It only has the one coaster but it sounds like it is worth it.

If Fiesta Texas is doing their nighttime show when you visit make sure to stick around and try to find a good viewing area.

I have been to all of those parks and just buy the flash pass or quick queue typically, so have always been able to get them done to my satisfaction in a single day.  If you have extra time I would spend it in the San Antonio area. 

• Like 1